Sign in with
Your question

CPU heat issues

Last response: in CPUs
November 22, 2006 4:42:55 PM

Yo-

I am not happy with my current CPU tempature. I am running an Athlon64 3700 socket754 with a Zalman CNPS7000 heatsink and fan. My idle temps are around 44-45C and under load it jumps to 63-64C. I have installed the CPU cooler properly, using arctic silver 5, cleaned the cooler and CPU, applied the thermal paste per instuctions using a small grain of rice for the amount and rotated the cooler over the socket to clear out any air bubbles. I am still having what I think are heat issues ( a friend told me I was crazy, that these temps are normal). AM I LOCO? I have 5 case fans, all of which are running, the case temp reaches about 32C. So is this normal or am I installing the cooler wrong? Also does anyone use the same CPU and what are your temps?

Thanks guys.

More about : cpu heat issues

November 22, 2006 5:33:14 PM

I'm going to assume that you are overclocking. You're running pretty close to the limit on your temp. 70c was the top for most of these cpu's, best I remember. Your friend is both technically right, yet wrong in idea. The desired temp would be lower. I'll put it this way, I've overclocked a bunch and my cpu temp runs between 41c-44c under load while using a Zalman 9500.

First thing, you might consider upgrading to a Zalman 9500 or something high performance from Scythe. Second, as I'm not sure what you're using to measure the temps, I'd suggest downloading and using Fanspeed to measure them.

I don't think you're loco in wanting a cooler temp. Only other thing I can think of is to back off the overclock a bit and see what happens with the temps, again assuming that you are overclocking.
November 22, 2006 7:08:13 PM

That's the thing, I haven't begun to overclock yet. That's why I am apprehensive about the temps. I use two programs to monitor it, Abit Guru and also Speedfan. Speedfan gives me lower temps than the Abit one so I have been going with the higher temps to be safe. I thought that this cooler was sufficent but maybe I am wrong. I did think of upgrading it but the system is less than two weeks old, I hate just ditching new parts onto eaby, kind of a pain. But if that's the direction that I need to take I will. Also thinking of a self sustained watercooling solution, but that's a last resort.
!