2 x ATI 1950xtx, catalyst 6.11, & D975xbx BIG PROBLEMS

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Anyone else having problems with this combination?

I just installed a 2nd x1950 (after installing catalyst 6.11 a couple of days ago) and was able to boot once. At that point, Windows popped up a screen that said it installed some new software and I had to reboot again. I assume it was trying to enable the 2nd x1950. Now when I try to reboot it just hangs in POST with no beeps or any other indication of failure (and my monitor never gets a video signal).

Anyone know how to reset the x1950 flash bios to its original state? I am suspecting that it is the new feature in 6.11 that enables the non-dongle crossfire ability (or AMD is purposely killing the Intel MB).

There is another thread in General Homebuilt with almost the same system and exactly the same problem I ran into...

Joe

Editied to add video card Mfr and type...

ghostmann

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
i have almost the same system. Make sure you have the right card in the master slot and use the special cable they provided. I've had mine setup now for 4 weeks no problems yet except not sure if its v-card but when bf2142 after 5 min playing online server always boots me out. Anyways you might see if you have a large enough power supply mim 550watts for crossfire and a name brand. sounds like you dont have enough juice. I would and go back and see if one card works first. btw I'm using driver 6.11. No problems!!

SPECS:
intel 975x badaxe board
E6600
2 gigs crucial ballastix ddr2 800
x1950xtx crossfire mode
(2) 74 gig raptor drives in raid 0
audigy 2zs
antec neo he 550watt PSU

Ghostmann

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I should have the juice... Thermaltake ToughPower 750W, it is supposed to be Crossfire qualified...

The only thing I haven't tried is the dongle - I thought 6.11 was supposed to allow me to just plug an additonal x1950xtx in and use it like the 'pro.

Before I posted my first msg here, I did remove the 2nd card, no luck - no luck using the new card by itself either - That is why I think they were reflashed when I added the second card - I would hate to think they both got burned, just plugging them into the two x16 PCI-e slots...

Just filed a 'ticket' at the ATI site. I was hoping someone here might have a solution.

Thanks,
Joe

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Im kinda lost here did you flash your cards bios? if its not coming up at post i dont see the driver being a problem. Now if it hangs when windows is loading i could see it.

redshifted

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Exact same prob here. It appears that the driver has ruined my card (i had 1 1950CF and a x1900xt in xfire, which worked well: 10k and over in 3dM06), now I just have the x1900xt :( DAMN YOU ATI and/or GECUBE!!

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
The initial release notes for catalyst 6.11 claimed to internally suport crossfire on x1900 series cards, not just the x1950 pro cards. It also claimed that I could do Crossfire on two standard x1900 series cards, no longer needing the special one. This is what I attempted to do. I have the original documentation on my compter (if I can ever get to it again). Since that time, ATI-AMD has done the cover-up thing and removed all references to these features from their web-site and release notes.

My computer came up initially, Windows installed some new code (I think it reburned the card's flash), and upon reboot neither card woked (I only hope id didn't screw up my Intel PCI-e buss or me, Newegg, and AMD are not done yet).

I think in the process of trying to support this feature, they reflashed the cards embedded software trying to enable the new internal features (including the NEW amd support that didn't exist until 6.11).

Unfortunately for me and now it appears several others, we all have boat-anchors instead of screaming $5000 computers.

I opened a ticket with ATI-AMD support and have just been getting run-around form emails telling me that I need a crossfire certified system and special OS support blah blah blah - NOTHING focused on pre-post issues, 3 so far. No one was actually reading my email! They did tell me as a last resort to try my card in another chassis - I only have 1, the rest are notebooks on the gigabit lan.

This morning I did get a definitive statement from ATI-AMD that completely refutes the original 6.11 release notes -

We have responded to your issue.

Solution: With an X1950XTX card you need an X1950 Crossfire Edition card, 2 X1950XTX cards are not a supported Crossfire configuration.

I am returning my second x1950xtx to Newegg (GREAT COMPANY) for full credit (DOA) and exchanging my original for a replacement. This was ATI-AMD's final solution to the problem.

I give up on Crossfire and proably ATI-AMD for future projects. It will depend on how long it takes to get my boat-anchor running again.

Joe

redshifted

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Well, no such luck for me, theres no newegg in australia, and my card came from the computer fair - renowned for dodgey service, but cheap..... I posted a ticket as well, but my cards "graphics by ati" not built by ati (which infact it is), and therefore I have to contact gecube, but whats the bet they have never heard of me, nor will they accept my handwriting on a generic reciept book proof of purchase.

