Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E6300 Duo Core vs. AMD 64 x2 5000+ ?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 22, 2006 10:56:48 PM

Which 1 best used for gaming with the nvidia 8800 gtx.

Looking for opinions. Thanks in advance any help will be greatly appreciated :) 
November 22, 2006 11:40:17 PM

Core 2 Duo is always best.
You will get the performance of the 5000+ for only 200$.
November 22, 2006 11:43:18 PM

Sorry a bit confused. Do u mean that for $200 more I could get x2 5000+ prformance?

and thx for the reply :) 
Related resources
November 22, 2006 11:50:51 PM

Hey thanx again for the replies guys ... the info has been great. I just ordered a E6300 and was trying to get more opinions because I have 24 hrs to cancel my order. They screwed up my AMD 64 x2 by telling me I was going to be able to run the 8800 on that toer but it turned out that the card would not fit because the way the tower and motherboard was set up there wasnt enuff room now I have to return it. Also they did not send me a proper power sully to be able to run the 8800(375) so I now am looking into the E6300 xps 700 for $1925. The AMD cost me 1095.

Does this sound like something u would do?

please post ur opinions and thanks in advance :) 
November 23, 2006 5:23:40 AM

First off, shame on the other posters. For gaming, the X2 5000 is about on par with the 6400. It's 10%+ faster than the 6300, in most games.
Now as to your prices? What do you get with the Intel system to make it worth $900. more ?
If I were you, I would tell the vender that they are in breach of contract, that I was returning the system, and they could return it in a case that supports that gfx card, or return the money.
November 23, 2006 6:59:21 AM

I pressume you would overclock right?

Well if you are not into OCing but have the money and between these two I think you should buy 5000+ but with the price of that you can already buy E6400 or maybe e6600 of a newer and superior C2D.

Athlon X2's price/performance starts getting choked by Intel Core 2 starting from their 4200+ sereis and up. I think 3800+ is still a good buy though.. well at least over the PDs..but in the contrary actually I think all amd x2s are still good buys but C2D is just a better option
November 23, 2006 7:13:49 AM

If you are saying that there are a lot of jokers doing benchies out there, I'll agree.
Reputable sites like gamepc and Tom's still exist.
November 23, 2006 7:20:19 AM

Like those Tekbunker's site i read from one of the threads? :) 
November 23, 2006 7:42:15 AM

Funny wasn't it.
Still, in a back handed way, I think he was saying that, if you can get an X2 5000 system for $1000, you will be better off than spending $2000 on an E6300 system. If that was what he was trying to say, he was right.
Mind you, he did buy the Intel system for himself.
November 23, 2006 10:43:42 AM

Shut it fanpoi
November 23, 2006 11:37:52 AM

Quote:
Which 1 best used for gaming with the nvidia 8800 gtx.

Looking for opinions. Thanks in advance any help will be greatly appreciated :) 


:D  I buy a PC with C2D E 6300 and, realy it's strong! For testing, i play Doom III at full settings and it's work very well. It's the at this prices!
November 23, 2006 11:47:54 AM






The 5000 will need at least 4.2GHz to beat this.
November 23, 2006 12:17:23 PM

Quote:
Shut it fanpoi


I dont know guys. THG oc'd a X2 3600+ 256k x 2 (dual sempron) and it smoked the E6300 and the 5000+.
I think if you overclock both chips, the 5000+ would burn the E6300. However because of supply shortages, the AMD chips have not yet dropped to a comparable price level. The C2D is a better buy, but it will not wow you. I've built a couple E6300 systems and was abit underwhelmed.

You are joking right?
The 5000+ is twice the price anyway.
And an OC'd E6300 eats it alive.

And will you AMD Fans stop going on about OC'ing your x2's. Yes they used to OC well, but now the new OC mark has been set by core2. People are getting 100% Oc's from E6600's. A 3ghz OC from 1.8 is pretty much expected as a standard OC for an E6300.

Get over it, AMD can't match the headroom C2D has.

Quote:
Still, in a back handed way, I think he was saying that, if you can get an X2 5000 system for $1000, you will be better off than spending $2000 on an E6300 system. If that was what he was trying to say, he was right.


