Can I use an 8800GTX and a 7950GX2 simultaneously?

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
I was astonished that my girlfriend somehow figured out to buy me a GeForce 8800GTX for the holidays... This girl is a keeper! Right now I have a 7950 GX2. Obviously SLI is out of the question, but will these two work in a dual monitor configuration?

If the consensus is yes, then I'm hooking the GX2 up to my plasma screen. If the consensus is no, feel free to PM me if you're interested in buying the GX2 off me. I'll hook you up :)

chilli

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
if only you were in the UK, id be willing to buy :p

edit: or actually, can I have the gf? :D Ill trade you for mine...

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
between those 2 cards, not sure... simply because of the drivers in use... nvidia offers nforce drivers meant for only the G80, and then nforce drivers meant for all previous generation cards (there had to be a reason for seperating them, aside from the download size, though, that may be the only reason they seperated them)

so, physically theyll fit, but your issue is going to reside primarily with driver compatabilities, if the drivers will, 'play nice' together when both cards are installed simultaneously... theoretically there shouldnt be a problem, especially since theyre both from the same company, and im sure they wouldnt want a conflict like that... but, again, it would come down to driver compatability in the end... ...maybe nvidia will compile some downloadable drivers that will work with all of the cards, without question even... but, for now, i cant say for sure.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
It won't period. So you can give me that 7950 for Christmas. Santa Clause that Fat-Arse didn't give me sh!t last Christmas.

Oh and you're girlfriend, does she have a sister?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Yes they should work fine as long as your power supply is good enough.

What are the chances of that? You would need over 50A.

Normally, id say its possible, but they will both be using two different DirectX software.

arima

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Chances are, that right now, they won't work together. You're going to have a lot of conflicts. Just use the G80 for now 8)
and woahh.. i'm envious. :roll: That's any gamer's dream girlfriend!

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It's not going to work at all. As stated above the drives are totally different. Normal Nvidia driver wont even recognizes the card. Besides you would need a 800w PSU. Just run both off of the 8800 if will do it with no problem.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
It's not going to work at all. As stated above the drives are totally different. Normal Nvidia driver wont even recognizes the card. Besides you would need a 800w PSU. Just run both off of the 8800 if will do it with no problem.
That's a good point; I completely forgot that the Geforce 8 Series uses it's own version of the Forceware drivers, and installing them both at the same time likely won't work well.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
I don't think my PSU would be a problem; it's a thermaltake toughpower 750W supply.

So I assume the new Forceware drivers are not backwards compatible with DirectX 9 based cards? Shame.

Also, does anyone have an Antec 900 case (that's what I have)? Someone said in another thread that the 8800 might not fit inside. Can anyone chime in on that?