Carrying Ipaq on belt - safe?

February 26, 2005 7:31:10 PM

Hi,

I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large to
fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
model from HP:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...

My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right to
worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a pocket?

Si.
February 26, 2005 7:31:11 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:31:10 -0000, "Si"
<si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> came right out and said:

>Hi,
>
>I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large to
>fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
>model from HP:
>
>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...
>
>My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right to
>worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a pocket?
>
>Si.

I carry my 4150 on my belt. I use a different case. Regardless, the
case has pockets in the cover for credit cards and such. I put in
there a shatterproof plastic mirror, just in case (pun intended).

--
There are only two valid activities in this world:
personally attending to the injured and hungry,

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:31:10 -0000, Si wrote:

8< snip >8
> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right to
> worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a pocket?

I've got one just like it for my iPAQ h2210. A couple days ago I
bumped into a door and the case was hit, but no damage to the screen
at all. I think I can say the case offers some protection. I also
don't think HP would sell these things if they would damage your
screen.

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120

"s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:31:10 -0000, Si wrote:
>
> 8< snip >8
>> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right
>> worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a
>> pocket?
>
> I've got one just like it for my iPAQ h2210. A couple days ago I
> bumped into a door and the case was hit, but no damage to the screen
> at all. I think I can say the case offers some protection. I also
> don't think HP would sell these things if they would damage your
> screen.

Is it a snug fit for your h2210? The reason I ask is that they claim it will
fit the h2210 and the hx2110 (and others). I have the hx2110 and AFAIK it is
4mm longer than the h2210. I wouldn't want it to be too tight....just right.

Si.
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 26, 2005 8:45:04 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:26:32 -0000, Si wrote:

> Is it a snug fit for your h2210? The reason I ask is that they claim it will
> fit the h2210 and the hx2110 (and others). I have the hx2110 and AFAIK it is
> 4mm longer than the h2210. I wouldn't want it to be too tight....just right.

It's not too tight for my h2210 (I can take the PDA easily out of the
case.), but the material on the right and left side is elastic, so I
guess 4mm won't make that much of a difference.

I just checked and it's the same case indeed:

<http://h30143.www3.hp.com/configure2.cfm?sid=18466&jump...;
Leather Belt Case FA160A

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120
February 26, 2005 9:44:36 PM

"Bruno" <spamthis@server.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:31:10 -0000, "Si"
> <si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> came right out and said:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large
>>fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
>>model from HP:
>>
>>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...
>>
>>My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right
>>worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a
>>pocket?
>>
>>Si.
>>
> I carry my 4150 on my belt. I use a different case. Regardless, the
> case has pockets in the cover for credit cards and such. I put in
> there a shatterproof plastic mirror, just in case (pun intended).
>
> --

Hi Bruno - which case do you use?

Si.
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 26, 2005 9:44:37 PM

In article <cvqg1b$n6o$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, Si
<si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> wrote:

> "Bruno" <spamthis@server.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:31:10 -0000, "Si"
> > <si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> came right out and said:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large
> >>fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
> >>model from HP:

> >>061285-1061285-5080483.html
> >>
> >>My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right
> >>worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a
> >>pocket?
> >>
> >>Si.
> >>
> > I carry my 4150 on my belt. I use a different case. Regardless, the
> > case has pockets in the cover for credit cards and such. I put in
> > there a shatterproof plastic mirror, just in case (pun intended).
> >
> > --

Leather case affords some protection but not complete. I had a 1945
crack on me because it bumped up against the seatbelt fastener in the
car while I was driving. This was a vaja leather case with ultra
swivel clip. I own a 2215 now and switched to the hard case that rhino
makes. That also comes with a swivel clip and I haven't had any
problems since. Unless you flat out drop it hardcases afford the
maximum protection.

--
"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard no horse sing a song."

- Louis Armstrong
February 26, 2005 9:44:37 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:44:36 -0000, "Si"
<si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> came right out and said:

>Hi Bruno - which case do you use?

I use something similar to this:
http://www.compusmart.com/Product/Default.aspx?Supplier...

I think mine is a Belkin, but I'm not sure. It has a belt clip. I
inserted the plastic mirror from an old Tungsten T Sena case I had.

--
There are only two valid activities in this world:
personally attending to the injured and hungry,
and picking fights in newsgroups.
- Lore Sjöberg
February 26, 2005 9:45:06 PM

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:26:32 -0000, Si wrote:
>
>> Is it a snug fit for your h2210? The reason I ask is that they claim it
>> will
>> fit the h2210 and the hx2110 (and others). I have the hx2110 and AFAIK it
>> is
>> 4mm longer than the h2210. I wouldn't want it to be too tight....just
>> right.
>
> It's not too tight for my h2210 (I can take the PDA easily out of the
> case.), but the material on the right and left side is elastic, so I
> guess 4mm won't make that much of a difference.
>
> I just checked and it's the same case indeed:

How long have you been using it - does the elastic show any wear and tear?

