What do you do in your spare time at work?

What do you do in your spare time at work. I end up spending alot of it reading Tom's articles and checking out the forums (like I am right now), somtimes I will mess around with my PC at home remotely, or mess around overclocking a PC at work.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
i wouldn't call it spare time but alot of what i do involves uploading software/firmware so i get some time to surf the net a bit... usually Tom's so learn as much as possible and to help as much as possible...

Kewlx25

Distinguished
In constant search of the end of the internet. I try to stay away from youtube as I lose track of time too easily watching videos.

I usually browse tech feeds like ./, ars, etc. Helps me clear my mind and I tend to work better.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
In my spare time (which is any time not being spent on projects at work) I work on updating company standards or working on items that will make future work faster and easier.

I'm not one of the people in the office that you will find surfing the internet all day. Even when there isn't work to do, you can always find something productive to do.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Hey now, trying to make us sound like we don't contribute.. :p

One of my recent projects involved me taking another teams project. They had 5 people working on it for ~8 months. My group finally took it over once it became "mostly" stable and one of us got assigned to fixing bugs and adding features. That person spend about 1.5 months of constant work trying to fix/add to the code.

Finally, I convinced them to let me take over and I started over from scratch. Boss wasn't too happy at first as it took a lot of man hours to get it where it was but he humored me because it was a slow time. I re-wrote it in 1 month, which involved multi-threading it, and correctly designed it, which fixed several outstanding bugs they they weren't able to fix. In the end, the program was easier to debug, I was able to add/tweak features with only 1-2 hour turn arounds vs their 1-3 week turn arounds and it literally ran ~600 times faster in our common case while using 1/8 the memory. It scaled better than the original, so 600 times faster in the common case easily turned into 1200 times faster for larger work loads. Actually, my program scaled linearly while the original mushroomed so relative to the original, my program became dramatically faster the larger the database.

Our server admin was elated that running this app on 3-4 customer's at the same time didn't bring a server to its knees anymore, and the tech were happy what use to run in minutes now ran seconds, or usually under a second. It was funny how he kept asking me when I was going to be done after I showed my team my first prototype about 2 weeks in.

Both their version and my version of the program used .Net. Although, I preferred to use C# over VB, but the languages should run the same speed.

That "1 month" of work, mostly involved me starting blankly at my screen or browsing the web to blank my mind; but every so often, I would get an idea that would pop into my head and I would go to town pumping out code. After that initial month, I had a few minor request changes and few of my own bugs to fix, but it was stable after 2 months. It has been running on hundreds of databases for the past 8 months without any more changes to code.

Admittedly, I did have the benefit of having a "working prototype" to see work and understand what was expected as the original version did have a lot of feature creep.

I did another similar thing to another project, but that project wasn't really speed limited, but it did get the benefit of a better design and faster turn arounds after it was re-written and several long standing bugs were fixed. It wasn't hard to get the "OK" to re-do the other project from scratch after that big success.

So, don't associate my browsing as laziness, it's how I work. :p

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Time to get a new job buddy.

I think for a few of us this applies:

compiling.png

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Lol, I didn't mean any disrespect with my post just more jealousy I guess :).

Stumbleupon is a good site and I might use it if it wasn't blocked at my workplace.

I have very very little spare time with my occupation, but if I see the opportunity, it is always seized by bettering my communication/mgt skills that pertain to my industry. Im pretty much all about work when im there.

rennijohn

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I learn German in my spare time of work. Actually I like to learn new languages. So I want to use spare time in a proper way.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
News articles; Ars Technica, Economist, Long Beach Post, /., Mother Jones, NYT, Salon, Bloomberg, Think Progress
Forums; Ars, Tom's, Snopes, Burning Man, Coachella, djforums.
Little bit of facebook.
IRC - Bunch of different Linux rooms
Watch a movie on Netflix off my iPhone... :)

It does help that being in IT greatly increases your chances of being able to view possibly blocked material. It also helps that one of the many hats I wear is managing internet access, which in this case is directly determinate by our Executive staff, who came right out and said to NOT block anything off the internet (minus that the of the standard blocks for security purposes).