buying a new amd 64 x2 processor

hello men, i'm brand new inthis forum so, i have a huge question, i'll gonna buy a amd processor but i don't which on to buy, i'm between the AMD 64 X2 4200 SOCKET AM2 OR THE AMD 64 X2 4600 SOCKET AM2, which one is the best...???
i'll buy it only for gaming and a few audio apps

thanks
my motherboard will be:
msi K9N platinum sli and the video card will be the nvidia zogis gforce 7950 512 MB
so.....
tell me please..
one more thing..
this new pc will be obsolte in the next year and a half?????????
thanks
bye
54 answers Last reply
More about buying processor
  1. Save your money and get a 3800, overclock it to 4600 speeds with a good mobo and decent ram. I did it but my mobo is utter shit so I slacked back to 4200 speeds.
  2. Quote:

so.....
    tell me please..
    one more thing..

It already is
  3. if this pc is obsolete....
    so what type of computer you recommend to me...........
    please tell me.............
  4. get a core 2 duo.................
    cheaper.............
    faster....................
    more efficient....................
    whats up with the...................?..............
  5. Quote:
    get a core 2 duo

What he said!

Because you don't already have a motherboard you're free to choose either Intel or AMD... if you're into overclocking, it's really hard to beat that C2D 6300/6400... and even if you're not, it's still a great chip.
  6. I'll even be nice and post a link...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005

170 reviews so far and it's averaging 5 stars... kinda hard to argue with that.
  7. The AMD X2 range is by no means obsolete! 80% of Intels products are however :oops:

Your AM2 system will be more than adequate for gaming and Vista.

As previously posted, get a 3800+ CPU, overclock it to 2.4Ghz spend the rest on a better video card and you've got a great system that will last you several years.
  8. No one is questioning the X2's adequacy... I have one and it works as expected. I am questioning its position as the best bang-for-the-buck.
  9. well, i'm a newbie in overclocking, so i dont know almost nothing about OC, so, i've that msi K9N sli platinum motherboard, but if i buy that 3800 how do i will OC it, and.. do i need another heat sink, can you teach me how to OC, and in the worst of the case.... if a buy that 4600.... can i OC this one and have a more powerfull processor than the 3800...........

and why say that a C2D is better than a AMD 64 x2????
    i with amd forever, actually i have a turion in my lap
    waiting for responses....
    thanks monkeymanuk
    but the only extreme video card that i found im my city is the 7950 nvidia gforce zogis
  10. Best bang-for-buck is a contentious issue!

If I was ready to buy a new setup then I would probably wait a little till AMD get their 65nm offerings out.

If I needed to buy something right now and had enough to spend on a 4600+ then I might settle for the E6400 and get more memory or a better GPU.
  11. Quote:

because it is.
  12. Simple, a C2D is faster than an AM2. But since you're only looking for a new cpu and not looking to rebuild the entire computer, I thing a 4600+ would be good. A 4800+ would be even better, if you can find one. A 4600 or 4800 should be able to hit nearly 3 ghz without too much trouble.

Overclocking and how far you can overclock depends on your mother board and its BIOS. Not familiar with yours.

Your computer is outdated, but so is mine. It should still be good for another year or more. After that, the transfer to Vista and games running DX10 will put both our computers into the dark ages.
  13. Quote:

because it is.

QFT
  14. Overclocking the Athlon is a little tricky becuase it does not use a front side bus.

Overclocking 3800+ socket 939 quick and easy I do the following.

Decrease memory speed to 333Mhz
    Increase clock speed to 240Mhz
    Decrease HT speed to 4x
    Make sure memory timing is 1T

here
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1497607&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

is a more in depth guide for maximum overclocking, I warn you though, once you start tweaking your system you will find it difficult to stop.
  15. if you are not die-hard AMD fanboy, buy Core2. It is faster, cheaper, cooler and more power efficient.
  16. actually i'm building a entire new machine and i have more or less 1400 dollars, to build my pc, and the tentative parts are:
    amd 64x2 4600 or 4200
    msi k9n sli platinum motherboard
    2 gigs of ram transcend 6800 or 6200 i dont remember
    gforce zogis 7950 512 Mb
    western digital serial ata2 300 gigs

but.....
    if all of you are saying that this good pc is now obsolete even though i haven't buyt it yet....
    what i would do.........

wait............ or buy...............
    is this pc so horrible or obsolete????????????
  17. Since you haven't bought anything yet, I'd either go to a C2D or wait a couple weeks or so for the new series of AMD cpu's to come out so that benchmark comparrisons can be made. If building new, there's really no point in spending a lot of money building a slower, old technology computer.

