Getting SATA to work on AB9?

Chrillo

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Somehow my hd is running in UDMA-5 mode (ATA100), whilst it is a SATA disc, connected to the SATA connections on the mobo. What have I done wrong? See SiSoftware Sandra screenshot.

satacg7.gif

I would really appreciate some help on how to solve this so that it runs in SATA mode!

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
SATA drives have a fall-back PATA emulation mode.
I'm guessing that you haven't installed a driver for the controller.

It doesn't really make any difference anyway ...

Chrillo

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I have installed the intel chipset driver, and during the windows xp installation i inserted the SATA driver after pressing F6 during the set up.

When I benchmark my HD and compare it to a similar HD my performance is significantly lower, even though I know my HD is a SATA drive.

I can't access the SATA options in the bios that is shown in the mobo-manual either, they simply don't exist.

This is driving me nuts.

z0sense

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Which controller are you using? The Jmicron or Intel?

In either case you most likely need to install the driver from the installation CD you received.

If you are using the intel controller, install intel Matrix Storage Manager.

Intel has released a new version of its Matrix Storage Manager on their site you can download.

Also, the Bios shots you are probably seeing in the manual are from the individual controller's BIOSs. Typically you will not have an option to enter them if you do not have a drive attached to that specific controller.

z0sense

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Yes and no.

You can still see your drive in the matrix storage manager. Try installing it and see what happens.

Also go in the BIOS:

1. Go Under "Integrated Periherals"
2. Select OnChip IDE Device
3. On the "Sata Mode" option select AHCI
4. Save and exit

Most likely you are set to IDE........switching over to AHCI on the intel controller should solve your problems.

Report back and let us know

Chrillo

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Yes and no.

You can still see your drive in the matrix storage manager. Try installing it and see what happens.

Also go in the BIOS:

1. Go Under "Integrated Periherals"
2. Select OnChip IDE Device
3. On the "Sata Mode" option select AHCI
4. Save and exit

Most likely you are set to IDE........switching over to AHCI on the intel controller should solve your problems.

Report back and let us know

Tried it, the only option I have under OnChip IDE Device is "IDE Bus Master" and then an option to enable or disable it. This "Sata Mode" option isn't there.

Having an ABIT AB9 mobo, and have tried to connect the HD to both the sata-4 and sata-8 port.

Clueless

Chrillo

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
The default one, dunno exactly what version, will check later. Think that's the problem, that I need to update it?