Identify files

February 27, 2005 5:36:59 PM

I have asked this question before, but not received the answer I need in
order to make any changes. Basically, I want to know what is stored in Main
memory under "Storage" and "Program". I have Resco explorer 2003 which is a
fantastic program, but still does not tell me what is in Storage and
Program. If you go to Setttings>System>Remove Programs, it will tell you
exactly how much space is used by "Programs". What I want to know is how do
I identify these files. The same goes for "Storage", I realise "My
Documents" is included, but mine is virtually empty, but still using 16MB!
Resco also shows the "Windows" folder as :

Type Folder
Location \
Size 65.49MB (68671463 bytes)
Contains 1505 Files, 40 Folders
105.36% 62.2MB

Why is it more than 100 %, even with Sd & CF cards removed ?

The reason I want this info, is to free up onboard memory by using the SD
card for installation of all non essential programs.

My PPC is an Ipaq Hx4700.

Thanks for any info that can help.

John

More about : identify files

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 27, 2005 6:01:14 PM

You remove programs by using the add/remove program applet, or by using
the uninstall option that was put onto your PC's menu otherwise you may
get problems.

(It is possible to do it directly but from your mail I wouldn't
recommend this route for you. Use the designed uninstall route).

"John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
| I have asked this question before, but not received the answer I need
in
| order to make any changes. Basically, I want to know what is stored
in Main
| memory under "Storage" and "Program". I have Resco explorer 2003
which is a
| fantastic program, but still does not tell me what is in Storage and
| Program. If you go to Setttings>System>Remove Programs, it will tell
you
| exactly how much space is used by "Programs". What I want to know is
how do
| I identify these files. The same goes for "Storage", I realise "My
| Documents" is included, but mine is virtually empty, but still using
16MB!
| Resco also shows the "Windows" folder as :
|
| Type Folder
| Location \
| Size 65.49MB (68671463 bytes)
| Contains 1505 Files, 40 Folders
| 105.36% 62.2MB
|
| Why is it more than 100 %, even with Sd & CF cards removed ?
|
| The reason I want this info, is to free up onboard memory by using
the SD
| card for installation of all non essential programs.
|
| My PPC is an Ipaq Hx4700.
|
| Thanks for any info that can help.
|
| John

February 27, 2005 7:58:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I know how to remove them, what I want to be able
to do is find all the files using the Main memory.

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> You remove programs by using the add/remove program applet, or by using
> the uninstall option that was put onto your PC's menu otherwise you may
> get problems.
>
> (It is possible to do it directly but from your mail I wouldn't
> recommend this route for you. Use the designed uninstall route).
>

> "John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
> | I have asked this question before, but not received the answer I need
> in
> | order to make any changes. Basically, I want to know what is stored
> in Main
> | memory under "Storage" and "Program". I have Resco explorer 2003
> which is a
> | fantastic program, but still does not tell me what is in Storage and
> | Program. If you go to Setttings>System>Remove Programs, it will tell
> you
> | exactly how much space is used by "Programs". What I want to know is
> how do
> | I identify these files. The same goes for "Storage", I realise "My
> | Documents" is included, but mine is virtually empty, but still using
> 16MB!
> | Resco also shows the "Windows" folder as :
> |
> | Type Folder
> | Location \
> | Size 65.49MB (68671463 bytes)
> | Contains 1505 Files, 40 Folders
> | 105.36% 62.2MB
> |
> | Why is it more than 100 %, even with Sd & CF cards removed ?
> |
> | The reason I want this info, is to free up onboard memory by using
> the SD
> | card for installation of all non essential programs.
> |
> | My PPC is an Ipaq Hx4700.
> |
> | Thanks for any info that can help.
> |
> | John

a b G Storage
February 27, 2005 8:36:50 PM

What 'changes' are you intending to make? You may not just be able to
move files. You should uninstall the programs then reinstall on your
storage card as registry entries may be affected.

In Resco change the option so you can see hidden files if needed. The
standard file explorer doesn't allow this. Remember that you won't see
the standard applications, they are in z: (ROM).

Just back up your machine before messing around.

"John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:p _mUd.3856$dy3.622@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
| Thanks for the reply, but I know how to remove them, what I want to
be able
| to do is find all the files using the Main memory.
|
| "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| > You remove programs by using the add/remove program applet, or by
using
| > the uninstall option that was put onto your PC's menu otherwise you
may
| > get problems.
| >
| > (It is possible to do it directly but from your mail I wouldn't
| > recommend this route for you. Use the designed uninstall route).
| >

| > "John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
| > | I have asked this question before, but not received the answer I
need
| > in
| > | order to make any changes. Basically, I want to know what is
stored
| > in Main
| > | memory under "Storage" and "Program". I have Resco explorer 2003
| > which is a
| > | fantastic program, but still does not tell me what is in Storage
and
| > | Program. If you go to Setttings>System>Remove Programs, it will
tell
| > you
| > | exactly how much space is used by "Programs". What I want to
know is
| > how do
| > | I identify these files. The same goes for "Storage", I realise
"My
| > | Documents" is included, but mine is virtually empty, but still
using
| > 16MB!
| > | Resco also shows the "Windows" folder as :
| > |
| > | Type Folder
| > | Location \
| > | Size 65.49MB (68671463 bytes)
| > | Contains 1505 Files, 40 Folders
| > | 105.36% 62.2MB
| > |
| > | Why is it more than 100 %, even with Sd & CF cards removed ?
| > |
| > | The reason I want this info, is to free up onboard memory by
using
| > the SD
| > | card for installation of all non essential programs.
| > |
| > | My PPC is an Ipaq Hx4700.
| > |
| > | Thanks for any info that can help.
| > |
| > | John
| > |
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 28, 2005 1:14:42 AM

