Sign in with
Your question

What's the best gaming control for Quake4/Unreal/Half Life?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2006 8:33:14 PM

I am not the best at these games, consider myself Ok but I have always struggled with the controls and what to use.

What is the best setup for the 'shoot'em up games". So far I am only using my keyboard but moving with the cursor keys, ducking and moving left to right is so slow, shooting at the same time, changing weapons etc.

What's the best setup for these type of games?
What are you using?

Thanks for any tips......I just get frustrated because I am not fast enough on the keyboard alone.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
November 25, 2006 10:31:38 AM

its personal preference really,

w = forward
s = back
a = strafe left
d = strafe right

mouse = look
mouse1 = fire
mouse2 = scope/second gun function
scroll wheel = change weapon

shift or ctrl as duck
spacebar = jump
November 25, 2006 11:07:41 AM

Logitech make the best mice ever !
G7 all the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and G15 is the dogs balls of keyboards for gaiming well from a subjective point of view anyway.
November 25, 2006 12:10:01 PM

Keyboard
i use the arrow keys and then for all my weapon binds i use Pgup PgDn Home Insert etc. etc.
Mouse
Logitech MX510 Sensitivty 5.3 (for Hl/Hl2)
November 25, 2006 12:15:23 PM

Quote:
its personal preference really,

w = forward
s = back
a = strafe left
d = strafe right

mouse = look
mouse1 = fire
mouse2 = scope/second gun function
scroll wheel = change weapon

shift or ctrl as duck
spacebar = jump

I use pretty much the same setup except I use Q & E as my strafe keys and A & D as my turn left turn right keys. Not that I do a lot of keyboard turning in FPS but you never know when it will come in handy.
November 25, 2006 12:38:30 PM

Isnt it interesting how its the basic computer components that remain the best controllers for fps games?

I use arrow keys, mouse, end (for vehicles) , and right control (jumping), scroll for weapons change.

I've tried joystick, logitec rumble gamepad (those playstation type controllers) - keyboard/mouse still the best for me

Maybe a wii type motion sensing controller may someday be better than keyboard mouse.

cheers
November 25, 2006 12:51:59 PM

I'm using Logitech G15 keyboard and G5 mouse, it's by far the best controls I have used. As for buttons configurations I used this for my universal controls.

Keyboard:

W = forward
S = backward
A = strafe left
D = strafe right
Space bar = jump
C = crouch
E = activate/use
R = reload

Mouse:

Directionals:

Forward = look up
backward = look down
left = look left
right = look right
scroll wheel = weapon change (usually used the numerical 1-0)

It's good if you use the same configuration for all your shooting games, so that you'll be very familiar with it. Find the best configuration for you and then use that one for practice and gaming.
November 25, 2006 1:09:28 PM

i personally love my mx revolution, but that's my opinion
i suggest when you buy a mouse, test it, everybody has different hands
as for my keys, i won't tell because i would confuse you.
we use AZERTY in belgium :wink:
November 25, 2006 1:09:31 PM

You mean like, you want to play like on a Playstation 2? You can probably find a PS/2 to USB adapter...

Unfortunately most of these guys are killing the PC gaming industry by sticking to the keyboard. Gamepads and joysticks are almost completely gone, and everyone is switching to consoles, all because these guys insist on using keyboards. It's all their fault :) 
November 25, 2006 2:01:19 PM

Decent mouse (Logitech MX510) and any sturdy keyboard. Personally I use the mouse to turn and AD for strafing, but it's just whatever feels best for you.
Synergy6
November 27, 2006 4:44:25 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately most of these guys are killing the PC gaming industry by sticking to the keyboard. Gamepads and joysticks are almost completely gone, and everyone is switching to consoles, all because these guys insist on using keyboards. It's all their fault :) 

1) A keyboard and mouse are still the best way to play an FPS. Gamepads don't have the percision that a mouse has for looking, and you need access to all the remaining buttons on the keyboard with the other hand to carry everything out. If you tried to set up a left-hand game pad for movement, you'd quickly find that you can do little else.

2) The PC is still a far more flexible gaming system than any console. The problem is that game publishers are designing a game for one platform (ie. the console), then porting the game over to the other. Take Oblivion for example: It's an FPS game, so you need the twitch & accuracy of the mouse, but its entire inventory and menu system is designed to be used by a console, on a low resolution screen. From the interface perspective, the PC was given the shoddy end of the deal. Now, since a console is far easier to develop & test for (single set of pre-defined hardware), that's what game publishers are aiming at.

The PC is not a dead gaming platform, it just needs games properly designed for it.
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
November 27, 2006 6:19:46 PM

I only play a few FPS games, but I mainly use the good ol' keyboardrd/mouse combo; Saitek Eclipse & Logitec MX510 mouse.

I bought a Saitek wireless rumble game pad, but I rarely used it in the over 2 years since I had it.
!