Differences between Win CE and Win Mobile

February 26, 2005 9:55:45 PM

Is there a difference between Windows CE and Windows Mobile?

My IPAQ 3630 says it uses Windows Mobile CE version 3, while some s/w I want
to buy states it runs on WIndows Mobile 2nd ed.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:55:46 PM

Damien wrote:

> Is there a difference between Windows CE and Windows Mobile?
>
> My IPAQ 3630 says it uses Windows Mobile CE version 3, while some s/w I want
> to buy states it runs on WIndows Mobile 2nd ed.

Yes there is a lot of difference. Pocket PC is built on a basic Windows
CE base. There is no Windows Mobile CE. Windows CE 3 was used as a base
for Pocket PC 2000 and 2002 but Pocket PC 2003 AKA Windows Mobile is
based on Windows CE 4.2. Now Windows Mobile SE (Second Edition) is the
latest version for he Pocket PC and it is also based on Windows CE 4.2.

Windows CE is now up to 6. Windows CE is the base OS but it ships with a
different list of applications. Pocket PC apps may or may not run on
Windows CE devices and vice versa although WinCE devices are more likely
to work on a Pocket PC.

Generally handhelds run windows CE and generally do not ship with a
standard set of PIM applications. Nor do the have the pocket version of
Word and Excel. They do have readers for word and xcel but the editor is
different. They do use ActiveSync and they do have Windows PIE and
Windows media player.

Generally something that runs on Windows Mobile SE will also work on
older versions as well, at least the earlier version of Windows Mobile
and Pocket PC 2002 unless they specifically state that it requires
Windows Mobile SE features.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

Windows Mobile includes Pocket PCs, Smartphones, and Portable Media Centers.
Pocket PCs, Smartphones, and Portable Media Centers run on Windows CE
operating system.
There are some other devices out there running Windows CE operating system.

For more information, please take a look at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/

--
Email: developer@jointsense.com.hk
Homepage: http://www.jointsense.com.hk/