cooling fan on videocard

italian

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I have some good news, XFX is awesome my 6800 agp card went out so I RMAed it. They are going to replace it. They nolonger have agp cards so I get a pci-e. Now for the bad new it is a 7600 with out a cooling fan???
I have never got a videocard without a fan, my antice TNT2 32meg had a fan. Now a faster card had no fan, heat is our enemy right?? I have great air flow in my case but. in your guys opinon do I need a fan on my video card?

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Does it have a Heatsink? It's probably just a better cooler like this http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/14/thermalrights_the_hr-03_is_a_vga_cooler_gorilla/. It is fanless. And if it was a 7600gs their mostly all fanless. And some GT versions aswell fanless ones.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
not everything has to hav a fan, somtimes its better without one ( noise is our enemy too).

if its from reputable brands, dnt wory bout it ( dnt oc it just as well )

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
The card you're getting is a 7600GS, and it is better than your vanilla 6800.

Buy some aftermarket cooling and overclock the balls off it.

My neighbor has one with a Zalman, and we got over 100Mhz out of the core and memory.....it was a big performance increase.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
As long as it's not giving you any problem during operation then don't worry about the temps. If it does or you want to have an active cooling on that card then look at Zalman and Artic Cooling for they have some of the best after market cooler for GPU.

no not like that, no pipe just a heatsink like the old days, like this card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2412163&CatId=28
screw a fan into it is you want one...i did it to allot of passive cards....then i just said screw that...silence is good....and it will not hurt the card...thats a fair sized heatsink

also check this out

gigabyte_7600gt_silentpipeII-02big.jpg

if i remember it is supposed to be as cool as the one with a fan....

pauldh

Illustrious
While the 7600GS is a better card, I'm not so sure I'd be thrilled with XFX for replacing an AGP card with a PCI-e card. I'd tell them you want a 7600GS AGP. (worth more money ;) ) If you upgrade to PCI-e anyway, you can sell the 7600GS AGP (even unopened if it's a sealed package) and buy a 7600GT PCI-e with the money.