Figure out exactly what ram you're planning to use too, as type of ram can make a difference as to how well teh computer runs.
  18. Quote:
    The AMD X2 range is by no means obsolete! 80% of Intels products are however :oops:

As previously posted, get a 3800+ CPU, overclock it to 2.4Ghz spend the rest on a better video card and you've got a great system that will last you several years.

Please read the above as: "I am a FAN BOY"
  19. Quote:

Quote:

If I was ready to buy a new setup then I would probably wait a little till AMD get their 65nm offerings out.

Quote:

If I needed to buy something right now and had enough to spend on a 4600+ then I might settle for the E6400 and get more memory or a better GPU.

What a way to stick to your guns!!! Nobody can change your mind!!!
  20. I agree with Sailor. If you just have to have AMD then wait another couple of weeks for the new 65nm processors to come out. Then compare these with the C2D.

If you have to have a computer now, Core 2 Duo is the way to go. Since you are not into overclocking, getting DDR2 533 or 667 RAM is more than adequate and cheaper than DDR2 800 which you absolutely need for an AMD AM2 system.

My personal preference is the Crucial 10th Anniversary DDR2 667 2x1GB sticks.

As far as video card, spend 30 bucks more and get the 7900GTX at zipzoomfly after MIR. Or if you want a DX10 card in about 3-6 months, save your money and get the X1950Pro.

Btw, I don't remember reading what your budget is. Also, have you picked out a PSU, case, HDD, monitor, etc?
  21. fine, technically this cpu wil beat this C2D in bench's but those two cpu's are in two different class's! onw is over $400, the other is $180, nobody is going to compare those two when there specing out a pc.
  22. Here is a recommendation:

BIOSTAR TForce965PT Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 104$

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail 218$

Antec Performance One P150 Silver Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 430-Watt 160$

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) 200$ (RAM can probably find something better, cheapest 2gb I found with a name I know)

BFG Tech BFGR7950512GTOCE GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail 250$

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM 95$

LITE-ON White 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner - OEM 30$

Oc the cpu to 2.66(E6700 speed) and you are in business

~1000$, got room for a screan and shipping
  23. BOLA! What Purdue guy said above. My advice : Buy a Core 2 Duo. Don't wait for AMD's new proccessor because you don't know how much it's gonna cost or how it will perform compared to a Core 2 Duo. If you buy a Core 2 Duo, you will not be disappointed. It is one of the best proccessors on the market if not the best.
  24. At stock, the new 65nm AMD K8s will perform...
    *drumroll please*
    EXACTLY as well as 90nm AMD K8s.

The question that remains, of course, is how much do these 65nm AMDs overclock?
  25. Quote:
    hello men, i'm brand new inthis forum so, i have a huge question, i'll gonna buy a amd processor but i don't which on to buy, i'm between the AMD 64 X2 4200 SOCKET AM2 OR THE AMD 64 X2 4600 SOCKET AM2, which one is the best...???
    i'll buy it only for gaming and a few audio apps

thanks
    my motherboard will be:
    msi K9N platinum sli and the video card will be the nvidia zogis gforce 7950 512 MB
    so.....
    tell me please..
    one more thing..
    thanks
    bye

bola, clear your mind.. pretend no one has replied to this thread.. pretend I am the only one replying because if you do that.. you'll avert a big mistake.

Now, I know you've been hearing some arguments in this thread.. some people say flat out that Intel's Core 2 Duo is better while others sorta run around teh subject and spin their words to make it sound like their saying the Athlon64 X2 is better without flat out making such an incorrect and grossily irresponsible statement.

This is your money and you want to buy the best you can get for $1400 I believe? Am I right?

Ok... in that case...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    Asus/Gigabyte i965 based motherboard
    2x1GB Corsair/OCZ/G.Skill PC2 5400 DDRII RAM

These should be your core components. If you can swing it.. switch the E6400 for an E6600.. but only if that's affordable to you. This system will save your money on electricity and price and perform the same as a comparable AMD Athlon64 4600+ machine.

2GB of RAM is pretty much needed for gaming under Windows VISTA as well and the 3YR warranty from either Asus or Gigabyte on the motherboard can be handy incase of a manufacturer's defect (highly unlikely but possible).

