gnomeofdeath

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Yo-

I am not happy with my current CPU tempature. I am running an Athlon64 3700 socket754 with a Zalman CNPS7000 heatsink and fan. My idle temps are around 44-45C and under load it jumps to 63-64C. I have installed the CPU cooler properly, using arctic silver 5, cleaned the cooler and CPU, applied the thermal paste per instuctions using a small grain of rice for the amount and rotated the cooler over the socket to clear out any air bubbles. I am still having what I think are heat issues ( a friend told me I was crazy, that these temps are normal). AM I LOCO? I have 5 case fans, all of which are running, the case temp reaches about 32C. So is this normal or am I installing the cooler wrong? Also does anyone use the same CPU and what are your temps?

Thanks guys.

sailer

Splendid
I'm going to assume that you are overclocking. You're running pretty close to the limit on your temp. 70c was the top for most of these cpu's, best I remember. Your friend is both technically right, yet wrong in idea. The desired temp would be lower. I'll put it this way, I've overclocked a bunch and my cpu temp runs between 41c-44c under load while using a Zalman 9500.

First thing, you might consider upgrading to a Zalman 9500 or something high performance from Scythe. Second, as I'm not sure what you're using to measure the temps, I'd suggest downloading and using Fanspeed to measure them.

I don't think you're loco in wanting a cooler temp. Only other thing I can think of is to back off the overclock a bit and see what happens with the temps, again assuming that you are overclocking.

gnomeofdeath

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
That's the thing, I haven't begun to overclock yet. That's why I am apprehensive about the temps. I use two programs to monitor it, Abit Guru and also Speedfan. Speedfan gives me lower temps than the Abit one so I have been going with the higher temps to be safe. I thought that this cooler was sufficent but maybe I am wrong. I did think of upgrading it but the system is less than two weeks old, I hate just ditching new parts onto eaby, kind of a pain. But if that's the direction that I need to take I will. Also thinking of a self sustained watercooling solution, but that's a last resort.