Your PDA has some amount of RAM and ROM. RAM abstractedly divided on Storage
and Program.
Windows can change this ratio in any time, so if you will change it manually
in Setting->Memory it will be changed again by Windows later.
Storage is used as file storage. All directories are there, except Flash
Disk(or Internal Disk or something else as named by PDA Manufacturer) and
directories like SD Card or/and CF Card (also canbe different). ROM is used
as nonchangeable part of Storage too so actually size of all files in
Storage can be much more than size of its RAM part. Because Resco Explorer
counts that percentage TotalFilesSize/SizeofRAMpartStorage it canbe more
than 100%

"John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
> I have asked this question before, but not received the answer I need in
> order to make any changes. Basically, I want to know what is stored in
Main
> memory under "Storage" and "Program". I have Resco explorer 2003 which is
> fantastic program, but still does not tell me what is in Storage and
> Program. If you go to Setttings>System>Remove Programs, it will tell you
> exactly how much space is used by "Programs". What I want to know is how
do
> I identify these files. The same goes for "Storage", I realise "My
> Documents" is included, but mine is virtually empty, but still using 16MB!
> Resco also shows the "Windows" folder as :
>
> Type Folder
> Location \
> Size 65.49MB (68671463 bytes)
> Contains 1505 Files, 40 Folders
> 105.36% 62.2MB
>
> Why is it more than 100 %, even with Sd & CF cards removed ?
>
> The reason I want this info, is to free up onboard memory by using the SD
> card for installation of all non essential programs.
>
> My PPC is an Ipaq Hx4700.
>
> Thanks for any info that can help.
>
> John

February 28, 2005 1:14:43 AM

I know I have 62MB for "Storage" & "Program", I also have 128MB rom of which
85MB is available for my use (Ipaq file store). I really want to be able to
see what files are in the 62MB. Is there some sort of utility that will list
the usage. As I mentioned in the first thread, the "Remove Programs" knows
exactly what is used, so it must know exactly what is there! I hope this is
a bit clearer.

John

"Amirov Zakhar" <amirov@tric.ru> wrote in message
> Your PDA has some amount of RAM and ROM. RAM abstractedly divided on
> Storage
> and Program.
> Windows can change this ratio in any time, so if you will change it
> manually
> in Setting->Memory it will be changed again by Windows later.
> Storage is used as file storage. All directories are there, except Flash
> Disk(or Internal Disk or something else as named by PDA Manufacturer) and
> directories like SD Card or/and CF Card (also canbe different). ROM is
> used
> as nonchangeable part of Storage too so actually size of all files in
> Storage can be much more than size of its RAM part. Because Resco Explorer
> counts that percentage TotalFilesSize/SizeofRAMpartStorage it canbe more
> than 100%
>
> "John" <spam@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> I have asked this question before, but not received the answer I need in
>> order to make any changes. Basically, I want to know what is stored in
> Main
>> memory under "Storage" and "Program". I have Resco explorer 2003 which
>> is
>> fantastic program, but still does not tell me what is in Storage and
>> Program. If you go to Setttings>System>Remove Programs, it will tell you
>> exactly how much space is used by "Programs". What I want to know is how
> do
>> I identify these files. The same goes for "Storage", I realise "My
>> Documents" is included, but mine is virtually empty, but still using
>> 16MB!
>> Resco also shows the "Windows" folder as :
>>
>> Type Folder
>> Location \
>> Size 65.49MB (68671463 bytes)
>> Contains 1505 Files, 40 Folders
>> 105.36% 62.2MB
>>
>> Why is it more than 100 %, even with Sd & CF cards removed ?
>>
>> The reason I want this info, is to free up onboard memory by using the SD
>> card for installation of all non essential programs.
>>
>> My PPC is an Ipaq Hx4700.
>>
>> Thanks for any info that can help.
>>
>> John

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 28, 2005 1:14:44 AM

it's the confusing verbage used there

programs = amount of total ram available/used for _running_ programs

storage = amount of total ram available/used for storage (including
storing the executables located in ram)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 28, 2005 2:24:32 AM

You can find it in ActiveSync->Tools->Add/Remove programs.
But not always.

Remove Programs not always knows about what is installed.
Some programs install wrong way and they canbe absent in that list.
Some programs can uninstall not fully.

The only way is to find manually.
Look into Program Files at first, then find any directories that are
redundant, then look for files with names connected with some uninstalled
program. Actually it's not easy. Sometime easier to copy all you need to PC
or flash card, make HardReset and install all REALLY needed programs again.

!