Megatonone

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
I can’t get my printer to work on my client box.

I have 2 puters networked using 4 port linksys router.
Host is win2k and Client is win98.
Printer is hp712c and is installed on host and is operational.
On the host and client I have:
(1) enabled print & file sharing
(2) primary network logon is “client for Microsoft
(3) I have tcp/ip &netbeui bound to ms networks
(4) under hp712c printer properties I have “share” enabled

on the client I have:
(1) setup a network printer using the wizard
(2) path to host & printer was selected using “browse”
\\hostname\printername
(3) printer drivers were manually installed
(4) 712c printer software has been installed

When I double click on the client's “network neighborhood” I can see both host and client. Under the host icon I can see the printer icon but on the client I don’t see a printer icon. Both host & client can access wan.

The printer is on-line and the both the host and client are powered up simultaneously.

However, when I try to print on the client I get a print error that communications with the printer was lost. sounds like the Win98 machine is not making a connection to the printer
Do i need to share my host C: drive?

What is it that I’m doing wrong? i'm lost here. Any help is greatly appreciated
p.s. ok...i went into host(w2k-ntfs)) and shared my C: drive and a few folders/docs. but when i go into network neighborhood on the client (w98-fat32) when i click on the client icon i don't see any of the shared resources. when i click on the host icon all i see is the printer. any ideas on why i can't see these resources? perhaps it's the reason i can't print on the client.
thanks

Megaton<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Megatonone on 04/18/01 05:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure if I clearly understood your problem. When I install a printer that will be shared, I pay attention to these steps :

- I install the latest drivers on the "server" computer (including all the versions that will be necessary for the "clients" computers, Windows 95/98/ME, NT etc...)
- I share the printer trought the Explorer
- On the clients side, I browse throught the Network Neighborhood, "Right-click" the printer and select "Install"

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

Megatonone

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
thanks for the help....i'll give your process a shot...not sure i understand when you state that you "share the printer through the explorer"??? can you clarify?
thanks,

Megaton