Controlling bandwidth on my Camarade's page...

Kilowatt

Hi everyones. Thanks to read.
I'm using Truetech's webcam software (to stream on ww.com) since more than 3
years. I currently use an old version (2.26 BETA1) of the sofware that is no
longer available on Camarades (ww.com). Since a few months, my ISP enhanced
the upload/download speed so since then, i can upload in the
850kilobits/second...often peaking in the 1.3mbits/second. The results is
that my visitors have amazing refresh rates but this also means that i often
finish by uploading more the 1 Gigabytes each days! My isp doesn't impose
quotas, but the sustained upload speed really slows down my machine (Celeron
1700MHz, 256Mb DDR ram, Win98SE). When there's no visitors on the webcam's
page, or if i only have visitors with a low speed connection, then i don't
upload really much wich results in better performances from my computer.

Under the "configure" option, the webcam program is having a baudrate box
where i can enter a number (in bits per second) to control the bandwidth,
then i click the "update" button. This function doesn't change anything, i
still upload to the maximum that my isp allows me! And if i close the webcam
program, wait a few seconds, then reopen it, the baudrate have reverted back
to "-1" (no limit) half of the time. ww.com now offers a version of this
program (4.00 beta 1) that i've tried yesterday. It doesn't have any options
or settings that the previous version had. Worse, the bandwidth is fixed to
one image every 5~6 seconds wich is a problem that is right the opposite of
uploading too much :-( So to go to the point, is there's anyone here that
uses a version (recent or old) on wich the function to limit the bandwidth
works? I would like to limit it to about 200~300 kilobits/second so my
machine's performances wont slow down, and at the same time my visitor would
have a decent refresh rate. TIA

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

"KILOWATT" <kilowatt"nospam"@softhome.net> wrote in message
< snip >
> I would like to limit it to about 200~300 kilobits/second so my
> machine's performances wont slow down, and at the same time my visitor would
> have a decent refresh rate. TIA

Check out Bandwidth Controller at:
http://www.bandwidthcontroller.com/

-- Bob Day
Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software, now with
adjustable motion sensitivity, at: http://bobday.vze.com.