I don't think that is the case though. If the OP Would provide links to both the systems that would help.
I can't see a $1000 system having a 8800 GTX :|
The posts are very unclear, and a $1000 vs $2000 system obviously has some huge differences.
People replying were under the assumption that the person was building his own system and not buying an XPS.
Can you even get an XPS for $1000? Sounds awful cheap to me.

Quote:
If you are saying that there are a lot of jokers doing benchies out there, I'll agree.
Reputable sites like gamepc and Tom's still exist.


Fair enough, AMD wins the iTunes bench. Rememeber though an E6300 can hit the speed of an E6700 with a simple easy no risk overclock.
It can quite easily go beyond that too.
November 23, 2006 1:46:15 PM

I was actually trying to buy 1 from Dell but they screwed up. Even if I had been able to fit the 8800 in the chasis the power supply they sent was only 375 watts so either way it wasn't gonna work out .. I then ordered a XPS 700 E6300 but I thought that having to spend an addional 950 bux just cuz they lied to me wasn't worth it. The total for the pc including the 8800(which I still have) was goingto come out to 2800 bux instead of 1850 for the AMD, I decided not to give DELL any of my money ever again unless they give me a discount for screwing me up. I've had this pc here since Monday and never got to turn it on.


thanx every 1 for the replies and information and in advance for any opinions on where to go buy another system. :) 
November 23, 2006 2:02:44 PM

Quote:
Shut it fanpoi


I dont know guys. THG oc'd a X2 3600+ 256k x 2 (dual sempron) and it smoked the E6300 and the 5000+.
I think if you overclock both chips, the 5000+ would burn the E6300. However because of supply shortages, the AMD chips have not yet dropped to a comparable price level. The C2D is a better buy, but it will not wow you. I've built a couple E6300 systems and was abit underwhelmed.

You are joking right?
The 5000+ is twice the price anyway.
And an OC'd E6300 eats it alive.

And will you AMD Fans stop going on about OC'ing your x2's. Yes they used to OC well, but now the new OC mark has been set by core2. People are getting 100% Oc's from E6600's. A 3ghz OC from 1.8 is pretty much expected as a standard OC for an E6300.

Get over it, AMD can't match the headroom C2D has.

Quote:
Still, in a back handed way, I think he was saying that, if you can get an X2 5000 system for $1000, you will be better off than spending $2000 on an E6300 system. If that was what he was trying to say, he was right.


I don't think that is the case though. If the OP Would provide links to both the systems that would help.
I can't see a $1000 system having a 8800 GTX :|
The posts are very unclear, and a $1000 vs $2000 system obviously has some huge differences.
People replying were under the assumption that the person was building his own system and not buying an XPS.
Can you even get an XPS for $1000? Sounds awful cheap to me.

Quote:
If you are saying that there are a lot of jokers doing benchies out there, I'll agree.
Reputable sites like gamepc and Tom's still exist.


Fair enough, AMD wins the iTunes bench. Rememeber though an E6300 can hit the speed of an E6700 with a simple easy no risk overclock.
It can quite easily go beyond that too.

The problem with Core 2s headroom is that there are truly diminishing returns as you go higher price. If you can get 2.93 from an E6300, why buy an X6800.

With AMD they are better suited to differentiation. As people ar efond of saying most consumers only see price. They won't care if the Core 2 is faster if they only have $800 to spend. I was in a PC store earlier this week and AMD is undercutting Intel at every price/perf point.

The most popular chip I saw was the 4200+ with 2GB RAM. It was 5 out of 10 floor models.

From the OP there is NO way I would pay $900 more for an E6300 system over a 5000+.
November 23, 2006 2:03:40 PM

They've gone from saying that the Core 2 duo sucked, then saying that the benches were rigged to now saying that its nothing special. To this flip flop, I utter the proverbial, Meh.
November 23, 2006 2:10:18 PM

I'm looking for mostly gaming.

I was looking at the HP website I u can get a E6600 for under 1300 now my question is, y is the HP C2D 700 bux cheaper than the Dell?