Sense you're not overclocking I recommended some VERY high quality namebrand memory sticks. PC2 5400 should be more then enough for a non-overclocker.

Good Luck my friend,

No spin here...

ElMo
  26. Hey my reply included some price and all =(
    I should be included !!! :evil:

On a side note, I also dont thing the 7950gt is the best for this kind of money
    I think x1950Pro is a better buy...
  27. Quote:
    Hey my reply included some price and all =(
    I should be included !!! :evil:

On a side note, I also dont thing the 7950gt is the best for this kind of money
    I think x1950Pro is a better buy...

I'm just trying to rid any confusion he has.. because from his responses he was quite confused and quite worried about buying an obsolete system.

Although I disagree with the statement that an Athlon64 X2 is obsolete I agree with the statement that it is no longer the best bang for the buck.

C2D... la fin.
  28. Yeah tottaly agree, saying that the X2 is obsolete is a big over statement!

So you picked up a little french in ottawa =)
  29. Quote:
    Yeah tottaly agree, saying that the X2 is obsolete is a big over statement!

So you picked up a little french in ottawa =)

I picked up most of my french near Pierreville. I was born and raised on a Native Reserve named Odanak. It's like East of Montreal.

I am French-Canadian.
  30. Oh really, cool had no clue!

Coo,l never heard of Odanak, half way between MTL and TR...

So we could almost start a club, I know Pat is a French Canadian too...

Well Ill drink to that!
  31. I thought my comments were accurate and balanced. Do you not agree? :evil:
  32. bola, by now you know you get LOTS of conflicting opinions, a few somewhat biased, almost all very well informed. But they still disagree, because there is no clear answer to "which is best?"

My offering: don't get hung up on "obsolete". One corollary of "Moore's Law" is that technology in this field changes so rapidly, whatever you choose will be out-done by something else within days!! The real focus should be on whether the stuff you assemble will do what you want now, and for a resonable time into the future. So what's "reasonable" - probably a couple years, maybe more if you are not demanding leading-edge performance all the time. For example, if you think you will jump to the new VISTA as soon as it is commercial and stable, you probably want to be sure you get at least 2 GB RAM (which you're doing already), and maybe more. BUT on this one be aware that you cannot use 4GB without going to a 64-bit version of whatever operating system, and those can have their own problems when it comes to running advanced games and hardware.

Me, I didn't buy "bleeding edge". I bought an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ just when the prices dropped after the Core 2 Duo line was released. Everyone here will tell you I am obsolete the day I placed the order. But will I be happy using this system for the next several years? You bet!
  33. Speaking objectively, (Translation: Don't flame me :( ) obviously not.
  34. Then I must ask why he did not make similar comment about the AMD obsolete remark?

You know as well as I that impartiality really does not exist, I seek only to bring balance :lol:
  35. Eh. I have no idea what goes on in the minds of others. Might want to ask a mind reader that question.
  36. Quote:
    Then I must ask why he did not make similar comment about the AMD obsolete remark?

You know as well as I that impartiality really does not exist, I seek only to bring balance :lol:

It's not up to you to bring balance.. it's up to AMD to release a product that tips the balance back into their favor.

Right now AMD is losing in EVERY single Consumer Market segment by any calculative way measurable.

You see my opinion is based on many factors...

Price/Performance
    Performance/Watt
    Performance/Clk
    Overclocking Ability

Total Consumption
    Total Overall Performance
    Total Overall Gaming Performance
    Total Overall Office Application Performance
    Total Overall Video/Audio Encoding/Decoding Performance
    Total Overall Mathematical (Floating Point) Performance

And last but not least...

The Platform.

Right now.. in each one of these categories the C2D has a model leading the pack. Even in Sciencemark, which is a Synthetic non-realworld test.... we see the C2D edging out/tying the Athlon64 X2 at the same clockspeed... that's about as bad as it get's especially considering the C2D does clock higher therefore even though it ties per clk in this particular non-realworld test... it exceeds and zooms by the Athlon64 X2 with it's higher clocked parts.

So balance? Again..it's not up to you to bring balance. It's up to the poster to get the facts straight up without any spin associated to your answer. Everyone is allowed their own personal preferences and are free to use those preferences to purchase their own personal Computer... but don't be mis-informing others... their money, not yours.

