Restore a picture

Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used as a
desktop picture?
It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the desktop,
but B/W on the display background, under display properties)
15 answers Last reply
More about restore picture

    If it is currently being displayed on the Desktop then it must still be on
    your Hard Drive somewhere.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used as
    > desktop picture?
    > It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the
    > desktop,
    > but B/W on the display background, under display properties)

    >> It is in colour on the desktop, but B/W on the display background, under display properties

    Is this happening to all the pictures, or the one in particular?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message news:3b3Ad.200979$Np3.8377299@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
    Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used as a
    desktop picture?
    It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the desktop,
    but B/W on the display background, under display properties)

    Just this one. What happened was I installed and used Olympus CanMedia
    software to fiddle with a few pictures. In the process of doing something, I
    looked at the help screens, which indicated that deleting a picture via
    their software deleted from the HD, bypassing Recycle bin. Here is their
    wording
    "
    Deleting Files
    Note
    This operation completely deletes files from the computer hard disk, without
    transferring them to the Windows recycle bin or Macintosh trash."

    I think I may have deleted a picture or two, thinking it was just being
    deleted out of CanMedia software, as seems to happen with most other
    software.
    I rebooted overnight, and the picture is still on the desktop, but I can't
    find it anywhere else.

    >> It is in colour on the desktop, but B/W on the display background, under
    display properties

    Is this happening to all the pictures, or the one in particular?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used as a
    desktop picture?
    It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the desktop,
    but B/W on the display background, under display properties)

    Happy you might be able to find the file by running this free tool
    http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html. If possible download onto
    another computer, open the zip and save to a floppy then on your computer
    run the Restoration.exe file from the floppy. This will locate most deleted
    files. Please be advised that the more you use your computer the greater the
    risk of overwriting deleted files.

    On the other hand I am not certain how you can still be running the file as
    a desktop image if it has been deleted.

    --

    > Just this one. What happened was I installed and used Olympus CanMedia
    > software to fiddle with a few pictures. In the process of doing something,
    > looked at the help screens, which indicated that deleting a picture via
    > their software deleted from the HD, bypassing Recycle bin. Here is their
    > wording
    > "
    > Deleting Files
    > Note
    > This operation completely deletes files from the computer hard disk,
    > without
    > transferring them to the Windows recycle bin or Macintosh trash."
    >
    > I think I may have deleted a picture or two, thinking it was just being
    > deleted out of CanMedia software, as seems to happen with most other
    > software.
    > I rebooted overnight, and the picture is still on the desktop, but I can't
    > find it anywhere else.
    >

    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> It is in colour on the desktop, but B/W on the display background, under
    > display properties
    >
    > Is this happening to all the pictures, or the one in particular?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used as
    > desktop picture?
    > It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the
    > desktop,
    > but B/W on the display background, under display properties)

    Thank you Ramesh! I don't know how it worked, but it did, and that's what's
    important. Somehow, the file "changed it's stripes" from a jpg to bmp file.
    (5.5mg, instead of 350kb!) but at least I have the picture. When I tried to
    save it as a jpg instead of bmp, a warning came up that it could become
    unstable. What does that mean?
    Thanks also to Harry Ohm for the Restoration file. I will keep that for my
    next deletion adventure!

    > Happy you might be able to find the file by running this free tool
    > http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html. If possible download onto
    > another computer, open the zip and save to a floppy then on your computer
    > run the Restoration.exe file from the floppy. This will locate most
    deleted
    > files. Please be advised that the more you use your computer the greater
    the
    > risk of overwriting deleted files.
    >
    > On the other hand I am not certain how you can still be running the file
    as
    > a desktop image if it has been deleted.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > > Just this one. What happened was I installed and used Olympus CanMedia
    > > software to fiddle with a few pictures. In the process of doing
    something,
    > > looked at the help screens, which indicated that deleting a picture via
    > > their software deleted from the HD, bypassing Recycle bin. Here is their
    > > wording
    > > "
    > > Deleting Files
    > > Note
    > > This operation completely deletes files from the computer hard disk,
    > > without
    > > transferring them to the Windows recycle bin or Macintosh trash."
    > >
    > > I think I may have deleted a picture or two, thinking it was just being
    > > deleted out of CanMedia software, as seems to happen with most other
    > > software.
    > > I rebooted overnight, and the picture is still on the desktop, but I
    can't
    > > find it anywhere else.
    > >

    > > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > display properties
    > >
    > > Is this happening to all the pictures, or the one in particular?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >

    > > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used
    as
    > > desktop picture?
    > > It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the
    > > desktop,
    > > but B/W on the display background, under display properties)

    rather than just changing the extension of the file from .bmp to .jpg you
    need to convert the file. If you open it in MS Paint you should then be able
    to use Save As to save it as a .jpg

    Doing that will create a file which is reduced in size from 5.5MB down to
    around 250KB

    --

> [...]
    >> > I rebooted overnight, and the picture is still on the desktop, but I
    > can't
    >> > find it anywhere else.
    >> >

    >> > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > under
    >> > display properties
    >> >
    >> > Is this happening to all the pictures, or the one in particular?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP Shell/User
    >> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >> >

    >> > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used
    > as
    >> > desktop picture?
    >> > It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the
    >> > desktop,
    >> > but B/W on the display background, under display properties)

    To locate the picture, try this:

    Open Regedit and navigate to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

    Note down the value of "Wallpaper" which contains the path to the current Wallpaper.