I'm going over the card with a multimeter trying to find a blown component / fused track / failed component to see if I can fix it, there are numerous test points on the pcb, but I will most probably need some schematics to have a chance :(

The annoying thing is the green light comes on, the two red led's just flash for an instant, so the error led doesn't remain steady on or anything ><

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I've got to say that we need to kinda start a stink here... I have just tried a new x1300 card with no success. I then tried a cheapo PCI, plain-jane video card (which should have worked with anything, but same results) however, I'm going to keep the CHEAP PCI card but probably zing COMPCITY, to take back the x1300 (it's good and someone will get a really good open-box deal....

The bottom-line is that the catalyst 6.11 release fried my Intel D975XBX MB (several post with the same problem) and has probably done the same to yours.

I have just ripped out my MB. A task I really didn't want to do as the MB was working very good and WELL connected to my chassis with LOTS of screws and LOTS of other connections and it was VERY painful to pull everything apart and PUT all of the ATI-caused damaged items in boxes and tomorrow pay UPS LOTS of money to ship them back (we are talking MANY hours to do this). Also I am now going to sit around for a week or so waiting for ALL of the replacement parts... (God bless Newegg and their return policy!!! :) ).

Also, :evil: from now ATI is totally on my SHIT-list and will be, let me say it as their tech said it in one of the form-type email replies..., "a last resort". ATI own up to your initial screw-up and take care of redshifted and the others in the world that you have screwed with this 6.11 release ... Remember, Sony replaced a few batteries, and you can replace a few MBs.

Oh, and one more thing until I get more feedback from ATI or Newegg... BUMP.

Joe

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Weird...

I ran the drivers perfectly fine with a pair of X1950XTX cards in crossfire.. no problems what so ever.

What mainboard and memory were you running? PSU?

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
This is with 2 X1950XTX cards.

The original Catalyst 6.11 release claimed to support using two x1900 series non-crossfire cards in the same chassis (just as they allow with the x1950 Pro).

Unfortunately for me, they must not have tried this on an Intel D975XBX MB. When I first rebooted mine, it fried the MB. When I went back to the AMD-ATI web-site they had already removed all claims for supporting two x1900 series cards and AMD-ATI support totally took the 'Duh wha' attitude.

Next week, when I finally get my new MB, video card, and can re-access my system I will post the original release notes to this thread for those who didn't see the original release notes.

This may be an AMD imposed stand. Since they (AMD-ATI) are not owning up to their obligations by recognizing their error and making restitution to the few people that took them at their word and have had damaged systems, I am now a totally anti-AMD/ATI guy and will not use any of their products in future endeavors, buyer beware.

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
This is with 2 X1950XTX cards.

The original Catalyst 6.11 release claimed to support using two x1900 series non-crossfire cards in the same chassis (just as they allow with the x1950 Pro).

Unfortunately for me, they must not have tried this on an Intel D975XBX MB. When I first rebooted mine, it fried the MB. When I went back to the AMD-ATI web-site they had already removed all claims for supporting two x1900 series cards and AMD-ATI support totally took the 'Duh wha' attitude.

Next week, when I finally get my new MB, video card, and can re-access my system I will post the original release notes to this thread for those who didn't see the original release notes.

This may be an AMD imposed stand. Since they (AMD-ATI) are not owning up to their obligations by recognizing their error and making restitution to the few people that took them at their word and have had damaged systems, I am now a totally anti-AMD/ATI guy and will not use any of their products in future endeavors, buyer beware.

the x1950 isnt part of the x1900 series.

when the say, 6.11 supports "x1900 series cards" x1950 isnt pat of it.
read the 6.11 notes, they say "x1950 is support now" so they didnt include x1950 as a x1900 series.

what i mean is, do you have a:
ATI Radeon X1950XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 CrossFire Video Card
and
ATI Radeon X1950 CrossFire Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 Video Card

notice the different name placement? 1st one is slave, 2nd is the master.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

read the 6.11 notes, they say "x1950 is support now" so they didnt include x1950 as a x1900 series.

and

Actually, the x1950xtx is part of the x1900 and x1000 series and it was included in the original release notes. The entire statement HAS been purposely removed from AMD-ATI's web-site.

I knew the difference between master and slave cards before I read and trusted AMD-ATI's original release notes.

They no longer support using ANY non-'slave' cards together (other than the x1950 pro) - search their site...