Poster even said he didn't overclock :roll: Yet peeps are still shoving an Athlon64 X2 3800+ in his face.
  37. Ah, the mighty Elmo!

I once believed you to be little more than an Intel lover! :oops: I might have been wrong but the jury is still out.

Anyways, where is the spin?

The poster expressed an interest in comparsion between 4400+ & 4600+ and immediately was told dont bother as it is obsolete. I could simply have ignored the comment and then the poster would have been misinformed would he not?

The poster also did express an interest in overclocking if you care to read!!!

If the poster had asked which CPU wasw the fastest then even the Baron would have piped and said C2D.

It's not like you to get your knickers in a twist!
  38. Yeah, so I asked a mind reader but he didnt know either. Appaarently it was a mess in there.
  39. Quote:
    BOLA! What Purdue guy said above. My advice : Buy a Core 2 Duo. Don't wait for AMD's new proccessor because you don't know how much it's gonna cost or how it will perform compared to a Core 2 Duo. If you buy a Core 2 Duo, you will not be disappointed. It is one of the best proccessors on the market if not the best.

What is this, fanboy stuff, impatience, or what? Don't wait a couple weeks and get some information before spending a bunch of money? Easy to say when its someone else's money, I suppose. And hope would he feel if he followed your advice and then read that the new AMDs beat the C2Ds?

Sure, if the computer has to be bought today, C2D would probably give the best value for the money spent. But if there isn't a big hurry, then research and patience will tell where the value really is. Even if the new AMD cpus don't beat C2d, it least some comparitive benchmarks will confirm it and ease the mind as the dollars go on their way to Newegg or whoever.
  40. Quote:
    And hope would he feel if he followed your advice and then read that the new AMDs beat the C2Ds?

They won't, the new 65nm AMD chips out in a week are K8; performance will be identical to the 90nm K8's.

Then again, K8L throws a monkey wrench into the situation, since we don't know how well or poorly it compares to C2D.
    A patient consumer would wait until AMD produces K8L, and then pick K8L or C2D based on data. K8 is just not competitive right now.
  41. Quote:
    BOLA! What Purdue guy said above. My advice : Buy a Core 2 Duo. Don't wait for AMD's new proccessor because you don't know how much it's gonna cost or how it will perform compared to a Core 2 Duo. If you buy a Core 2 Duo, you will not be disappointed. It is one of the best proccessors on the market if not the best.

What is this, fanboy stuff, impatience, or what? Don't wait a couple weeks and get some information before spending a bunch of money? Easy to say when its someone else's money, I suppose. And hope would he feel if he followed your advice and then read that the new AMDs beat the C2Ds?

Sure, if the computer has to be bought today, C2D would probably give the best value for the money spent. But if there isn't a big hurry, then research and patience will tell where the value really is. Even if the new AMD cpus don't beat C2d, it least some comparitive benchmarks will confirm it and ease the mind as the dollars go on their way to Newegg or whoever.

OK, tell me - how exactly will the 65nm X2 beat a C2D when
    1) Technically, apart from being 65nm, they are identical to 90nm X2s, it is just a process shrink, not a new architecture, and...
    2) They are clocked lower than 90nm X2s

At launch, 65nm X2s will perform worse than 90nm X2s because they are clocked at lower speeds.

The fastest 65nm X2 will be the 2.6GHz 5000+, the fastest 90nm X2 will be the 3GHz 6000+, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which one would perform better.

Here's what's going to happen when AMD releases their new 65nm and 90nm chips:

The 65nm X2s will bring power consumption down to comparable levels with C2D, at 65W.

The 90nm 6000+ will bring AMD performance up to E6600 levels, but unless AMD prices them at $300 (highly unlikely, it being the top X2 chip) Intel will remain the better value in the mid to high end.

God I can't believe how naive some AMD fanboys are. All this false hope hanging off a process shrink that won't even clock as high as the previous generation. :roll:

If you all thought AMD will regain the performance crown with 65nm K8s, I'm afraid you're gonna be bitterly disappointed.
  42. I see that you have been getting a LOT of inputs on the CPU, so I wont go there :D

I would suggest you get some good RAM, something like the Corsair XMS2 series in 4-4-4-12 timings and runs @ DDR2-6400. Will cost you around USD 300 on Newegg, but definitely worth every cent. Get yourself a good PSU, Case and LCD.

