Pocket PC 2002 locks in on the wrong wireless channel

a b F Wireless
February 26, 2005 7:45:37 PM

There are several offices in our building that use an 802.11b wireless
network. The other LAN's operate on a different wireless channel.
Whenever I try to access a computer on my network, I am unable to do it
because my wireless connection locks in on one of the other LANS in the
building. Even though my wireless signal is much stronger than the one
that it usually locks in on?? Is there any way to force Pocket PC 2002 to
accept a specific wireless lan channel ?
March 1, 2005 8:41:27 PM

In message <O1LMQvEHFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Chuck Watson"
<cvwatson@hotmail.com> wrote:
> There are several offices in our building that use an 802.11b wireless
> network. The other LAN's operate on a different wireless channel.
> Whenever I try to access a computer on my network, I am unable to do it
> because my wireless connection locks in on one of the other LANS in the
> building. Even though my wireless signal is much stronger than the one
> that it usually locks in on?? Is there any way to force Pocket PC 2002
> accept a specific wireless lan channel ?

I've had similar problems with wm2003 and wm2003se in 80211.b congested areas.
Fortunately, it doesn't happen all the time. My work around is to use pocket
Winc (not free but worth it imho... www.cirond.com ) and "force" the
association with the access point of my choice. It may take more than one
attempt because it seems to be fighting with the built in zero config wireless
utility that's embedded in wm2003 and up o/s. Usually, by the 2nd or 3rd
attempt it will succeed in connecting to the network of my choice and I can
be on my merry way. You may have better results with a ppc2002 o/s.
Hth,
Dean
!