Please post any opinions about it ... thanks in advance u guys r really helping me out :) 
November 23, 2006 2:18:51 PM

I'm not really sure, there are numerous factor which could lead to cheaper prices from vendor to vendor, not limited to cheaper or inferior parts, or plain old competition. :?
Build your own and get a better deal though.
Jack? Any idea's?
November 23, 2006 2:19:06 PM

Quote:

The problem with Core 2s headroom is that there are truly diminishing returns as you go higher price. If you can get 2.93 from an E6300, why buy an X6800.

With AMD they are better suited to differentiation. As people ar efond of saying most consumers only see price. They won't care if the Core 2 is faster if they only have $800 to spend. I was in a PC store earlier this week and AMD is undercutting Intel at every price/perf point.

The most popular chip I saw was the 4200+ with 2GB RAM. It was 5 out of 10 floor models.

From the OP there is NO way I would pay $900 more for an E6300 system over a 5000+.


God you talk rubbish.

Firstly the reason for models is marketing. This is how a company makes money. You should know about this AMD Are good at it, especially with that 4x4 crap you constantly defend.

It would be nice if intel released the E6300 with a 3.0ghz stock speed, it's obvious they could, but AMD should count their lucky stars Intel hasn't. Although its most likely a decision intel made anyway, since they probably don't want to be over competitive.

x3800's can be clocked to the same speed as 5000's Why buy those. Why have more than 1 model? Why do anything.

As for your last point, you dont even know what is in the E6300 system for a start. That extra money is certainly not a cpu charge.
November 23, 2006 2:42:07 PM

Quote:

The problem with Core 2s headroom is that there are truly diminishing returns as you go higher price. If you can get 2.93 from an E6300, why buy an X6800.

With AMD they are better suited to differentiation. As people ar efond of saying most consumers only see price. They won't care if the Core 2 is faster if they only have $800 to spend. I was in a PC store earlier this week and AMD is undercutting Intel at every price/perf point.

The most popular chip I saw was the 4200+ with 2GB RAM. It was 5 out of 10 floor models.

From the OP there is NO way I would pay $900 more for an E6300 system over a 5000+.


God you talk rubbish.

Firstly the reason for models is marketing. This is how a company makes money. You should know about this AMD Are good at it, especially with that 4x4 crap you constantly defend.

It would be nice if intel released the E6300 with a 3.0ghz stock speed, it's obvious they could, but AMD should count their lucky stars Intel hasn't. Although its most likely a decision intel made anyway, since they probably don't want to be over competitive.

x3800's can be clocked to the same speed as 5000's Why buy those. Why have more than 1 model? Why do anything.

As for your last point, you dont even know what is in the E6300 system for a start. That extra money is certainly not a cpu charge.

Enthusiast OC. Regular buyers don't. I actually don't. I did turn my HT up to 210 but that's it. I don't defend QFX any more than any other good system. It's still two sockets without ECC.

I would recommend C2Q for those who are interested in quad. I would recommend QFX for those interested in 2 sockets without ECC and server level construction.

I still wouldn't pay $900 more for E6300 over 5000+.
November 23, 2006 2:52:17 PM

I really don't knoiw much about overclocking and I doubt I'll be doing that .. I want to be able to just slide in this 8800 have it fit, have it have the proper power cords and just start using it. The HP I bought from Circuit city the case was so small I cut my hands just installing the memory and it didnt have the power cords for the video card thats y I went to dell and then of course we know what happened after that. Looks like many won't pay the extra 900 for a dell E6300 over the amd 5000+ ... but looking at the HP site it seems that they pretty much match the price of the AMD 64 x2 5000 with their E6600.

Please keep the opinions coming .. I'm really learning as I go by reading what u guys r posting.

Thanks again and in advance :) 
November 23, 2006 3:21:32 PM

Well first you need to understand what you are doing.
The factor in your decision is not the processor. It's the size of the case.
Have you bought the 8800 yet?

You don't seem like you are confident with taking computers apart. I'd advise you try and buy a system with the graphics card already as standard.
Or try and find a local store that will be happy to build a custom machine for you at a similar price.

