Build-In Network card uses CPU resources?

Nostromo2

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
All use some weather built-in or other wise. Most built-in are controlled by the bridges.
What is bridge?
I just used to play online games while downloading from ISP ftp @ 400 KB/s or more so curious if this affects my fps alot, when i was wathing at cpu usage @ idle it was like 20% when downloading 400 KB/s

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you have an antivirus program that, your internet browser, firewall software, p2p software, and/or something else would be using the CPU time, not necessarily the network card itself.

QBiN

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
It really depends on the built-in ethernet chipset being used and the drivers.

Most built-in ethernet chipsets from 3Com, Marvell, Intel, or those integrated into nVidia nForce chipsets use minimal CPU power as the chipsets offload much of the IP and ethernet functions.

Like sturm mentioned, if you have a recent machine, even a lesser chipset will have negligible impact on your CPU.

More likely, like Folken mentioned, it's *other* software like Anti-Virus software and software firewalls that eat more CPU cycles (AV software) or slow down the network to process/inspect each IP packet (software firewalls) via the CPU. Even these types of software have only a small impact on newer 2GHz+ computers.