Yet another request for build opinions (edited)

Luney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
I've put together a possible build. Please see below.

For the past three years, I've been happy with an A64 3000+ system. I game, but not even close to heavily, and I don't overclock. There's nothing wrong with this system for me, but I've got the itch and want to build something new.

So far, I've decided on a Sonata II case and PSU, an E6300, and a 7600 GT. But I'm driving myself crazy trying to find a decent mobo for under 150, and includes firewire support. I'm also not sure what speed RAM to get, esp considering I don't OC. I don't want to spend any more than $1000 on the case and what's inside, and the cheaper, the better (without sacrificing dependability, though). My only gaming need in my forseable future is I want to try Oblivion. Anything else, I know I can upgrade again.

So any suggestions you can throw my way would be highly appreciated.

I'm also open to opinions to what I can do to my A64 rig to pep it up (without gutting it); and what's a good 19" non-widescreen LCD for ~$200.

Thanks!

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I think this 19'' BenQ is a nice, cost-effective gaming LCD. It's basically the same specs/price as the Acer, but I like some of its design elements better.

Bare minimum graphics for Oblivion will be a 7600GT, and I think that'll be on low settings. You've been at 2x512MB for awhile, treat yourself to 2x1GB sticks. No doubt you'll want this upgrade to be dual core... can't beat the Core 2 Duo 6300 in the performance budget arena. Sonata II w/PSU is a good choice. I'm sure someone will be along soon to flush out a build to your specific budget :D

Luney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for your suggestions , qwertycopter. I was already looking at the 7600 GT. The right price and great performance for my low needs. And I'm definitely going to get 2gb RAM. I think the old rig deserves some of that too.

Luney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Did I mention that I'm building a new rig and keeping the A64? Everyone in a household deserves their own computer. :lol:

So here's what I'm thinking -
Sonata II
E6300
eVGA 7600GT
2 GB Corsair ValueSelect DDR2-667
And this mobo: Intel Motherboard

As I stated, I don't overclock, and in all likelihood, I won't get a game more resource hungry than Oblivion in the next 3 years.

However, I'm wondering if I should get a more "future proof" mobo, such as a P5B-E. CPU, PSU, RAM can all be upgraded easily.

Honestly, cost isn't an issue, but I spent too much $$$ on my A64 box, and only now am I reaching the limits of its potential - and that's only in terms of RAM. I don't want to repeat that with this build.

Oh, here's a fun question. I still have my Artic Silver 5.0 from three years ago. It's been in the fridge all this time. Think it's still good?

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
A good cheap mobo is the biostar Tforce 965PTor the abit AB9. Its cheaper than the p5b-e which is also very good.

qrhetoric

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I just built my new system for $1000.17. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want, but sounds very close. Note that I think you are making a mistake spending less than 200 on the video card, and you MUST get 2GB of RAM for a decent computer going forward.

Sy my signature below for computer. Note that the Creative SB Live! I cannibalized from my last computer. But you might not need a sound card, depending on your taste, or you could just get a cheap one.

Bruce

Luney

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Ok, so I'm about convinced to spring for the x1950. A too big vid card never hurt anybody. But geez, that Powercolor x1950 pro looks like it would beat up my 9600 pro and steal its lunch money.

The AB9 does look like what I want, and for a decent price. As for sound card, I think I'm going to take the one out of the A64 and let it run onboard.

Definitely 2GB RAM. My goal is to have both of my comps running that much. Then there will be harmony in my house.

Ok -
Sonata II
E6300
AB9
x1950 (possibly the evil-looking Powercolor)
2GB (2x1gb) Corsair ValueSelect DDR2-667
DVD drive that I hope I get for Christmas
some HD when I decide how big an HD I want
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz from A64 (don't laugh, it's 3 years old)
2 extra case fans

Will the 430W PSU in the Sonata take care of all this?

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks for your suggestions , qwertycopter. I was already looking at the 7600 GT. The right price and great performance for my low needs. And I'm definitely going to get 2gb RAM. I think the old rig deserves some of that too.

The 7600GT is a great card for the price\performance area.If you do go with the 7600GT, get an evga brand they have life time warranty and a step-up program.(and it's not to shabby on oblivion either) :wink:

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I think that PSU should be enough although you better calculate it. Also dont forget that the x1950 pro needs that extra connector.