Could you also link the systems you are talking about.
I'm looking on the dell site and can't even see any AMD systems :|
November 23, 2006 3:36:47 PM

Quote:
Well first you need to understand what you are doing.
The factor in your decision is not the processor. It's the size of the case.
Have you bought the 8800 yet?

You don't seem like you are confident with taking computers apart. I'd advise you try and buy a system with the graphics card already as standard.
Or try and find a local store that will be happy to build a custom machine for you at a similar price.

Could you also link the systems you are talking about.
I'm looking on the dell site and can't even see any AMD systems :|





Well I really have no problem doing minor stuff inside the pc like changing Video cards, adding ram etc.

these r the 1's I'm looking at HP http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.d...

Can I have 1 built with these same specs for lower price? .. I dont need a monitor and other stuff I have a 24 " flat already and I also have the 8800 gtx card just waiting to be installed.

thx for the reply :) 
November 23, 2006 4:19:56 PM

Lol

Do you AMD fanbois really think that $900 difference is because of a processor costing under $200 compared to a processor costing over twice the amount. Hmmm could it be that the systems are different???

I have always bought AMD but ATM it seems utterly stupid to buy something else than C2D in the price category of around $200 or more.

If you really think that buying a similary priced AMD processor over Intel is better bang for the buck you are denying the facts.
November 23, 2006 4:41:46 PM

Quote:
First off, shame on the other posters. For gaming, the X2 5000 is about on par with the 6400. It's 10%+ faster than the 6300, in most games.
Now as to your prices? What do you get with the Intel system to make it worth $900. more ?
If I were you, I would tell the vender that they are in breach of contract, that I was returning the system, and they could return it in a case that supports that gfx card, or return the money.


Endyen, untrue:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=280...
http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-15/intel-core-2-...
http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-15/intel-core-2-...
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core...
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core...


In the benchmarks you've quoted from Anandtech, C2D wins in only one game.
I don't bother with those other sites, Anandtech at the moment is one of the very few which i consider reputable (together with Ars Technica, and to a MUCH lesser degree Tom's HW (at least in the last 2 or 3 years); too bad that Aceshardware is pretty much dead).
However the margin is small, and if you're gonna overclock, the X2s don't stand a chance, i don't think you can push it more than 3GHz, and an E6300 @ 2.67 or more simply smokes it, and it can go far higher than that.
Not to mention that the E6300 is cheaper.
November 23, 2006 4:44:48 PM

Quote:
Lol

Do you AMD fanbois really think that $900 difference is because of a processor costing under $200 compared to a processor costing over twice the amount. Hmmm could it be that the systems are different???

I have always bought AMD but ATM it seems utterly stupid to buy something else than C2D in the price category of around $200 or more.

If you really think that buying a similary priced AMD processor over Intel is better bang for the buck you are denying the facts.


Everyone will NOT have the fastest chip even if only Core 2 is sold. X2 is more than fast enough so I would not tell people to disregard it becuase Core 2 is a little faster. You can still get a gamer's system for a good price. The only reason I didn't really push NetBurst was because it was too hot.

Of course people who absolutely have to hve the fastest that's Core 2 but for people who want a PC that will do what they want as fast as they need, then an X2 that's 100s less is a great deal.
November 23, 2006 4:46:33 PM

N00b AMDroid, the E6300 can clock faster than the 5000+ could ever hope to achieve.
November 23, 2006 4:52:14 PM

Quote:
Everyone will NOT have the fastest chip even if only Core 2 is sold. X2 is more than fast enough so I would not tell people to disregard it becuase Core 2 is a little faster. You can still get a gamer's system for a good price. The only reason I didn't really push NetBurst was because it was too hot.

Of course people who absolutely have to hve the fastest that's Core 2 but for people who want a PC that will do what they want as fast as they need, then an X2 that's 100s less is a great deal.



It's not just good, it's good ENOUGH!!

N00b. Last I checked the E6300 was only $15 more than the X2 3800+.
November 23, 2006 6:48:09 PM

Quote:
Well first you need to understand what you are doing.
The factor in your decision is not the processor. It's the size of the case.
Have you bought the 8800 yet?