Suggest you dont spend too much on graphics, you are on the right track with a budget of USD 200 - 250. You could consider the Seagate 7200.10 drives, they are also good.

Hope this helps.
  43. Quote:
    A patient consumer would wait until AMD produces K8L, and then pick K8L or C2D based on data. K8 is just not competitive right now.

K8L=at least 9 months away(an eternity). If we grant it that privilege, then we can do the same for Wolfdale, waiting a couple weeks. But no, Fusion is coming! But no Nehalem is coming! :lol:
  44. Quote:

K8L=at least 9 months away(an eternity). If we grant it that privilege, then we can do the same for Wolfdale, waiting a couple weeks. But no, Fusion is coming! But no Nehalem is coming! :lol:

LOL so true. If we keep waiting for the next gen part to come out we'll never buy anything and AMD and Intel will end up bankrupt. :lol:
  45. Two of my three computers are Intel powered. If that makes me an AMD fanboy, so be it. I just think that until actual benchmarks are seen, and its only a week or two away to see them, it would make sense to look at them first. If Intel wins, then I think that a person would be best off to buy the Intel cpu, simple as that.

No, I don't think it would make sense to wait a few months for results from cpus that are just idle dreams. That's crazy. If the computer is needed right away, then I think the package that ElmoisEvil put together is a good one. All that matters is what the timeframe is for the guy that's intending to buy it as to how whether or not to wait a week or so.
  46. Quote:
    If you have to have a computer now, Core 2 Duo is the way to go.

Truth be told the C2D is a better CPU than AMD, the only AMD chip that is competetive performance wise is the $700 FX/62, but even it takes a close second to Intel.

Quote:
    Since you are not into overclocking, getting DDR2 533 or 667 RAM is more than adequate and cheaper than DDR2 800 which you absolutely need for an AMD AM2 system.

Not true, depends on which chipset you select, NF/4 or NF/5.

I built a AMD system under the guise that AMD was going to make a attempt to stay competetive with Intel on a enthusiasts level which they failed to do.
    I now regret my choice and will continue kicking myself n the arse,
    Price/Performance, Bang for the buck, anyway you slice it he Intel chip is a better choice.
  47. OMFG, 8O 8800GTX, you can actually throttle the CPU
  48. If you already have a K8 motherboard buy very affordable x2 3800+ so that you wont have regrets thinking that you could have bought a better CPU with the same value,AMD made the price cuts for a reason.. then overclock it to 4600 or 4400 speed next year when it does become a little obsolete because of the new K8L arch..Dude, x2 3800 still does wonders for high end gaming and multitasking applications..

but if you plan on building on a system now and youre deciding between x2 and core 2 duo.. save the AMD & Intel fans a beat the geek showdown here and buy C2D because it really is the best as of the moment..
  49. yeah, thanks to all for your comments, but, i'm trying to buy now NOW a good CPU (processor, MB, RAM, VGA card) that wouldn't be obsolete (it means that i can play minimum all the games that appeat in the next 2 or 3 years, oh man i'm exagearting, maybe 1 or 2 years), and i'm trying to buy not something that is the best of the moment (like core 2 duo), NO, i'm trying to build something good (my possible CPU that i wrote in the passed posts) that is extremely good for this days??? i think, ??? am i right????
    and i think this cpu would be enough for the next 2 years, this is because, actually i have a shit of pc:
    MB: pcchips p25g
    1 gig ram: kingston bus 400
    1 pentium 4: 2.4 Ghz.
    1 ati radeon 9550 256mb.
    1 seagate 100 gigas
    and all yhe games that have been released runs perfectly, not at all the resolution and quality but truly it runs fear, prey, doom3
    so, if i'll buy this new CPU whit AMD 4600 or 4200 (that nobody here can say me wich one is the best) again........ IT WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH OR SO MUCH ENOUGH TO VISTA AND GAMING FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS.... too my MB MSI can support 4 slots up to 8 gigas ram.
    so guys tell me the truth.......
    is this CPU goog, or i structure again my buy to a C2D?????????
    ohhhhhh.......
    one more thing.....
    i'm living here in MExico,.............
    not all the techonogy i can find there in the US is found here, so all this shit that i'll buy is one of the best things that i can finf here in mexico, so guy again
    tell me the truth and...........
    teach me how to overclock a processor, because i want to know when i buy my new system, it doesn't matter which one would be it
    thanks
    waiting for response
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Processors Product