E6300 Duo Core vs. AMD 64 x2 5000+ ?

Raven2490

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Which 1 best used for gaming with the nvidia 8800 gtx.

Looking for opinions. Thanks in advance any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Raven2490

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hey thanx again for the replies guys ... the info has been great. I just ordered a E6300 and was trying to get more opinions because I have 24 hrs to cancel my order. They screwed up my AMD 64 x2 by telling me I was going to be able to run the 8800 on that toer but it turned out that the card would not fit because the way the tower and motherboard was set up there wasnt enuff room now I have to return it. Also they did not send me a proper power sully to be able to run the 8800(375) so I now am looking into the E6300 xps 700 for $1925. The AMD cost me 1095.

Does this sound like something u would do?

please post ur opinions and thanks in advance :)

endyen

Splendid
First off, shame on the other posters. For gaming, the X2 5000 is about on par with the 6400. It's 10%+ faster than the 6300, in most games.
Now as to your prices? What do you get with the Intel system to make it worth $900. more ?
If I were you, I would tell the vender that they are in breach of contract, that I was returning the system, and they could return it in a case that supports that gfx card, or return the money.

dlmacline

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I pressume you would overclock right?

Well if you are not into OCing but have the money and between these two I think you should buy 5000+ but with the price of that you can already buy E6400 or maybe e6600 of a newer and superior C2D.

Athlon X2's price/performance starts getting choked by Intel Core 2 starting from their 4200+ sereis and up. I think 3800+ is still a good buy though.. well at least over the PDs..but in the contrary actually I think all amd x2s are still good buys but C2D is just a better option

endyen

Splendid
Funny wasn't it.
Still, in a back handed way, I think he was saying that, if you can get an X2 5000 system for $1000, you will be better off than spending $2000 on an E6300 system. If that was what he was trying to say, he was right.
Mind you, he did buy the Intel system for himself.

kafb

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Which 1 best used for gaming with the nvidia 8800 gtx.

Looking for opinions. Thanks in advance any help will be greatly appreciated :)

:D I buy a PC with C2D E 6300 and, realy it's strong! For testing, i play Doom III at full settings and it's work very well. It's the at this prices!

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
superpifo1.jpg

sandrauk3.jpg

2sandrazz0.jpg

aquamarkov1.jpg

The 5000 will need at least 4.2GHz to beat this.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Shut it fanpoi

I dont know guys. THG oc'd a X2 3600+ 256k x 2 (dual sempron) and it smoked the E6300 and the 5000+.
I think if you overclock both chips, the 5000+ would burn the E6300. However because of supply shortages, the AMD chips have not yet dropped to a comparable price level. The C2D is a better buy, but it will not wow you. I've built a couple E6300 systems and was abit underwhelmed.

You are joking right?
The 5000+ is twice the price anyway.
And an OC'd E6300 eats it alive.

And will you AMD Fans stop going on about OC'ing your x2's. Yes they used to OC well, but now the new OC mark has been set by core2. People are getting 100% Oc's from E6600's. A 3ghz OC from 1.8 is pretty much expected as a standard OC for an E6300.

Get over it, AMD can't match the headroom C2D has.

Still, in a back handed way, I think he was saying that, if you can get an X2 5000 system for $1000, you will be better off than spending $2000 on an E6300 system. If that was what he was trying to say, he was right.

I don't think that is the case though. If the OP Would provide links to both the systems that would help.
I can't see a $1000 system having a 8800 GTX :|
The posts are very unclear, and a $1000 vs $2000 system obviously has some huge differences.
People replying were under the assumption that the person was building his own system and not buying an XPS.
Can you even get an XPS for $1000? Sounds awful cheap to me.

If you are saying that there are a lot of jokers doing benchies out there, I'll agree.
Reputable sites like gamepc and Tom's still exist.

Fair enough, AMD wins the iTunes bench. Rememeber though an E6300 can hit the speed of an E6700 with a simple easy no risk overclock.
It can quite easily go beyond that too.

