Sign in with
Your question

GFX upgrade, AGP

Last response: in Components
November 22, 2006 10:20:14 AM

Yo forumz.

Im currently sitting here with a Sapphire 9600pro 256mb, wich runs HL2 etc. just fine with medium settings.
But as any true performance lover its not enough! High settings ftw.

Anyhow, i have currently not enough monies to take the path to PCI-e. So il stick to AGP.

Secondly, my messed up motherboard doesnt like ATI (google Abit VT7 + Radeon for answers why).

So, what Nvidia gfx should i buy? I have been eying the 7600gs and the 6800xt, wich seems somewhat similiar in performance and price.

So tell me, what would you choose?

*edit*

I forgot the other system specs :( 

Intel p4 s478 3.2ghz 1mb cache
Abit VT7 motherboard
2x512mb DDR400 PC3200 TwinMos memory
X-FI Xtrememusic Soundcard
3x200gb Samsung hdd's (IDE, ATA133)
1x80gb Samsung hdd (IDE, ATA133)
Sunlab controllercard IDE
Emm, random DVD-burner

Also worth mentioning is that i am planning to upgrade the whole computer (C2D etc etc), but money problems = Save this one as long as possible with some minor upgrade (GFX)

More about : gfx upgrade agp

November 22, 2006 11:32:32 AM

Just based on previous posts... I've seen a lot of negative things said about that 6800 XT... although not a spectacular card, that 7600 GS seems like a better idea to me... in addition to the new features of a 7 series GPU, the 7600 has 4 extra pixel pipes according to what I've read. Here's a review of it...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/347/
November 22, 2006 11:39:22 AM

Well, Ive got the same cpu as you and recentely upgraded to a Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3; but its not cheap (£260)- and, as far as I know, only availably in Europe- but it shifts :D  I really cant see another agp ever being released that comes close.

However, I wouldnt advise spending this much on a card if you plan to eventiually replace your whole rig. My only justification is that it will end up giving me 9 months of life, after which I'll convert it to a media pc. Then I build a new rig with C2D & a dx10 card.

I suggest reading this. It should contain anything else you need to know.. but you may be best off saving your cash until you can replace the whole thing.
Related resources
November 22, 2006 12:05:54 PM

Yea, right now i have 987USD, 519GBP, 770EUR or in my currency 7000SEK (Swedish).

I will save some for a new system in the future (1 year or so i guess).

So the 7800 just isnt an option atm.

Saw that 7600 had newer tech's than 6800 now, wich is quite logical since its newer.

I think il go with a 7600 then, any brand that you fancy? Passive would be nice (Never bad to go silent ey)
November 22, 2006 12:07:40 PM

Quote:
Well, Ive got the same cpu as you and recentely upgraded to a Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3; but its not cheap (£260)- and, as far as I know, only availably in Europe- but it shifts :D  I really cant see another agp ever being released that comes close.
Not only is the X1950Pro cheaper, it's also faster and supports OpenEXR HDR+AA, and non angle dependent anisotropic filtering.
http://www.opentip.com/products/ATI_Radeon_XPro_MB_Dual...
November 22, 2006 12:09:51 PM

When i read a bit further i see that some 6800 models have 16 pixel processors, and 256-bit bus width, whilst 7600 has 12 pixel processors and 128-bit bus width, doesnt this bring down the performance?
November 22, 2006 12:19:05 PM

That 6800 XT is a crippled 6800. Don't even think about comparing it to the GT/Ultra...

And to the person who suggested an ATI 1950... the original poster requested an NVidia based card due to a weird incompatibility with ATI cards.

So yes, a 7600 GS would serve you well... is it the best AGP card out there? Nope... but it'll be a step up from what you've got now and won't burn a huge hole in your wallet.
November 22, 2006 12:36:47 PM

Quote:
Not only is the X1950Pro cheaper, it's also faster and supports OpenEXR HDR+AA, and non angle dependent anisotropic filtering.
http://www.opentip.com/products/ATI_Radeon_XPro_MB_Dual...

Very true; except that the card you link is PCI-E, and, as far as I know, there is no release date or RRP yet for the AGP (dont be surprised if its more expeinsive than the PCI-E offering- theres loss offerings for them to compete against). By the time its released, the RX600 is on the horizon- and an AGP buying decision becomes even more difficult to justify.

Besides, he did say he wanted an nvidia solution (although, rereading my post, it did sound like I was referring to all cards :roll: )
November 22, 2006 12:37:24 PM

http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_i...

Seems rather efficient, and the price (226usd) is... somewhat high...

So a 7600gs it is, now to the details.

Brand? Any prefered?

Never really handled Nvidia cards before, so wouldnt know what brand to go for :( 

Edit: Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS Silent Pipe seems nice, but does it run too hot? (Not a problem though, if it does run hot il just set a 120mm fan below it.)
November 22, 2006 1:05:58 PM

Hi Cturfors,
Yeah that nVidia 7600GS is pretty well the top AGP choice right now.
There have been nice GeForce 6800 boards and also Radeon X1600Pro, but the 6800 is mostly disappeared (and there are different versions of the 6800, most with less than top-of-the-line performance).
I myself upgraded my SocketA rig from 9600XT to X1600Pro 512MB last year - the X1600 was newly released, and inexpensive...
Apart from the Radeon X1650 which is due to be released in AGP any time now, the 7600GS is best.
Since you desire nVidia the choice is simple!
I can get BFG GeForce 7600 GS OC (512MB) for reasonable price, or Asus N7600 GS (256MB) for ~$15 bucks less...
Anyway, make sure your powersupply can feed these vidcards okay. And forget the passive cooling - that's like the answer to a question no one has asked, y'know?
Sure they are quiet but, you can smell them when they hit ~100C, LoL...
Regards
November 22, 2006 1:11:19 PM

Well, Im no expert here- Ive only ever had cards from 3 brands: Sapphire (v good, no compaints), Point Of View (had one DOA, the replacement was fine) and Gainward (v good, no compaints).

Choose one of the more established brands, and take a look at the extras on offer (any games you may want, etc). If you can find a review of the specific brand, more the better- but Ive found the differences to be very slight. Only my opinion though.. you pay your money, you take your chance 8)
November 22, 2006 3:54:17 PM

Power supply should not be a problem, got a somewhat new Antec TruePower 2.0 480w PSU.

And yes, i would prefer a X1600/1650 or any other ATI AGP card, but that is not the question now.

The BAM $119 dollar card is not available in Sweden, never even seen the brand, so thats a no-no.

I think il go with a Gainward or XFX card.
November 22, 2006 4:06:28 PM

It's a fairly common brand... nothing to brag about, but probably nothing worth complaining about either... sucks you live in Sweden and can't get one at that price. Any 7600 GS should be pretty much the same card... some have 128 MB while others 256 MB.
!