Did you even see the original release documents?

Joe

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

and

Actually, the x1950xtx is part of the x1900 and x1000 series and it was included in the original release notes. The entire statement HAS been purposely removed from AMD-ATI's web-site.

I knew the difference between master and slave cards before I read and trusted AMD-ATI's original release notes.

They no longer support using ANY non-'slave' cards together (other than the x1950) - search their site...

Did you even see the original release documents?

Joe

6.11 notes
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_611_release_notes.html

# Radeon® X1950 series
# Radeon® X1900 series
# Radeon® X1800 series
# Radeon® X1600 series
# Radeon® X1300 series
# Radeon® X850 series
# Radeon® X800 series
# Radeon® X700 series
# Radeon® X600 series
# Radeon® X550 series
# Radeon® X300 series
# Radeon® 9800 series
# Radeon® 9700 series
# Radeon® 9600 series
# Radeon® 9500 series

This release of Catalyst® introduces software CrossFire™ support for any combination of Radeon® X1900 and X1950 installed in a system running either the Windows XP or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition operating system.
Note: Software CrossFire™ is not supported on the Radeon® X1950 Pro product line.

hmmm, huh? now im lost

redshifted

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Hmm well I have isolated the problem to the x1950 CF mastercard, and with it in *any* system it won't post. The x1900xt I was using as slave card (yes this works perfectly - 10K+ in 3dm06) is still fine, although I am pissed about the loss of my x1950 with its enhanced specs, and even more so about the lack of crossfire available to me now.

I have been over the board with a multimetre checking for shorted caps, and/or resistors and looking for fused tracks: One thing I have noticed is that the core is only getting 1.1V (this is when the system is powered up, but in a state of "not-yet-posted"). The Ram is getting the proper voltages however. This makes me think somehow the voltage regulation has gone awry, so I thinking of doing a vmod to the card. As I can't get any warranty for the card, I may as well :(

I wish companies would release technical specs incl wiring diagrams, or at least expected values at the various test-points, so someone with the necessary technical knowledge can fix an out of warranty card, although the reason they don't is obvious (they used to tho!)

Truzzone

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Hi to all,
I have an Intel D975XBX with fresh install of WinXP SP2 and two vga:
First pci-ex slot: PowerColor X1950CF Master Card
Second pci-ex slot: ATi X1950XTX
The two vgas are connected with Crossfire cables.
I Install the Catalyst 6.11 without problems, form System on the Control Panel I see 4 video adapter.
But when I launch the Catalystfrom taskbar or from icon on the desktop, I see the process running on the taskmanager, but I don't see any window of Catalyst.
I uninstall and reinstall after reboot various times, but I haven't the access to the Catalyst Panel for activate the crossfire.
I try XG WarCat 6.11 with the same result :(
Have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Truzzone :(

Truzzone

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Hi to all,
I have an Intel D975XBX with fresh install of WinXP SP2 and two vga:
First pci-ex slot: PowerColor X1950CF Master Card
Second pci-ex slot: ATi X1950XTX
The two vgas are connected with Crossfire cables.
I Install the Catalyst 6.11 without problems, form System on the Control Panel I see 4 video adapter.
But when I launch the Catalystfrom taskbar or from icon on the desktop, I see the process running on the taskmanager, but I don't see any window of Catalyst.
I uninstall and reinstall after reboot various times, but I haven't the access to the Catalyst Panel for activate the crossfire.
I try XG WarCat 6.11 with the same result :(
Have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Truzzone :(

Truzzone

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I have installed .NET Framework 2.0 :wink:
I try to install the Option1, one package for all software and the Option2 with the same result, the catalyst is present on the taskbar, but with two click open one window of catalyst for 1 sec and close it automatically, it's very fast and I don't see what is write.
With right click on the ATi icon of taskbar after 60-80 seconds open the menù but it's impossible to select an items, I always force close from taskmanager.
I read the manual of the crossfire master and I respect all points.
I try various drivers after uninstall-reboot-DriverCleanerPro-reinstall.
I found the only way for open the catalyst advanced: from Start > Programs > CCC > CCC Advanced from this link the catalyst run without problems, I enable crossfire without problems.
But when I play Call Duty 2 (multiplayer) and I near a explosion (of bombs) I see on all screen a alternate big lines, I think is the two cards isn't work in syncronous mode. :(
It's only a my problem, or the crossfire driver support is very poor? :?:

Best regards,

Truzzone