POST does 3 beeps with no memory installed

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
My mobo gives three beeps with only the CPU installed. Is this normal? I stripped it down to only the CPU because I thought the memory was bad but it still gives the error beeps. Thanks.

If its an Intel M/B the 3 beeps should mean no memory, so if you get the 3 beeps with or without the memory modules installed, you either have bad memory or a bad M/B.

If its not an Intel M/B check your manual for diagnostic beep codes or the M/Bs manufacturers website.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Ok, now it doesn't post at all. The cpu fan spins up for a second then stops. Did I fry the board or something?

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Ok, now it doesn't post at all. The cpu fan spins up for a second then stops. Did I fry the board or something?

I have a board that was doing that and I discovered one of my PCI cards was not fully seated. My cheap case was slightly distorted as it sat on the table without the cover to make it more rigid. The video card was up just a bit. Reseated and then it posted ok.

I hope you are as lucky.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
I have a board that was doing that and I discovered one of my PCI cards was not fully seated. My cheap case was slightly distorted as it sat on the table without the cover to make it more rigid. The video card was up just a bit. Reseated and then it posted ok.

I hope you are as lucky.

Thanks, but the only thing that is on the board right now is the cpu and a memory stick. When I take out the memory stick I still get the same problem. I'm thinking something is either wrong with the processor or the board. Maybe it's time to get a new computer *sigh*.

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
You didn't mention which motherboard you have.

If its the Asus P5B and its not posting after you put memory in, its because it hates whatever sticks of ram you put in. If that's the case then your choices are new ram or new motherboard.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

If its the Asus P5B and its not posting after you put memory in, its because it hates whatever sticks of ram you put in. If that's the case then your choices are new ram or new motherboard.

I thought you needed cpu ram and a video card to post? try just those 3 things installed and see what you get.

also along with what mobo you have please tell us why it is you stripped the pc down to the mobo and cpu? If you were having problems before that caused you to do this tell us. This may tell us you had a different problem to start with and you don't need to go this far in troubleshooting.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
I have a Gigabyte 7vtxe board. I don't recall what was the latest bios version I installed.

I am installing my mobo in my dad's computer to upgrade it. I started with the mobo, processor, 128mb memory, and AGP 1.0 video card. Thing started beeping so I removed the video card. Still beeping. Remove the memory, still beeping. Suddenly the processor fan spins down and then the computer won't boot anymore.

Thanks for the help.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
It doesn't provide any error beeps anymore. In fact it just spins up and shuts down immediately. Not sure if the memory is ok, but it was acting up even without the memory. I went back to my old board. Thanks for the help.

agent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Yes, I used standoffs. I'm pretty sure I put it in correctly. It was only the board with power and CPU installed. You don't think the power supply is too low do you?

"Acting up" = the three beeps I mentioned earlier before it stopped POSTing at all.

Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
"Acting up" = the three beeps I mentioned earlier before it stopped POSTing at all.

Thanks.

Then its probably a failed motherboard. If its reporting a ram error, the error could be slot or controller based. You can try a different slot, but its probably a bad board. Seeing as its an older board, did you check the caps on it? Maybe one is going...

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004

I thought you needed cpu ram and a video card to post? try just those 3 things installed and see what you get.

also along with what mobo you have please tell us why it is you stripped the pc down to the mobo and cpu? If you were having problems before that caused you to do this tell us. This may tell us you had a different problem to start with and you don't need to go this far in troubleshooting.

Since most MB's dont' come with on board video any more I had presumed there was a video card in there. The Asus P5B series hates many brands of memory. If it doesn't like it, it will tell you nothing. You have to take the offending ram out *before* it will tell you whats wrong. Otherwise it just sits there, no beeps, nothing.

I had that issue and when I swapepd in memory from a gaming machine it worked fine. The offending Ram sticks went into a machine with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB without even the slightest problem.