Raven2490

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I was actually trying to buy 1 from Dell but they screwed up. Even if I had been able to fit the 8800 in the chasis the power supply they sent was only 375 watts so either way it wasn't gonna work out .. I then ordered a XPS 700 E6300 but I thought that having to spend an addional 950 bux just cuz they lied to me wasn't worth it. The total for the pc including the 8800(which I still have) was goingto come out to 2800 bux instead of 1850 for the AMD, I decided not to give DELL any of my money ever again unless they give me a discount for screwing me up. I've had this pc here since Monday and never got to turn it on.

thanx every 1 for the replies and information and in advance for any opinions on where to go buy another system. :)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Shut it fanpoi

I dont know guys. THG oc'd a X2 3600+ 256k x 2 (dual sempron) and it smoked the E6300 and the 5000+.
I think if you overclock both chips, the 5000+ would burn the E6300. However because of supply shortages, the AMD chips have not yet dropped to a comparable price level. The C2D is a better buy, but it will not wow you. I've built a couple E6300 systems and was abit underwhelmed.

You are joking right?
The 5000+ is twice the price anyway.
And an OC'd E6300 eats it alive.

And will you AMD Fans stop going on about OC'ing your x2's. Yes they used to OC well, but now the new OC mark has been set by core2. People are getting 100% Oc's from E6600's. A 3ghz OC from 1.8 is pretty much expected as a standard OC for an E6300.

Get over it, AMD can't match the headroom C2D has.

I don't think that is the case though. If the OP Would provide links to both the systems that would help.
I can't see a $1000 system having a 8800 GTX :|
The posts are very unclear, and a $1000 vs $2000 system obviously has some huge differences.
People replying were under the assumption that the person was building his own system and not buying an XPS.
Can you even get an XPS for $1000? Sounds awful cheap to me.

If you are saying that there are a lot of jokers doing benchies out there, I'll agree.
Reputable sites like gamepc and Tom's still exist.

Fair enough, AMD wins the iTunes bench. Rememeber though an E6300 can hit the speed of an E6700 with a simple easy no risk overclock.
It can quite easily go beyond that too.

The problem with Core 2s headroom is that there are truly diminishing returns as you go higher price. If you can get 2.93 from an E6300, why buy an X6800.

With AMD they are better suited to differentiation. As people ar efond of saying most consumers only see price. They won't care if the Core 2 is faster if they only have $800 to spend. I was in a PC store earlier this week and AMD is undercutting Intel at every price/perf point.

The most popular chip I saw was the 4200+ with 2GB RAM. It was 5 out of 10 floor models.

From the OP there is NO way I would pay $900 more for an E6300 system over a 5000+.

Raven2490

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I'm looking for mostly gaming.

I was looking at the HP website I u can get a E6600 for under 1300 now my question is, y is the HP C2D 700 bux cheaper than the Dell?

Please post any opinions about it ... thanks in advance u guys r really helping me out :)

I'm not really sure, there are numerous factor which could lead to cheaper prices from vendor to vendor, not limited to cheaper or inferior parts, or plain old competition. :?
Build your own and get a better deal though.
Jack? Any idea's?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The problem with Core 2s headroom is that there are truly diminishing returns as you go higher price. If you can get 2.93 from an E6300, why buy an X6800.

With AMD they are better suited to differentiation. As people ar efond of saying most consumers only see price. They won't care if the Core 2 is faster if they only have $800 to spend. I was in a PC store earlier this week and AMD is undercutting Intel at every price/perf point.

The most popular chip I saw was the 4200+ with 2GB RAM. It was 5 out of 10 floor models.

From the OP there is NO way I would pay $900 more for an E6300 system over a 5000+.

God you talk rubbish.

Firstly the reason for models is marketing. This is how a company makes money. You should know about this AMD Are good at it, especially with that 4x4 crap you constantly defend.

It would be nice if intel released the E6300 with a 3.0ghz stock speed, it's obvious they could, but AMD should count their lucky stars Intel hasn't. Although its most likely a decision intel made anyway, since they probably don't want to be over competitive.

x3800's can be clocked to the same speed as 5000's Why buy those. Why have more than 1 model? Why do anything.

As for your last point, you dont even know what is in the E6300 system for a start. That extra money is certainly not a cpu charge.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

God you talk rubbish.

Firstly the reason for models is marketing. This is how a company makes money. You should know about this AMD Are good at it, especially with that 4x4 crap you constantly defend.

