Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Lan w/Firewall

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 21, 2006 3:36:30 PM

Hi, I am setting up my own wireless lan at home.
I have a Linksys Router, 3COM Switch (8 ports), Win 2000 Server (DNS, DHCP, etc) and 2 PCs connected.Also, one Wireless notebook.

I have activated the Router built-in Firewall, but want to add a Linux based one, that installs directly from CD-ROM onto the host PC. Y should say I will add another PC to my lan, of course.

My question is, how should I connect everything so I can force inbound traffic from Internet to pass along the Firewall first of all, and then get into my LAN?.
I mean phisically, if i connect everything to the Router the traffic will spread along every PC, and this is not what i am looking for, specially with my server!!!.

I thought about putting 2 NICs on my Firewall PC and connect WAN onto one NIC and the rest (Router, etc) to the other, then configure the Firewall.
Is this correct?.

Thanks in advance.

More about : wireless lan firewall

March 23, 2006 3:06:15 PM

If you want to use a linux box for a firewall/router you will need two network cards. One will be the wan port for internet/firewall and one will be the lan port for your network. I'd just slap together an old junker computer and put clarkconnect, ipcop, or smoothwall on it.
!