Sign in with
Your question

TH and TG website news content. (iPad incident and beyond)

Last response: in Site Feedback
April 8, 2010 3:34:50 PM

Hi,

First of all you should know that I visit the site daily for news tech and I always read hardware reviews extensively. I care so much for the site to the point of contributing the only way I can, which is starting this thread.

I was still in high school and when our computer's class professor recommended it as a top class reference site when building new computers. During the early years I visited the site when I wanted to buy a computer, consult a friend or simply see the trends of the hardware industry. It's all water under the bridge now. I still trust TH for benchmarks and is usually the primary source of information (have to doublecheck though if I want to be objective :p ), but sth remarkable has happened, I now visit TH daily, since it is also a very effective news hub.

TH has been an equivalent of quality in my mind, sth to remind us of the good old times. I know that broadening the news affinity has led more people to the site, more revenue to TH and since there are ample available funds better and more extensive reviews which we enjoy :p 

the iPad news incident should not be neglected, you should use it to your advantage.

It is one of the rare opportunities where you can actually understand your user base and I am glad that Tuan Nguyen took notice. It is now clear that you have 2 big categories (to simplify things, in reality there are more) of readers:
The "loyal" TH readers (I consider myself one of them :p ) who have accounts, rate and comment
The "occasional" TH readers who can be seen by the vast numbers like Tuan commented about a 4-5X hits in the ipad articles. I also read all the ipad news just to laugh, bitch, troll and rate, pure pleasure :p 

Unlike others I believe that it would be good to satisfy both categories, we don't really need a tap in the head :p  The solution that Tuan offered was hasty and not well thought IMHO... Most of my frustration comes from TG articles but this can just be me... What I would like to see is quality in the news section.

I have the following propositions to make which IMO are in the right direction..
1) In the news section color differently the TH and TG news (I know that i can see the link on the status bar), it should be a matter of policy and very easy to implement. I will use an expression from Don Woligroski. For me TG is the "redheaded stepchild that nobody wants". No offense, I am being subjective when I say that, I am sure a lot of people like the articles.
2) I would like to see more consumer monitor reviews and roundups, it is difficult to buy a good monitor nowadays, reviews come months after the release of the hardware. So I was hoping for TH to fill in the gap
3) No news that look like commercials (press releases) like some vendor motherboard and graphics card news. Except if they seem to offer sth new like the Efix and subsequently the Efix scam news
4) Only post noteworthy news, when you actually have a product in your hands or transfer real news from other sites.
5) Not every news article should make it to the frontpage.

PS sorry for extremely long post...
April 9, 2010 2:13:40 AM

+1 for most/all things you have said.
April 9, 2010 11:42:39 AM

I am just happy to be able to comment again.

:) 
April 9, 2010 3:43:22 PM

You make good points.

Please understand that as far as community policy is concerned, it is my role to ensure that the Tom's forums provide a quality value to those who frequent them. To that end, I have to make sure that order and some sense of decorum is maintained, and we do that through a great staff of really dedicated moderators.

One of the biggest challenges for me since I came on board with Bestofmedia has been instilling this sense of discipline. For a very long time, certain sections of the forums, like the article comments for instance, have been barren wastelands of discourse - desolate plains filled with rampaging trolls, flamebaiters and spammers. Threads that get that bogged down in nonsense, bad language, personal attacks and other detritus just don't provide any reading pleasure to anyone.

Of particular concern to me are the personal attacks against staff. These are guys who are doing their jobs to provide information and news to the community that deserve respect, at a minimum civility. If you have a strong opinion, that's fine, you are welcome to express it as you wish, but I will insist that you keep it civil. Besides, ad hominem attacks are the first resort of individuals unable to make their point otherwise, and really have no place here.

If you've been paying attention to the forums, you know that things are improving. There are few spammers, more lively discussions, and article commentary that actually on occasion sticks to topic and isn't smeared top to bottom with four-letter words. I would ask that you help me in making Tom's a better place for conversations about tech by checking your wilder demons at the door. Everyone benefits from a good thread and I'm confident we can maintain the sense of free exchange while keeping things within reason. :) 

Thanks!

Joe Pishgar
Community Manager
April 9, 2010 6:20:04 PM

Thank you for your response

I believe we can agree that my post had a lot of positive remarks for the site's staff, the work that has been done in TH is quite remarkable. Alas, there is always room for more improvements.

jpishgar said:
One of the biggest challenges for me since I came on board with Bestofmedia has been instilling this sense of discipline. For a very long time, certain sections of the forums, like the article comments for instance, have been barren wastelands of discourse - desolate plains filled with rampaging trolls, flamebaiters and spammers. Threads that get that bogged down in nonsense, bad language, personal attacks and other detritus just don't provide any reading pleasure to anyone.

Of particular concern to me are the personal attacks against staff. These are guys who are doing their jobs to provide information and news to the community that deserve respect, at a minimum civility. If you have a strong opinion, that's fine, you are welcome to express it as you wish, but I will insist that you keep it civil. Besides, ad hominem attacks are the first resort of individuals unable to make their point otherwise, and really have no place here.

You can check my posts, they may be sarcastic some times but I always try to be polite (it is a matter of moral values), whenever I disagree with sth, I don't act like a dictator suggesting that I am right and everyone else is wrong, but people do have opinions, and I like to share at a civility as you say :p  If I however offended someone, I apologize, maybe sometimes we overreact to make a point.

jpishgar said:
If you've been paying attention to the forums, you know that things are improving. There are few spammers, more lively discussions, and article commentary that actually on occasion sticks to topic and isn't smeared top to bottom with four-letter words. I would ask that you help me in making Tom's a better place for conversations about tech by checking your wilder demons at the door. Everyone benefits from a good thread and I'm confident we can maintain the sense of free exchange while keeping things within reason. :) 

I agree that things are on a good track in general. I just wanted to share some proposals and I needed a prologue and some justifications to support them. The response is welcome but I was expecting some feedback on the actual points I think I made, and not just a psychological profiling of my digital persona.

I didn't come here to complain, I just saw an "uprising" of many viewers, from their comments and ratings, and I thought it would be nice to take a pause and analyze the move.

Thank you for your time
August 4, 2010 4:37:37 PM

@jpishgar,

is there anything you can do to help strain the newbies out of the forums? you know with questions like will the phenom x6 work on the AM2+ mobos?

we need to make the FAQs more visible and easier to use, cuz most people don't want to have to read a page long post if their question ison the bottom, it takes too long

why not make the search bar a question answer bar? instead of saying search, change it to be "Ask a Question" and then have it reroute to the forums that answers the question

cuz when i joined a year ago, i was impressed at the number of knowledgeable people here, now they have all disappeared, or they don't post much

and all the 50 page long threads are gone, those threads were where the majority of the experienced people went

i say we get back those long threads instead of deleting them as soon as they go off topic, it would be better than the forums with a bunch of teenagers boasting their ignorance
August 4, 2010 4:49:22 PM

Hmm. Those are good suggestions. We do have something similar to that for non-users when they arrive at the forums for the first time. We've been upgrading the Read Me's, but we should definitely push for more updated FAQs on the given specific subforums.
August 5, 2010 2:41:41 PM

i was also thinkin why not make a seperate FAQ section?

it would be a whole new header and then have different subsections

like this

Toms hardware> forums tab

In the forums

FAQ
CPU&components
storage
etc.

then under the new FAQ section

have the subsection

llike so

FAQ
CPU|RAM|Graphics|Storage|Monitors| removable media|etc.

would that work?

!