Si.
February 26, 2005 10:20:24 PM

Si wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large to
> fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
> model from HP:
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...
>
> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right to
> worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a pocket?
>
> Si.

Si,

Well, last summer, I put my Sprint cellphone in the left front pocket of my
blue jeans, and while moving furniture, I cracked the glass screen. But, I'll
have to admit, it was a pretty good whack.

Scott
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 26, 2005 11:55:50 PM

I bought a Rhinoskin case for my ipag 3715. I love it. I think it offers
the most protection because it is made of aluminum. It fits perfect. It
comes with a belt clip also. Here's a link to their site:
http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoskin/prod.cfm?cat_id=9...

"Si" <si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large
> to fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably
> this model from HP:
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...
>
> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right
> to worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a
> pocket?
>
> Si.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 27, 2005 12:50:37 AM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:45:06 -0000, Si wrote:

> How long have you been using it - does the elastic show any wear and tear?

I've only been using it for two or three months now. No wear and tear
yet, but I can see where you're going and I guess it's only a matter
of time before the elastic is worn out. I can only hope this is going
to take a _long_ time. ;-)

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | D-Link DBT-120
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 27, 2005 5:31:54 AM

I use an hp 4150... used to have a 4155. Carried the 4155 on a leather belt
case from an electronics store. I was playing a brief moment of basketball
with my students when my adhd kid took me down. The screen and touchpad cracks
and damage were painfully beautiful. It now makes a great mp3 player for
my newborn's crib. Ebay'd the 4150 for $350, then I drew a pattern from the
old one onto leather 3-times as thick and coustom-built my next case. I added
a few improvements as well. Still cary my pda on my belt, but don't play
b-ball till I take it off; expensive lesson.
nate
In message <cvq87e$k31$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Si"
<si@dontbotherspamming.thisaddress> wrote:
Hi,

I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large to
fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
model from HP:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...

My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right
worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a pocket?

Si.

-- Don't cry... it's almost over.
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
iPAQ 4150 w/2.512g on SD
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 27, 2005 5:50:15 AM

> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I
> right to worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick
> it in a pocket?
>
> Si.

I have this very case. I NEVER go ANYWHERE without my iPaq. I wear it on my
left hip, and always face the screen inward, so that when I take it out of
the case, the screen is up. I have been using this case for a year now, and
have not so much as chipped the paint off the side of the ipaq. this is a
far better case than the one I had for my old cassiopeia e-100 (about a
million years ago, it seems). I highly recommend this case. I am a rent-a-
cop in a factory and wear this to work everyday with no problems.

--
UVB
Ulric Van Bergen

"Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <ulric_van_bergen@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I
>> right to worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick
>> it in a pocket?
>>
>> Si.
>>

> I have this very case. I NEVER go ANYWHERE without my iPaq. I wear it on
> my
> left hip, and always face the screen inward, so that when I take it out of
> the case, the screen is up. I have been using this case for a year now,
> and
> have not so much as chipped the paint off the side of the ipaq. this is a
> far better case than the one I had for my old cassiopeia e-100 (about a
> million years ago, it seems). I highly recommend this case. I am a rent-a-
> cop in a factory and wear this to work everyday with no problems.
>
> --
> UVB
> Ulric Van Bergen
> ulric_van_bergen@hotmail.com
> (remove the underscores if you wish to email me)

Ulric - thank you for the post - you have the very same case - the FA160A
from HP with the elasticated sides?

Does the elastic show any wear?

Thank you.

Simon
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 27, 2005 12:13:53 PM

I've got the Belkin lambskin case - a bit pricey, buy quite nice and
seems to do a good job.

Si wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large to
> fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
> model from HP:
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...
>
> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right to
> worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a pocket?
>
> Si.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 27, 2005 12:15:40 PM

and FYI - Carrying the Ipaq on your belt is ENTIRELY safe. Its when it
drops from the belt and hits the cement that's the problem. :)

David H

Si wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm keen to carry my Ipaq with me wherever I go, but it's a little large to
> fit in some trouser pockets. The next best is a belt case - probably this
> model from HP:
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-105923...
>
> My only concern would be keeping the screen safe from damage - am I right to
> worry - anyone else carry theirs this way - or do you stick it in a pocket?
>
> Si.

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 27, 2005 3:49:37 PM

Reply to message from "David C. Holley" <DavidCHolley@netscape.net> (Sun,
27 Feb 2005 09:15:40) about ""Re: Carrying Ipaq on belt - safe?"":

> and FYI - Carrying the Ipaq on your belt is ENTIRELY safe. Its when it
> drops from the belt and hits the cement that's the problem. :)

Unless you forget and try to squeeze through heavy closing doors... no
floor required. ;)
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 27, 2005 6:13:47 PM

> Ulric - thank you for the post - you have the very same case - the
> FA160A from HP with the elasticated sides?
>
> Does the elastic show any wear?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Simon

The very same case. The elastic is showing a little wear, but that is just
because I put the device in and out of the case dozens of times a day.

--
!