What case will reduce the sound of a Raptor? Would be handy.

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You know these studio's have a very very good isolation with ventilation so musicians are able to play their music loud without neighbours hearing their music.
I wonder if technology nowadays have evolved that far they can take away the complaints of people that don't like the noise from their raptors harddisks and fans cooling their systems. I mean the future will not only bring bigger drives but also faster drives....and faster means more noise.....case designers should be able to know this and earn big money with a new kind of design that will reduce noise.

So my question is...is there a case brand that has finally woke up to make an isolating case to solve these noise problems while remaining cool?

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I don't know about the best sound damping case, but I do know about quieting Raptors.

I used felt washers around each of the mounting holes and made sure all the screws were firmly tight. This has rendered my Raptor nearly inaudible.

Rubber washers should also work.

G

The antec P180 is really good in that respect. I uses rubber washer and has special door with (foam/fiber glass??) in it to absorb the sound.

Also the P150 has some sort of bungie hangers for HD, that should be good also!

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
YEs, rubber washers....heared that one before. But I also read about rubber washers that dry out and rapture so your harddisk could get damaged. The Raptor is kinda hot you know unless you cool them down. But thx anyways. :)

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The antec P180 is really good in that respect. I uses rubber washer and has special door with (foam/fiber glass??) in it to absorb the sound.

Also the P150 has some sort of bungie hangers for HD, that should be good also!

Wow, I've read some reviews about the P180 and it sounds like a winner to me. :D
Nice one thx.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
There are many ways to reduce the noise of the hard drive other than just case selection or insulation.

1. Disconnect power.
2. Use as far as you can from the computer.
3. Crank up the sound really loud.
4. Use ear plugs.
5. Don't pay attention. Sometimes ignorance is a bless. Mostly stupid.
6. Put up a brick wall between you and that loud pc.

Now a more practical approach.

1. You can use a case that don't have much vents, that way the sound stays inside but side effect is so does the heat. Besides most hard drives sets on front of the case right behind the front fan intake for cooling, and obviously that's why we can hear it running. So research for a good case that traps sound but vents out warm air efficiently.

2. By insulating the case with sound dampening materials, you would deadens the sound but then again traps heat and increasing the temperature inside the case.

3. Using insulations and vibration dampers on the hard drive.

Here's some you can use.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g7/c113/list/p1/Sound_Dampening-HDD_Silencers.html

I can hear my two Raptors in raid 0 but it doesn't really bother me since I play games on this pc mostly and with fairly loud volume and myself constantly screaming at the monitor while gaming.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Don't know why you feel obligated to get a raptor... their not exactly supposed to be the quietest hdd's around... sort like asking if you can get a 1000hp motor and make it whisper quiet... it can be done, but thats a lot of trouble and effort...

A lot of cases these days come with little things to try to insulate noise, P180's been mentioned, bungie's been mentioned, rubber grommet's been mentioned, there are also special rails, yadda yadda yadda...

But the main thing is what are you willing to sacrifice? Cooling for sound, or sound for cooling... that's a battle of epic proportions!

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Now a more practical approach.

1. You can use a case that don't have much vents, that way the sound stays inside but side effect is so does the heat. Besides most hard drives sets on front of the case right behind the front fan intake for cooling, and obviously that's why we can hear it running. So research for a good case that traps sound but vents out warm air efficiently.

I dont agree with you on this one. There is always a difference in for example airflow arrangement. The better the airflow the less temperature. Second...the less airvents is not really the case with the P180. It just uses large silent fans that also coop in making this case a silent one. So, good airflow big 12CM fans and 3 airvents proofs too be silent and also proof to silence the Raptor in a decent way not only by the rubber grommets but also by the way it's build and materials being used.

I mean we are talking about a quality case here for not that much money. It just invites us to buy a fast drive that yes produces a lot of noise....noise we can't hear. It got big plusses in reviews because of it's cooling capabilities.....so yes..cooling and silence does belong to the possabilities. Excuse me for my poor english. ;)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I know this for a fact since before I have use a single raptor on my Gateway pc. It was quite, couldn't barely hear the hd running. On my Thermaltake Kandalf on the other hand, I noticed the clicking and clacking from it.