Dear Tom's (users & moderators)

Should there be an alternative Private Message Notification?

• No, it works just fine how it is

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Yes, next to the username's profile link.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Yes, within the user's profile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, other (please post your ideas)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Trying to see if there may me a better way to get Private Message Notifications, as far as i see it, this may be the only flaw to possibly one of the best websites out there. Perhaps having a PM notification near where it says "(username's) profile" as there are many users here (at least the regulars) who often look in that general direction.

Take a vote.

randomizer

Champion

The problem with PM notification is it only occurs when you receive replies to PMs. The initial PM will not generate an email.

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
The first PM should be an email notification as well as all of other replies (that already happens, just saying to keep that).

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I wold find that if there was a little link that said "PM (1)" or "Private Message (1)" as soon as you log in, somewhere near the user's profile / Log Out area is a little user-friendly.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Just click the "show right column" link, and use that- it lists your messages as well as threads you have posted in that have new replies and your profile. Its all there already if you just open it:)

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

I agree, but this option is not available from the home page when you first log in, and on top of that, it may not dawn on new users to look at it from that perspective until they get used to the website.

I am not posting this because i don't know how to find my PM's or threads, I've been an avid member for over a year now and if i didn't know how to navigate the site, i should not be giving advice.

I am referring to newcomers who don't know Tom's website all that well and once they post something, ill PM them sometimes and they don't reply. My guess is they don't reply because they have no idea, so, like i said, might be a little user-friendly to have that PM notification option right on the home page (as well as other pages).

Afterall, we ARE here to help newcomers and keep them coming back....

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I understand that Jonpaul- just thought it was pretty clear, but I guess I may have been one to figure that stuff out pretty quick. It would definitely not hurt to add it to the profile or somewhere easier to see.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

I picked up on it rather quick myself, i'm just trying to keep an inexperienced user in mind. They may not pick up on it at all...

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I don't like the right column because it is just another ad to look at. I see the PMs because I scroll to down to see other categories to post in. A little notification at the top of the screen under the mobile, twitter, and facebook right next to "so-and-sos profile" as well as an email notification would be ideal.

randomizer

Champion
I LOVE the right column (minus everything except the widget thing). For someone like me who replies to many threads and receives several PMs regularly, it's invaluable to have everything accessible from one location, and without needing to bet my money on email notifications that aren't always working. Not to mention my inbox no longer gets flooded.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
That is what i am thinking, keep the right column as i like it as well and many are used to it... Then, just add a link at the top of the screen under the mobile, twitter, and facebook right next to "so-and-so's profile"

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
What would be good is as you scroll down the thread the right column would follow you down so you don't have to scroll all the way up to select another thread or reply to a message.

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010

I really don't how much work it would require, but I don't think it is too hard. I have seen it done on other websites (like an ad or survey that follows you down). As I have some knowledge of Adobe Dreamweaver, I think it is just some Ajax/Javascript code (or an add-on that can be downloaded) that drops right into the editable regions (this website is so large it should be based on editable regions right?) on the right column.