casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I was wondering if I can put my 40gig IDE hard drive, or perhaps an old 5 gig, and run virtual memory on that, and not on the windows hard drive.

I only have 1 gig of RAM and BF2 needs 2 gigs, not to mention all the other programs I like to run.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
You can... but it's actually an inverse situation. The only reason for trying to do what you want to do is to save a few ms in seek time.

If you had a lot of memory and also had a lot of processes (as in a file server) it could be worthwhile. In a home system, you would never save anything regarding the things that you mentioned. Windows uses a really generic approach to devices and will set up additional disk caching, deblocking, and other tables for keeping track of metrics (consuming even more of your valuable memory and cpu time) for the additional device.

If YOU had control of exactly how virtual memory was managed from beginning to end (I was actually in that postiion many years ago) then you are right, you would probably be able to optimize virtual memory management a little by using a separate disk. Go for the additional memory or faster processor and donate the 5 and 40 for a tax write-off.

Regards,
Joe