You don't seem like you are confident with taking computers apart. I'd advise you try and buy a system with the graphics card already as standard.
Or try and find a local store that will be happy to build a custom machine for you at a similar price.

Could you also link the systems you are talking about.
I'm looking on the dell site and can't even see any AMD systems :|



Any chance any 1 can give me any advice on those on that link? or is it going to be cheaper for me to have a system made with something close to those specs and still save money?


thanks in advance :) 




Well I really have no problem doing minor stuff inside the pc like changing Video cards, adding ram etc.

these r the 1's I'm looking at HP http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.d...

Can I have 1 built with these same specs for lower price? .. I dont need a monitor and other stuff I have a 24 " flat already and I also have the 8800 gtx card just waiting to be installed.

thx for the reply :) 
November 23, 2006 7:15:31 PM

Quote:
With AMD they are better suited to differentiation. As people ar efond of saying most consumers only see price. They won't care if the Core 2 is faster if they only have $800 to spend.

Let's make a conclusion based on BaronBS CRAPLogic® :
The best dualcore CPU out there is the Pentuum D 805!
Althouh people don't care about speed, it's faster than Athlon64 FX-60!
2666MHz 2x1MB L2 vs 2600MHz 2x1MB L2

Because people see only price.....
PentiumD 805, $84:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001R
Athlon64 FX-60, $490:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103608

:roll:
November 23, 2006 7:18:02 PM

Please any help will be greatly appreciated :) 
November 23, 2006 7:46:09 PM

The best CPU for gaming right now is C2D!
You can also check that on the AMD official site.
Winner: "Best Gaming PC" 2006*

Quote:
Brand: Overdrive
Model: Core2.X-Fire
Case and Color: [Cooler Master] CM Stacker 830 (Silver) Mid/Full Tower
Video Adapter(s): Two ATI Radeon® X1900 XTX (512 MB) HyperClocked™
Disk Array 1 | Hard Disk Drive(s): 10,000RPM Western Digital Raptor Hard Drive and a Seagate 750GB 7,200RPM Hard drive
Processor(s): [Intel] Core 2 Duo X6800 2.93GHz (HyperClocking Pending)
Motherboard: [Intel] D975XBX CrossFire (775) Motherboard
System Memory: 2GB DDR/DDR2
Operating System: [Microsoft] Windows XP (Professional)
CD/DVD 1: [Sony] 16X Dual Layer DVD Burner 52X CD Burner
System Warranty and Coverage:3 Year Platinum Warranty
November 23, 2006 7:49:42 PM

Quote:
The best CPU for gaming right now is C2D!
You can also check that on the AMD official site.
Winner: "Best Gaming PC" 2006*

Brand: Overdrive
Model: Core2.X-Fire
Case and Color: [Cooler Master] CM Stacker 830 (Silver) Mid/Full Tower
Video Adapter(s): Two ATI Radeon® X1900 XTX (512 MB) HyperClocked™
Disk Array 1 | Hard Disk Drive(s): 10,000RPM Western Digital Raptor Hard Drive and a Seagate 750GB 7,200RPM Hard drive
Processor(s): [Intel] Core 2 Duo X6800 2.93GHz (HyperClocking Pending)
Motherboard: [Intel] D975XBX CrossFire (775) Motherboard
System Memory: 2GB DDR/DDR2
Operating System: [Microsoft] Windows XP (Professional)
CD/DVD 1: [Sony] 16X Dual Layer DVD Burner 52X CD Burner
System Warranty and Coverage:3 Year Platinum Warranty



Is there any chance I could have 1 built with the C2D and have it cost cheaper than what those on HP http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.d...


thanks :) 
November 23, 2006 8:10:12 PM

although im not a fan of dell, it seems to me that dell did no wrong with not selling you a computer that could use an 8800gtx. From what you've said they didnt say that it would. dell isn't responsible for any upgrades you put in it one of the pcs they built, and neither is hp.

