Need opinions on a new build for gaming, thank you!

plasm1d

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hi all,

I'm trying to assemble a new machine to replace my 4 yo DELL. How's this build for playing games?

My main concern is the motherboard because there are so many options. Of course all comments are appreciated.

Case: ASUS Vento 3600
Cpu: Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
Ram: 1GB DDR2/800 x 2
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Hard drive: 320G 7200 RPM with 16MB cache (x2 for Raid 0 setup)
PSU: Thermaltake 600W
Cooling: Cooler Master R80 Liquid Cooling
Misc: 16x Dual Layer Dvd writer, Creative Labs SB Audigy

Thanks in advance!

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Do you have a budget you're trying to meet? I'm going to assume not if you're getting a $650 vid card so here are some opinions...

Case: the case you chose is not very good, too much plastic that can break, find something from lian li, antec, thermaltake, silverstone and try to get something with as much aluminum as possible.
CPU: ok
MB: ok
Ram: choose good low latency ram: ocz, corsair, mushkin
vid card: ok
hdds: ok
psu: is ok, might try for Silverstone, FSP, OCZ or PC P&C
cooling: please don't get that W/C set, it actually performs worse then high end air cooling. If you want to water cool and you want a set then get one from danger den or swiftech. DO NOT buy one because you think it's cool, they are a hassle, can be dangerous and a good set costs at least $250.

Things NOT to cheap out on: PSU, ram and water cooling.

plasm1d

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
First thank you for the replies.

Yes I do have a budget to meet. It's about 2000.

Assman: I will go with corsair for memory.

Waylander: The high end air cooling system you were talking about...can you make some suggestions? Are air cooling fans going to make alot more noise than a water cooling system?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006