GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I have a new Win XP machine, replacing an older one, trying to use the
same IP address. I can get it connected to the internet by using Assign
IP Address Automatically. It then can't find the printer which is on
another PC on the Network. In the past I've found I had to assign an IP
address in order to find and share the printer (amongst other reasons),
but this time it won't find the printer that way, and it looses it's
connection to the net.

I've gone thru this many times before, replacing or re-setting up a PC
on this same network, and I go thru this every time. I always get it to
work, but can never figure out exactly what I did to fix it. XP seems
to have this little game that needs to be played. Install Windows, go
thru the network setup wizard - connect to net - assign IP which then
finds printer but looses net connection - tweak with it endlessly, try
other addresses, reboot, scream, etc, and eventually it just starts
working.

Is there something I'm missing? I've tried 2 different Network Wizard
options, the only 2 that could apply (can't remember them now, I'm not
at the same network). I just can't get this one working.

Go to add printer, network printer then click browse. just click search and
it will bring up all the printers.
<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I have a new Win XP machine, replacing an older one, trying to use the
> same IP address. I can get it connected to the internet by using Assign
> IP Address Automatically. It then can't find the printer which is on
> another PC on the Network. In the past I've found I had to assign an IP
> address in order to find and share the printer (amongst other reasons),
> but this time it won't find the printer that way, and it looses it's
> connection to the net.
>
> I've gone thru this many times before, replacing or re-setting up a PC
> on this same network, and I go thru this every time. I always get it to
> work, but can never figure out exactly what I did to fix it. XP seems
> to have this little game that needs to be played. Install Windows, go
> thru the network setup wizard - connect to net - assign IP which then
> finds printer but looses net connection - tweak with it endlessly, try
> other addresses, reboot, scream, etc, and eventually it just starts
> working.
>
> Is there something I'm missing? I've tried 2 different Network Wizard
> options, the only 2 that could apply (can't remember them now, I'm not
> at the same network). I just can't get this one working.

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

HI,

If you know the IP address of the PC you want to share the printer with,
just go to start>Run>PC IP address> click on the printer, right click on it,
select connect and there you go. You don`t need to use the printer wizard.
As long as the network printer you want is shared, that works. That is
faster and easier.

Now if the PC keeps loosing its net connection, check the settings on the
NIC or try another NIC. Sometimes the onboard one can be bad, even on a new
machine. It shouldn`t keep connecting and disconnecting, that is more like
a hardware problem.

Jeff

"Timothy Cassels" <TG_Cassels@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Go to add printer, network printer then click browse. just click search
> and
> it will bring up all the printers.
> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>> I have a new Win XP machine, replacing an older one, trying to use the
>> same IP address. I can get it connected to the internet by using Assign
>> IP Address Automatically. It then can't find the printer which is on
>> another PC on the Network. In the past I've found I had to assign an IP
>> address in order to find and share the printer (amongst other reasons),
>> but this time it won't find the printer that way, and it looses it's
>> connection to the net.
>>
>> I've gone thru this many times before, replacing or re-setting up a PC
>> on this same network, and I go thru this every time. I always get it to
>> work, but can never figure out exactly what I did to fix it. XP seems
>> to have this little game that needs to be played. Install Windows, go
>> thru the network setup wizard - connect to net - assign IP which then
>> finds printer but looses net connection - tweak with it endlessly, try
>> other addresses, reboot, scream, etc, and eventually it just starts
>> working.
>>
>> Is there something I'm missing? I've tried 2 different Network Wizard
>> options, the only 2 that could apply (can't remember them now, I'm not
>> at the same network). I just can't get this one working.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

But the problem is when I search for a printer, it can't find it.
Strange, it's set up the same way all the others are, and the same way
that the one it replaced was set up. I don't know what's wrong.
And actually my comments about it having either the printer or the
ineternet was referring to past experiences, it turns out that this
time it can't find the printer either way, and can only get to the net
if I don't assign it a static IP.

Timothy Cassels wrote:
> Go to add printer, network printer then click browse. just click
search and
> it will bring up all the printers.
> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> > I have a new Win XP machine, replacing an older one, trying to use
the
> > same IP address. I can get it connected to the internet by using
Assign
> > IP Address Automatically. It then can't find the printer which is
on
> > another PC on the Network. In the past I've found I had to assign
an IP
> > address in order to find and share the printer (amongst other
reasons),
> > but this time it won't find the printer that way, and it looses
it's
> > connection to the net.
> >
> > I've gone thru this many times before, replacing or re-setting up a
PC
> > on this same network, and I go thru this every time. I always get
it to
> > work, but can never figure out exactly what I did to fix it. XP
seems
> > to have this little game that needs to be played. Install Windows,
go
> > thru the network setup wizard - connect to net - assign IP which
then
> > finds printer but looses net connection - tweak with it endlessly,
try
> > other addresses, reboot, scream, etc, and eventually it just starts
> > working.
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing? I've tried 2 different Network
Wizard
> > options, the only 2 that could apply (can't remember them now, I'm
not
> > at the same network). I just can't get this one working.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I finally got it to work, but once again I have no idea why. I tried
the Add Printer wizard, couldn't find it, went to look at the IP &
network settings, scratched my head and changed nothing, went back to
Add Printer, still nothing, and kept repeating this until one time it
finally did find the printer. I really don't understand computers.

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, was off since 29 Dec. If its having problems
seeing computers on the network, have you tried restarting the browse master
on the server. I had a problem for a while when computers couldn`t see
other computers, unless I refreshed the IP address. Its only a shot in the
dark though. But usually for me when I setup network printers, I don`t
bother with the printer wizard, I just type in the IP address of the
computer or printer then right click on it, select connect, let it do its
thing, then the printer is connected.

Jeff