Stereo Mini-Plug to S/PDIF Coaxial Coverter?

tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
My old PC's motherboard had a coaxial S/PDIF connector on it which I used a lot to connect to my home theater receiver to watch movies.

But my new one doesn't have any audio ports beyond the regular stereo mini-plug out jack. Is there some converter cable I can get to convert the regular 3.5mm plug into S/PDIF coaxial?

I could probably get a PCI sound card to do this, but I was hoping for something that I could take around to different PCs and just plug in.

Any ideas?

pat

Expert
My old PC's motherboard had a coaxial S/PDIF connector on it which I used a lot to connect to my home theater receiver to watch movies.

But my new one doesn't have any audio ports beyond the regular stereo mini-plug out jack. Is there some converter cable I can get to convert the regular 3.5mm plug into S/PDIF coaxial?

I could probably get a PCI sound card to do this, but I was hoping for something that I could take around to different PCs and just plug in.

Any ideas?

it wont work. SPDIF is digital signal while the normal 3.5mm plug is analog.

tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I did some research into my new computer, (one of the new Mac Minis) and found that the 3.5mm audio jack supports both analog and digital audio through the copper interconnect from this page as well as a tiny optical port.

The format of the digital audio out might be different than S/PDIF Coax though ... I'm not too knowledgable about audio, really. Any ideas?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The type of the cable is irrelevant. Digital or analog is the amplitude output type. Digital outs can be of toslink/coaxial/stereo-mini in nature.

I'm not familiar with Apple products, and have never heard of a combined digital and analog out. Only thing I can think of, find out where the audio properties are for your Mac Mini, and select SPDIF bypass output.