It would be nice if intel released the E6300 with a 3.0ghz stock speed, it's obvious they could, but AMD should count their lucky stars Intel hasn't. Although its most likely a decision intel made anyway, since they probably don't want to be over competitive.

x3800's can be clocked to the same speed as 5000's Why buy those. Why have more than 1 model? Why do anything.

As for your last point, you dont even know what is in the E6300 system for a start. That extra money is certainly not a cpu charge.

Enthusiast OC. Regular buyers don't. I actually don't. I did turn my HT up to 210 but that's it. I don't defend QFX any more than any other good system. It's still two sockets without ECC.

I would recommend C2Q for those who are interested in quad. I would recommend QFX for those interested in 2 sockets without ECC and server level construction.

I still wouldn't pay $900 more for E6300 over 5000+.

Raven2490

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I really don't knoiw much about overclocking and I doubt I'll be doing that .. I want to be able to just slide in this 8800 have it fit, have it have the proper power cords and just start using it. The HP I bought from Circuit city the case was so small I cut my hands just installing the memory and it didnt have the power cords for the video card thats y I went to dell and then of course we know what happened after that. Looks like many won't pay the extra 900 for a dell E6300 over the amd 5000+ ... but looking at the HP site it seems that they pretty much match the price of the AMD 64 x2 5000 with their E6600.

Please keep the opinions coming .. I'm really learning as I go by reading what u guys r posting.

Thanks again and in advance :)

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Well first you need to understand what you are doing.
The factor in your decision is not the processor. It's the size of the case.
Have you bought the 8800 yet?

You don't seem like you are confident with taking computers apart. I'd advise you try and buy a system with the graphics card already as standard.
Or try and find a local store that will be happy to build a custom machine for you at a similar price.

Could you also link the systems you are talking about.
I'm looking on the dell site and can't even see any AMD systems :|

Raven2490

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Well first you need to understand what you are doing.
The factor in your decision is not the processor. It's the size of the case.
Have you bought the 8800 yet?

You don't seem like you are confident with taking computers apart. I'd advise you try and buy a system with the graphics card already as standard.
Or try and find a local store that will be happy to build a custom machine for you at a similar price.

Could you also link the systems you are talking about.
I'm looking on the dell site and can't even see any AMD systems :|

Well I really have no problem doing minor stuff inside the pc like changing Video cards, adding ram etc.

these r the 1's I'm looking at HP http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=desktops&a1=Usage&v1=Multimedia+and+gaming&page=compare#a

Can I have 1 built with these same specs for lower price? .. I dont need a monitor and other stuff I have a 24 " flat already and I also have the 8800 gtx card just waiting to be installed.

thx for the reply :)

k77316

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Lol

Do you AMD fanbois really think that $900 difference is because of a processor costing under $200 compared to a processor costing over twice the amount. Hmmm could it be that the systems are different???

I have always bought AMD but ATM it seems utterly stupid to buy something else than C2D in the price category of around $200 or more.

If you really think that buying a similary priced AMD processor over Intel is better bang for the buck you are denying the facts.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
First off, shame on the other posters. For gaming, the X2 5000 is about on par with the 6400. It's 10%+ faster than the 6300, in most games.
Now as to your prices? What do you get with the Intel system to make it worth $900. more ?
If I were you, I would tell the vender that they are in breach of contract, that I was returning the system, and they could return it in a case that supports that gfx card, or return the money.

Endyen, untrue:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=9
http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-15/intel-core-2-duo-test.html
http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-15/intel-core-2-duo-test.html
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core2duo_e6400/10.html
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core2duo_e6400/11.html

In the benchmarks you've quoted from Anandtech, C2D wins in only one game.
I don't bother with those other sites, Anandtech at the moment is one of the very few which i consider reputable (together with Ars Technica, and to a MUCH lesser degree Tom's HW (at least in the last 2 or 3 years); too bad that Aceshardware is pretty much dead).
However the margin is small, and if you're gonna overclock, the X2s don't stand a chance, i don't think you can push it more than 3GHz, and an E6300 @ 2.67 or more simply smokes it, and it can go far higher than that.
Not to mention that the E6300 is cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS