noobathon

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Sort of a silly question..but does your box have to be plugged in for your anti- static wristband to work if it's clamped to your case? I don't see any ground happening otherwise, but I don't really understand electricity. And other than having the box plugged in, could I use a small wire soldered to my sprinkler or water pipes, to which the wristband is attached?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
no doesnt have to be plugged in, just attach the clip thing to any peice of metal, table leg or something would work too, a question of my own now. when you say "sprinkler" do you mean the thing on the ceiling that sprays water if theres a fire? if so, how do you get up there to clip it on, and what kind of anti-staic wrist bans cord is long enough to strech from floor to ceiling? oh, and why do you have exposed water pipes in your house?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Sort of a silly question..but does your box have to be plugged in for your anti- static wristband to work if it's clamped to your case? I don't see any ground happening otherwise, but I don't really understand electricity. And other than having the box plugged in, could I use a small wire soldered to my sprinkler or water pipes, to which the wristband is attached?

The idea is that the current will pass from your body into the case via the wrist band rather then into your devices. So long as the wrist band is connected to the metal of your case.. you're grounded to the case.

Do not attach the wrist band to any components that make direct contact with a part of your PC (save for teh case that makes contact with the motherboard but which is grounded as well).

G

No need for the box to be plugged.

Just touching metal will ground you.

Static builds up tru friction either with the air or carpet or whatever. You loose/gain a few electrons in the process. When you touch metal, or any conductor, it will either absorb/give you the 'right' amount of e-.

Thats is gross simplification and might not be excatly correct but its the general idea.

Note that they sale wristband that plug into the ground in the wall yo make sure you are properly grounded.

noobathon

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
umm...I can reach my sprinkler pipes from my counter tops..was thinkin of just soldering a thin wire to one to then clip into....aren't really any other metal surfaces handy near my counter top where I do most of my work

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
umm...I can reach my sprinkler pipes from my counter tops..was thinkin of just soldering a thin wire to one to then clip into....aren't really any other metal surfaces handy near my counter top where I do most of my work

Hopefully lightning doesn't strike your house... :p

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Hopefully lightning doesn't strike your house... :p

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Whatever you do unplug your computer from the wall before working on it or you could end up dead. I have never used a anti-static wrist band before. If you are careful and ground yourself on the case by touching it you should be ok.

TRENDING THREADS