Sign in with
Your question

boot crash boot crash.....mobo, cpu or what....help.

Last response: in Systems
November 22, 2006 5:08:09 AM

- Thermaltake Armor Case
- Thermaltake ToughPower 750W ATX PSU + PFC/EPS
- Intel Core2Duo Extreme X6800 2.93Ghz 4M 1066FSB
- Intel D975XBXLKR Socket 775 Motherboard
- (2) Seagate 320GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
- (2) Seagate 250GB Serial ATA w/NCQ 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
- ATI Radeon X1950XTX 512MB GDDR4 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video
- Corsair TWINX 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz (2x1024)
- Plextor PX-716AL Slot-Loading 16x DVD Burner
- Lite-on Black 52xCDRW/16x DVD Combo Drive
- SAMSUNG 244t-BK Black 24" 6ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

Above is my list of goodies, I finally got XP installed and moving on. Now the computer boots and crashes, boots and crashes, all in different spots. Sometimes before post, then I cannot access the bios, sometimes after I exit bios, before XP loads, sometimes after XP loads....When I can get in the bios I read the cpu temp to be 63-64C. This seems high. Checked all connections and such. When and if I get loaded into XP things run fine. But if I have to shutdown and reboot, the CPU fans start slow but then crank up real fast. The HD, DVD, CD drives will come on but then they go off and the computer just sits and runs.

Sorry for the rambling, just trying to remember everything that has happened.

If I leave the comp set for a while, it boots farther along than if I try to reboot or reset alot of times in a row.
November 22, 2006 5:59:27 AM

I think you're starving your pc with power. That much powerful components requires lots of power. Sure you can calculate all the wattage but during start up there's a big suction of power from the psu as all the components are getting juiced and booting up at the same time and not to mention full gaming when the cpu and two X1950XTX are used at full load.

Okay remove both graphics cards and the none OS hard drives, and then boot up the pc. If it does so with no problem then that means the power supply is not giving enough juice for your setup.

The biggest power drainage on your system during boot up is that massive graphics cards and 4 hard drives. You might wanna consider getting 1000watts PSU for that system to run and if you want some overclocking.
November 22, 2006 7:06:39 AM

Probably not enough power

The easy sollution is to pull the cables on two of your disks and try to boot. This will ease the load as only two disks will spin up at power on.
Disks dont use too much power but this is easier than pulling a video card.

The best solution would be to pull one of the x1950's as these use a couple of hundred watts each.

When you boot you have the disks and all of your fans drawing more power than normal as they try to spin up.

So what may run on 750watts may draw a peak of 800+ or so when things are spinning up.

Personally I would have gone for a Kilowatt PSU with all those fans GPU's and disks.

Let us know how you go.

More power to you :) 
Related resources
November 22, 2006 11:06:09 AM

No dice. Pulled power from two of the HD's a couple of fans and nothing. Right now I am only running on x1950. Would not even boot to the intel splash screen.
November 22, 2006 11:48:54 AM

We kow know you have enough power, probably.

Next try one memory stick only. Then the other.

Now swap the video card for the other. One of them could be causing trouble

Same result for both means its probably not the video cards.

This is all painful but you need to eliminate as much as possible

Reseat everything. Cards, power connectors, memory, cpu.

Did you install the cpu cooler correctly? Thermal paste?

I am running out of ideas.
November 22, 2006 12:25:08 PM

Not enough power? The OP has enough power by far to run that setup. You might want to run memtest on your memory. Also, you can try booting with one stick of memory. The hard drive will not be drawing anymore than 100W among all 4. That said, he still has 650W to run the Mobo, CPU, Video Cards, and other various componets. Benchmarked power consumption from the wall for a crossfire system with those two cards and the same cpu the OP has shows system draw from the wall at 346W. If the PSU they were using is 80% efficient, then the system would actually be using around 275W. Not even half of the output of the OP's psu. So, assuming all 4 drives are spinning on boot, along with both optical drives, AT THE MOST, you could add 200W to that number. So, on boot, he might be using somewhere between 400-475W. He has plenty of headroom, that PSU should not be breaking a sweat. So, I would recommend unplugging everything you don't need. Start the pc with the bare minimum. No sound, only video, mouse, and keyboard. Try swapping the memory around, and maybe try using a little more voltage with your memory. Let us know how it goes.

wes

Edit: and it seems that your cpu is running a little higher than it should, but it should just throttle, not crash I assume.
November 22, 2006 2:31:58 PM

I agree, not power. I'm running an X2 4800 and two 7800GTX's, all three are power hogs and all three are OC'd. Also running a water cooling unit. All of that off a 750w psu.

I'm with either the cpu over heating or the ram. Just in case, undo ALL the connections, only reconnect what you need to boot: video card, 1 stick of ram, hdd with OS, keyboard & mouse. Check the temps in bios or with software (won't be accurate but give you a good idea).
November 22, 2006 2:37:32 PM

Quote:
If I leave the comp set for a while, it boots farther along than if I try to reboot or reset alot of times in a row.

If the temp reading in the bio is correct, I’d say the problem properly is CUP overheating. Besides, the system is able to run longer after shut down for a while is another sign of heat related issue. I would recommend either try to reinstall the heat sink and fan with some good thermal compound or try to buy a good HSF.
November 22, 2006 3:35:02 PM

Almost always is bad ram, low ram voltage, or ram timings too tight. Up the voltage slightly, loosen the ram timings, run only one stick at a time to test. Try Memtest86. Could be an improperly installed heatsink, but I doubt it.
November 22, 2006 5:12:40 PM

So the ram may be the reason why the computer POSTS sometimes and sometimes doesn't? I tried the comp this morning as to give the CPU plenty of time to cool down, got into the bios and the CPU temp was 54C on startup. Where shou;d the temp of this CPU be 6800?

After exiting the bios windows loaded then the comp crashed at the desktop screen. After that I would reset but never get the splash screen or POST.

If the mobo or CPU were the problem it would not work at all, right?
November 22, 2006 8:37:45 PM

This is the memory that I have now.

Corsair
!