    If it's a standard XP background, extract it from XP CD.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message news:tQfAd.201109$Np3.8399460@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
    Just this one. What happened was I installed and used Olympus CanMedia
    software to fiddle with a few pictures. In the process of doing something, I
    looked at the help screens, which indicated that deleting a picture via
    their software deleted from the HD, bypassing Recycle bin. Here is their
    wording
    "
    Deleting Files
    Note
    This operation completely deletes files from the computer hard disk, without
    transferring them to the Windows recycle bin or Macintosh trash."

    I think I may have deleted a picture or two, thinking it was just being
    deleted out of CanMedia software, as seems to happen with most other
    software.
    I rebooted overnight, and the picture is still on the desktop, but I can't
    find it anywhere else.

    >> It is in colour on the desktop, but B/W on the display background, under
    display properties

    Is this happening to all the pictures, or the one in particular?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    Does anyone know how to restore a picture that is currently being used as a
    desktop picture?
    It seems to have disappeared out of my HD. (It is in colour on the desktop,
    but B/W on the display background, under display properties)

    You're welcome Happy. Glad to see you were able to locate the file.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message news:SRlAd.201284$Np3.8405202@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
    Thank you Ramesh! I don't know how it worked, but it did, and that's what's
    important. Somehow, the file "changed it's stripes" from a jpg to bmp file.
    (5.5mg, instead of 350kb!) but at least I have the picture. When I tried to
    save it as a jpg instead of bmp, a warning came up that it could become
    unstable. What does that mean?
    Thanks also to Harry Ohm for the Restoration file. I will keep that for my
    next deletion adventure!

    <snip>

    Thanks for that tip re. "paint" program. It worked just fine (saving me file
    space to boot!)
    What does happen when you try to save a file like that to a different
    format, and the warning comes up that it may become unstable. What happens
    when it is "unstable"?

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:14:45 GMT, Happy wrote:

    > Thanks-- doesn't sound good---better to avoid doing it, is the message I
    > get!

    TIP: When editing images, work from a copy of the original file. That way
    you always have the original on hand. Useful if you goof up editing or want
    to create a different project from the same image.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    What is the best tool or software, to use in editing pictures? All I have is
    MS office picture manager. (By best I mean easiest to use for basic
    functions, and inexpensive)

    > What is the best tool or software, to use in editing pictures? All I
    > have is MS office picture manager. (By best I mean easiest to use for
    > basic functions, and inexpensive)

    IrfanView is free and pretty versatile:
    http://www.irfanview.com

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:38:05 GMT, Happy wrote:

    > What is the best tool or software, to use in editing pictures? All I have is
    > MS office picture manager. (By best I mean easiest to use for basic
    > functions, and inexpensive)

    Frank has mentioned IrfanView - a must have on my systems.

    Paint Shop Pro is a decent starter program for painting, illustrations,
    animations and image editing. I constantly find myself using their photo
    editing tools and think they're quite effective and easy to use. Have heard
    some good comments about Microsoft's Digital Image program but have never
    tried it. Both are around $100 but can be bought for less if you shop for a
    sale.

    I also use Corel's Painter and ArtRage on my desktop and tablet pc. ArtRage
    is free but platform specific (created especially for tablets). Painter is
    not a program that I would term as inexpensive but the art tools it
    contains behave very much like their real counterparts. I find it
    fascinating to work with.

    There's plenty of other good editing and/or painting programs. The above
    are just my personal favorites.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    What got me started was a need to remove the little bright circles which
    sometimes appear in my photos. I tried IRFAN VIEW after Franks suggestion
    today, but have not yet found the answer, but only played with it for 15
    minutes or so.

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:09:53 GMT, Happy wrote:

    > What got me started was a need to remove the little bright circles which
    > sometimes appear in my photos. I tried IRFAN VIEW after Franks suggestion
    > today, but have not yet found the answer, but only played with it for 15
    > minutes or so.

    Jasc has a trial on their Paint Shop Pro. It's a large download if you have
    dialup but it's fully functional and a good way to get a look at the
    software before laying out dollars for it.

    On Christmas weekend, my sister brought some great photos over of my 7
    month old nephew. Unfortunately they had a lot of redeye in them. A few
    clicks in Paint Shop Pro and the pictures were salvaged, printed and handed
    out to the rest of the family.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User