id Releases Rage Mod Toolkit on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

joafu

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
"The main release is not something that we consider consumer friendly"

Too little, too late. I'm not so much bitter as I am bored with Rage news.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I bought rage, and like many disappointed. Good mechanics, poor execution.
But i do believe modders could fix almost everything wrong with the game if they so choose to use these tools. Modders when they get to work on something, do outstanding things and turn games into completely new ones.

It might take a year, two, maybe 3, but I believe people who have faith in Rage's modding, will make it into a game we're happy to reinstall.

In the mean time, I do hope they do better with Doom 4, Doom 3 was quite good (except for the flashlight annoyance. I just wish the flashlight mod I use still worked in Doom 3, for some reason, it stopped.) and I'm looking forward to the 4th installment.

Though I'd much much much prefer to see Quake V based off the original games assets. I'd definitely pre-order that game^^

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

44c49d322cebd22828041c62f9d908b1.jpg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
doom3 had a coop mod for it allowing 4 players for old times sake, was quite fun. Even went to the extreme of having 4 of us simultaneously using a cheapish mixer to combine everyone's sound. Was full on lol, had plenty of wax in my ears the next couple of days though with all that noise.

Wish games would return to once upon a time, its kind of sad really. Thank greedy people in this world.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Rage was a fun game, but worth modding, worth playing over with mods and all that stuff? No.[/citation]

really it depends on the mod...[citation][nom]bluestar2k11[/nom]I bought rage, and like many disappointed. Good mechanics, poor execution.But i do believe modders could fix almost everything wrong with the game if they so choose to use these tools. Modders when they get to work on something, do outstanding things and turn games into completely new ones.It might take a year, two, maybe 3, but I believe people who have faith in Rage's modding, will make it into a game we're happy to reinstall.In the mean time, I do hope they do better with Doom 4, Doom 3 was quite good (except for the flashlight annoyance. I just wish the flashlight mod I use still worked in Doom 3, for some reason, it stopped.) and I'm looking forward to the 4th installment. Though I'd much much much prefer to see Quake V based off the original games assets. I'd definitely pre-order that game^^[/citation]
I just want to point this out for everybody that the reason that doom three had a flashlight was because when they first initially made the engine for doom three computers can handle the muzzle flash and flashlight at the same time, but due to delays in the game and advancements in hardware by the time it came out computers can easily handle that.

The reason they didn't implemented into the game is because the whole thing was built around having a flashlight but no gun if you my "a flashlight on the gun it takes most if not all the suspense out of the game.

[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Doom 3 was a fine enough game that happened to come out in a year where it was eclipsed by amazing games - Half Life 2, Halo 2, and Far Cry were all generally considered superior.It was a much better game with two simple mods: one to duct tape your flashlight to your gun, and another to replace the horrid default sound effects on the guns.I hope Doom 4 is a great game.[/citation]

Having played doom one and two recently, I can say that overall doom three really sucks in comparison level design wise and story wise. If doom three was just an upgraded graphically doom one or two it would've easily been one of the best games that year. Because realistically there are two kinds of shooters, there is a shooters where you're dealing with bad guys in a realistic situation and there is shooters where you have to know where your enemies are in relation to you.

It's kind of like call of duty versus serious Sam, to me I much prefer serious Sam style games and I really can't get into the whole realistic angle unless it's competitive multiplayer, for single player has to be serious Sam style.

--------------------------------

On a semi-unrelated note yet related, brutal doom version 18 comes out today. If you haven't looked at brutal doom ever go to http://www.youtube.com/user/SGtMarkIV/videos?view=0
and look at some of his trailers, I so can't wait to play it.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
id is "polishing a turd" is a totally wrong logical here... It is more like id made a turd. Now they finally made a tool to "let YOU" polish it!!

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
id could claim to be "PC first" and mean it. Yet, RAGE's release was a step back for the company and enraged PC gamers.
I personally cannot fault id for this one in a way. When you run a company a certain way, then you get bought out, you are then following orders and your voice isn't as loud as it used to be. Given the fact that Zenimax like many other gaming companies vastly favor the market share and sales consoles offer over the PC, I wasn't surprised about the focus shift here. id was more than likely redirected in this manner.

Still, like others, hoping Doom 4 ends up being excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.