realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I got the Plextor 755sa SATA DVD burner and the DVD rip speed is excruciatingly slow. It consistently rips at 2x, even though it's a 16x drive. My old 8x Sony ripped MUCH faster than this drive. It takes 45 minutes to rip a DVD!!! Any idea why this thing is so slow and if there is anything I can do to speed it up? I have already upgraded the firmware. I have 100+ DVDs to rip (I run a film festival) so I have to get this speed up. I hate to back to the Sony now that I have an all-SATA machine.

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Check & see if you have any 3rd party IDE drivers installed, such as part of the nforce drivers package. For some reason using them messes with the SATA drives. I know it sounds wierd but that came straight from Plextor support when I had trouble with the drive. I was really skeptical but I tried it to humor them & damn if I wasn't shocked when it started working properly.

I'm also assuming that you are using discs that are rated for 16x or at least 8x since that was what you had. But it will all depend on the format you are using too, rw formats only do max 6x & 8x