Looking for DirectX controllable camera

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.misc,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I work as a developer with Photomodeler (a close range photogrammetry
system) and I'm working on a project to do some automatic image
acquisition (and subsequent processing) from a set of digital cameras.
I've been working with the LeadTools DirectX wrapper and using a
couple of Logitech QuickCam pro 4000 cameras with good (but
inadequate) preliminary results.

The problem is that I need an image format larger than 640x480 for the
project I'm working on and that seems to be the best I can get out of
the QuickCam 4000s through Leadtools; the cameras have a
software-interpolated megapixel format (which would be ok) but I can't
seem to access it using the LeadTools software which leads me to
suspect that it's being done off-camera by the Logitech QuickCapture
application. [I realize that I could do my own interpolation but I'd
like to leave that as a last resort.] I'm willing to experiment with
other consumer-level cameras (not necessarily a webcam) but it seems
to be difficult to find out which cameras have image acquisition which
can be controlled by LeadTools/DirectX. Many digital cameras seem to
be advertised as 'USB' cameras but for the most part, that seems to
mean that hooking them up to a pc allows someone to get at the images
as a storage device.

So my question is: Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (consumer)
digital camera which can provide megapixel-size images and which can
be controlled by DirectX/LeadTools for grabbing an image? [I don't
need zoom or positioning controls and B&W would be ok, if that helps.]

Thanks to any digital camera wizards out there who can help me out
with a recommendation... N

----------------------
Nou Dadoun
Eos Systems / PhotoModeler
Leaders in Close Range Photogrammetry
http://www.photomodeler.com
ndadoun AT eossystems.com
604.732.6658 x106
4 answers Last reply
More about looking directx controllable camera
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.misc,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Nou Dadoun wrote:
    > I work as a developer with Photomodeler (a close range photogrammetry
    > system) and I'm working on a project to do some automatic image
    > acquisition (and subsequent processing) from a set of digital cameras.
    > I've been working with the LeadTools DirectX wrapper and using a
    > couple of Logitech QuickCam pro 4000 cameras with good (but
    > inadequate) preliminary results.
    >
    > The problem is that I need an image format larger than 640x480 for the
    > project I'm working on and that seems to be the best I can get out of
    > the QuickCam 4000s through Leadtools; the cameras have a
    > software-interpolated megapixel format (which would be ok) but I can't
    > seem to access it using the LeadTools software which leads me to
    > suspect that it's being done off-camera by the Logitech QuickCapture
    > application. [I realize that I could do my own interpolation but I'd
    > like to leave that as a last resort.] I'm willing to experiment with
    > other consumer-level cameras (not necessarily a webcam) but it seems
    > to be difficult to find out which cameras have image acquisition which
    > can be controlled by LeadTools/DirectX. Many digital cameras seem to
    > be advertised as 'USB' cameras but for the most part, that seems to
    > mean that hooking them up to a pc allows someone to get at the images
    > as a storage device.
    >
    > So my question is: Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (consumer)
    > digital camera which can provide megapixel-size images and which can
    > be controlled by DirectX/LeadTools for grabbing an image? [I don't
    > need zoom or positioning controls and B&W would be ok, if that helps.]
    >
    > Thanks to any digital camera wizards out there who can help me out
    > with a recommendation... N

    Hi...

    Old, retired, and stroke damaged. But wrote lots of
    software (mostly shareware), and digital photography
    has been my prime hobby for years.

    Tell me a little about "LeadTools", or where I can
    see what it is... perhaps I can help - slim chance,
    but a possibility. And/or tell me a little more
    about your project.

    Take care.

    Ken
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.misc,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<BPUnc.440318$Ig.330225@pd7tw2no>...
    > Nou Dadoun wrote:
    > > I work as a developer with Photomodeler (a close range photogrammetry
    > > system) and I'm working on a project to do some automatic image
    > > acquisition (and subsequent processing) from a set of digital cameras.
    > > I've been working with the LeadTools DirectX wrapper and using a
    > > couple of Logitech QuickCam pro 4000 cameras with good (but
    > > inadequate) preliminary results.
    > >
    > > The problem is that I need an image format larger than 640x480 for the
    > > project I'm working on and that seems to be the best I can get out of
    > > the QuickCam 4000s through Leadtools; the cameras have a
    > > software-interpolated megapixel format (which would be ok) but I can't
    > > seem to access it using the LeadTools software which leads me to
    > > suspect that it's being done off-camera by the Logitech QuickCapture
    > > application. [I realize that I could do my own interpolation but I'd
    > > like to leave that as a last resort.] I'm willing to experiment with
    > > other consumer-level cameras (not necessarily a webcam) but it seems
    > > to be difficult to find out which cameras have image acquisition which
    > > can be controlled by LeadTools/DirectX. Many digital cameras seem to
    > > be advertised as 'USB' cameras but for the most part, that seems to
    > > mean that hooking them up to a pc allows someone to get at the images
    > > as a storage device.
    > >
    > > So my question is: Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (consumer)
    > > digital camera which can provide megapixel-size images and which can
    > > be controlled by DirectX/LeadTools for grabbing an image? [I don't
    > > need zoom or positioning controls and B&W would be ok, if that helps.]
    > >
    > > Thanks to any digital camera wizards out there who can help me out
    > > with a recommendation... N
    >
    > Hi...
    >
    > Old, retired, and stroke damaged. But wrote lots of
    > software (mostly shareware), and digital photography
    > has been my prime hobby for years.
    >
    > Tell me a little about "LeadTools", or where I can
    > see what it is... perhaps I can help - slim chance,
    > but a possibility. And/or tell me a little more
    > about your project.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    For a little more detail:

    LeadTools MultiMedia is a DirectX/DirectShow wrapper that encapsulates
    the MS functionality within fairly easy to use player/capture objects
    with a good filter library etc. (In fact, there is a bicubic
    interpolation filter which I can use to resize the image if I need to
    as a last resort.)

    http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/Multimedia/Multimedia-Products-n.htm

    Our system Photomodeler is a close range photogrammetry (i.e.
    measurement from photographs) system, which (among other things) is
    used to build geometric models from photographs. Given the right
    conditions, it can automatically mark points in photographs, figure
    out the correspondences between (AKA reference) those points and
    construct the 3d geometry of the object or scene within the
    photographs with a high degree of accuracy.

    http://www.photomodeler.com

    But as I say, I'm actually looking for a camera recommendation; that
    is, a medium-resolution (better than VGA) camera with (preferably) a
    USB connection over which a computer can snap the shutter and acquire
    an image automatically.

    Thanks ... N

    ----------------------
    Nou Dadoun
    Eos Systems / PhotoModeler
    Leaders in Close Range Photogrammetry http://www.photomodeler.com
    ndadoun AT eossystems.com 604.732.6658 x106
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.misc,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Nou Dadoun wrote:
> [...]
    > interpolation filter which I can use to resize the image if I need to
    > as a last resort.)
    >
    > http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/Multimedia/Multimedia-Products-n.htm
    >
    > Our system Photomodeler is a close range photogrammetry (i.e.
    > measurement from photographs) system, which (among other things) is
    > used to build geometric models from photographs. Given the right
    > conditions, it can automatically mark points in photographs, figure
    > out the correspondences between (AKA reference) those points and
    > construct the 3d geometry of the object or scene within the
    > photographs with a high degree of accuracy.
    >
    > http://www.photomodeler.com
    >
    > But as I say, I'm actually looking for a camera recommendation; that
    > is, a medium-resolution (better than VGA) camera with (preferably) a
    > USB connection over which a computer can snap the shutter and acquire

    Hi Nou...

    I don't think I can help much; but perhaps a little...

    Virtually all of my experience is with Olympus
    branded cameras, so I'll speak to them - perhaps
    a little will also apply to other makers.

    A long time ago (in digital camera terms) I (and many
    others) wrote our own software that spoke to the
    camera serial ports. This was easily done

    Far and away the most eloquent of us wrote (and
    shared freely) a piece called came09. This, I
    suspect, will do all and more than what you
    want - provided I understand your project sufficiently
    well.

    That works well on every Olympus camera I've owned
    but through the serial port.

    Now most if not all current cameras are USB, and you've
    mentioned that you'd prefer it. It is clearly
    incredibly faster. But from what I saw that you
    were doing on your website, perhaps speed isn't too
    very important? (buildings don't move very fast :)
    I could be wrong; if so apologize.

    Now to talk to Olympus's with USB ports, Olympus
    has kept the standard secret. They will however
    sell a sdk kit - two versions, of which only the
    "pro" grade would be of interest to you. For that,
    they want $800 US.

    Only you know your resources, but perhaps serial is
    good enough. The last camera I have that I'm sure
    is serial is the D-460z. Came09 talks to it just
    fine, controlling everything but the zoom.
    Came09 is freeware; and a used d-460 should be
    very inexpensive on ebay.

    Let me know if I can help further. My reply to is
    valid if you prefer; I suspect not too many in the
    ng's will be interested :)

    Take care.

    Ken
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.directx.misc,alt.comp.periphs.webcam,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Nou Dadoun wrote:

    Hi again...

    After the last message I went snooping around,
    and stumbled across this site.

    http://www.breezesys.com/PSRemote/

    They offer usb control of Canon powershot cameras.

    Free download trial version (seems to do all except
    save pics to hdd) Price $49 (didn't notice, but
    assume US)

    Don't know either the software, or canon digital,
    so you're on your own.

    Take care.

    Ken

    dollars.