For the e6300 and 5000 x2 debate. it doesnt matter if the 5000 x2 marginally beats the e6300 in a couple benchmarks, since the e6300 is half the price.
November 23, 2006 8:46:09 PM

yes they did tell me there would be no problem to put in the 8800. They sold the card to me. the tech support ppl ( 3 of them) told me that it would hold the 8800. i wouldnt have bought the card with a system that wouldnt hold it .
November 23, 2006 9:12:31 PM

Quote:
Is there any chance I could have 1 built with the C2D and have it cost cheaper than what those on HP http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.d...


thanks :) 

If you want something to be done right, do it by yourself.

Core2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB L2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004R
$195.65

ASUS P5B Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131030R
$89.99

BIOSTAR VP8803GX73 GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814141046
$639.99

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145098
$199.99

COOLER MASTER CAVALIER 3 CAV-T03-UW Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119075
$59.99

2 X Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701
2 X $74.99

LITE-ON Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106043
$35.99


Total: $1371.58
November 23, 2006 9:17:33 PM

What determines how many power cables come from the power suppy ? Do I just take this list to a computer store and tell them this is what i want?
November 23, 2006 9:25:08 PM

Most PSUs power cables are the same, except for the amount of SLI and/or SATA connections on them. You can easily count them on any picture showing what the power cable connections look like (ie. 3 5V molex connectors on one line, or 3 SATA on a line).

For the mainboard power, look for a 20+4 pin configuration, since that will allow you to use it on both a 20 pin or 24 pin mainboard connection.

Also, there should be a 4 pin 12V cable, or even 2 on some PSUs, available.

The newest thing is modular cabling, which allows you to just use the cables you need, which in turn helps air flow by eliminating unnecessary cabling from interfering with air flow.

See this picture for modular: Modular cables

It also shows the different connections you might be using and how many you may need.

Good luck.
November 24, 2006 3:59:58 AM

Quote:
Lol

Do you AMD fanbois really think that $900 difference is because of a processor costing under $200 compared to a processor costing over twice the amount. Hmmm could it be that the systems are different???

I have always bought AMD but ATM it seems utterly stupid to buy something else than C2D in the price category of around $200 or more.

If you really think that buying a similary priced AMD processor over Intel is better bang for the buck you are denying the facts.


Everyone will NOT have the fastest chip even if only Core 2 is sold. X2 is more than fast enough so I would not tell people to disregard it becuase Core 2 is a little faster. You can still get a gamer's system for a good price. The only reason I didn't really push NetBurst was because it was too hot.

Of course people who absolutely have to hve the fastest that's Core 2 but for people who want a PC that will do what they want as fast as they need, then an X2 that's 100s less is a great deal.


So youre telling me that if a person is building a new system from the scratch he should go for X2 just the fun of it and either spend a couple hundred more to get equivalent system or just settle for lower processing power.

If thats what you want its a free country but ATM I see no reason to buy AMD from the price/performance point (this idea is backed by dozens of hardware sites but If you wanna believe otherwise i dont care)
November 24, 2006 4:29:26 AM

What is BaronMatrix nlogic JumpinJack???? :)  :) 

Must be something hardcore :p 
November 24, 2006 4:34:08 AM

Hahaha :) 
November 24, 2006 4:38:06 AM

no competition, e6300 is cheaper and performs almost the same
November 24, 2006 4:49:28 AM

when it comes to gaming.. I dont think you could go wrong either way..


The real problem lies with being able to use your machine for multimedia purposes....

we are all starting to edit our own YOUtube masterpieces....

And this is where you might want to consider...


You'll see in most respects.. that the C2D creams the equivalent clockspeed X2 by 30-50%


I decided to test it out..


I have two overclocked processors...



both are overclocked to 2.67 ghz
both have same ram size and speed
both have same hard drives
both have same OS (x64)
both have same powersupply
both use Zalman 9500 cooler for overclocking

They do not have the same video card (6600gt and 7600gt)
and they do not have the same cpus (obviously)
I have a premium asus board for a overclocked 2.67 3800+
I have a msi Neo-f board with an overclocked E6400

the fact they do not have the same gpu doesnt mean much.. as I'll be testing the x64 edition of Lightwave 3D.. (which i'll only use rendering scenes that use the cpu.. not gpu)



radiosity box render scene:

amd
27minutes and 24seconds

e6400
17minutes and 17seconds



Now thats only really a 3rd faster... but when you render out video .. and you can save 10 minutes...... per frame... and you're doing 5 minutes of video.. that certainly adds up!

