Radeon X800 PRO 256MB PRO AGP compatibility issues

vedgecide

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Hi all!

I've just got a ATI Radeon X800 PRO 256MB AGP and I'm having a major problem: my computer doesn't even startup. When I press the power button, I hear a few beeps and no display is coming out. I make sure that I've plugged a power supply cable into the graphic card.

Here are my hardware spec:

CPU: Athlon XP 2800+
M/B: MSI KT6V-LSR w/ VIA KT600 Chipset
Memory: 2 x 512MB 400DDR Kingston
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 4
Old video Card: ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB AGP (work fine presently)
PSU: ... 350W

Is 350W for the power supply enough? I have a doubt about this...
Is there anyone who can help me on this? I'm really disapointed of my last buy!!! I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance,

Max who's trying to keep :)

georgelawton

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Hi all!

I've just got a ATI Radeon X800 PRO 256MB AGP and I'm having a major problem: my computer doesn't even startup. When I press the power button, I hear a few beeps and no display is coming out. I make sure that I've plugged a power supply cable into the graphic card.

Here are my hardware spec:

CPU: Athlon XP 2800+
M/B: MSI KT6V-LSR w/ VIA KT600 Chipset
Memory: 2 x 512MB 400DDR Kingston
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 4
Old video Card: ATI Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB AGP (work fine presently)
PSU: ... 350W

Is 350W for the power supply enough? I have a doubt about this...
Is there anyone who can help me on this? I'm really disapointed of my last buy!!! I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance,

Max who's trying to keep :)

Did you plug the power adapter into the video card?

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I hear a few beeps and no display is coming out. I make sure that I've plugged a power supply cable into the graphic card.

Did you plug the power adapter into the video card?

Did you read his post? :roll:

To the OP: pay close attention to your beep codes and look them up online. There is a certain order to the type of beep that you're getting, and it should help give us more information on where the problem lies. IE a long, single beep that doesn't stop, or 3 beeps in rapid succession, etc.

Is the video card new/retail? Or did you buy it used? Where did you buy it from? It's possible that your card is dead. Another thing to check would be the seating. Make sure the card is slotted in all the way, or take it out entirely and reseat it after you make sure there isn't anything in the slot itself like dust.

vedgecide

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for the answer!

I'll try to find out what is the error code when it starts.

Card is used and bought on eBay. But I've tried it in my roomate's computer and it works. He has a Intel mother board, so it's why I suspect compatibility issue.

What about my PSU? Should I have more than 350W?

Thanks again!

Max

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Your PSU seems fine to me, but I could be mistaken. What brand is it?
I've had an athlon xp 3200, 2x512 ddr400 corsair, 9800 pro 128mb, audigy 2, 2 optical drives and 3 hard drives running off an antec 350w before. It did start to buckle under some strain over time though. You might just be on the edge, especially if it's an older psu...but I'm not exactly sure how likely that is.

vedgecide

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Well my PSU is almost 3 years old I think, if it's not 4, and it's a Enermax EG365P-VE. I'll definetly try to change PSU to see if it solve my problem.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Haven't heard of it, but then again I've never been too keen on keeping up with compatibility issues. What's the difference between your roomate's comp and yours?

vedgecide

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
My roomate has a Intel D865 Pearl motherboard with a 3 GHz Pentium 4. Don't know how much Watts he have in his PSU, can't see it without removing it... I'm still trying to find a solution other than selling my new card!!!

Thanks again for your advice Siba!

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Your power supply is at the minimum recommended for that card. Also make sure the card is seated all the way into the AGP slot. Pop it out then back in once or twice to make sure it is all the way in there.

You could try to clear the CMOS and see what happens.

vedgecide

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Well, I think I really got a compatibility issue... or my video card is fu**ed-up!!! I've tried it with my brothers motherboard (also a MSI KT6V, but another model) and I've got the same problem, same beep code!

Is it possible that a 3D card looses a part of its firmware so it will not work for different motherboards?

vedgecide

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
I tried this without success... anyway, I've almost sell the card to a guy a my job, it's working in it's computer! So it ends my problem for now :lol:

Think I'm gonna switch to a PCI-E mobos instead!