I went through all the benchmarks to compare.. and I came to realize that its really anywhere from 30-50 percent faster...



To me.. when making a purchase... I think about the future... right now .. the C2D has more room for growth compared to the older athlon x2 line....



and it gives you more options...


lets wait and see what amd's response will be...


lets face it.. intel would have never released such amazing cpus if it wasn't for the fact amd makes amazing cpus as well....

this competition only gives us one clear winner..

US!


Cheers

Darryl
November 24, 2006 5:06:34 AM

I just get tired of the dedication each fanboy fanclub has lol.

Neither company would be what it is today, if it wasn't for the other company...



I love my C2D cpu... but then again... I'm sure I'll love the AMD/ATI CPU/GPU hybrid they're working on.. (and that WILL help both games and 3d rendering).. did i mention that i'm drooling right now...

I tend to be one of those guys that upgrades so often that he ends up with enough spare parts to simply buy a cpu and motherboard and presto.. a complete machine...

I love my 3800.. its a great machine.. I use it just as much as my core2duo..


there is only one real problem with my prior post.... and im curious enough to fix it..


Lightwave has always had an intel chipset preference for rendering..

it was originally written to take advantage of their chips....



I'm going to do tests in:

Maya 7
Animation Master

Windows Media Encoder
TMPGEnc


I'll let you guys know all the parts used... and my end results...


have a good night guys...

Darryl
November 24, 2006 5:40:43 AM

Is that an X2 3800, or the planin Jane single core variant?
Not much point in comparing SMP progs, if it's single core!
November 24, 2006 5:46:31 AM

sorry.. both are dual core...

3800 X2


I've been reading Toms Hardware for some time...


I've never said anything.. but I love the aspect of putting our toys to the test...


I'll be rendering out a scene...


Actually... there are a couple things I'd love to see from sites such as toms hardware and company...


give us the example files to render and encode on our machines.. so we know where we fit in the scheme of performance...


I'm realllly crashing now.. my first thanksgiving in the states since marrying my American sweetheart lol.... (canadian eh?!)

I'll post my results after lunch tomorrow..

gnight peeps!
November 24, 2006 5:46:50 AM

My main beef is with people not reading. Every one of the earlier posts was telling the OP to spend an extra $900 to get an E6300, over an X2 5000.
Do you think that makes sense?
Since his main purpose was to get a home for his 8800 gfx card, should anyone in his right mind spend the extra $.
November 24, 2006 5:52:43 AM

Putting that gfx card in the Dell will void your warranty anyhow, so do this.
Go to A brick and mortar computer shop (if you have one nearby) or bestbuy. Ask them if they can supply you with a case and psu that will work with your hardware, and how much it will cost. If it sounds reasonable, go for it.
November 24, 2006 6:02:59 AM

Quote:
What determines how many power cables come from the power suppy ? Do I just take this list to a computer store and tell them this is what i want?

I forgot the PSU:
Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL
$54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182017

With the PSU the list is complete, except if you want to add something else to your configuration like better soundcard, TV/FM tuner, WiFi adapter, etc.
You'll have to assemble your configuration by your self. That way you will not give extra $700(or more) to HP, Dell or any other company, for the same hardware.
November 24, 2006 2:05:37 PM

Quote:
What determines how many power cables come from the power suppy ? Do I just take this list to a computer store and tell them this is what i want?

I forgot the PSU:
Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL
$54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182017

With the PSU the list is complete, except if you want to add something else to your configuration like better soundcard, TV/FM tuner, WiFi adapter, etc.
You'll have to assemble your configuration by your self. That way you will not give extra $700(or more) to HP, Dell or any other company, for the same hardware.


Going to a pc store and going to use the same items that were posted and it should come out to around 800 bux since I already have the RAM sound card and Video card. Will post what they tell me.

thanks again :) 
!