Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Tom's Guide News - Moderators Not Doing Their Jobs

Last response: in Site Feedback
Anonymous
April 21, 2010 2:55:52 PM

Recently, everyone here was warned to clean up their act in regards to posting comments to the
News Article Postings for Tom's Hardware and I assume Tom's Guide too.

Not only has everyone been warned, you have reminded us several times to clean up our act or offenders would be banned.

But lately it seems that with Tom's Guide, there has been more and more Uncalled for remarks being posted in the Comments.

SWEARING!

The "F" word (copulate), the "B" word (female dog), "B" word again, (illegitimate son) and other swears.

There has even been some Sick comments that only a sexual predator would make.

Here I thought that these sites are supposed to be both Family and Work Friendly.

Yet when you use the Moderator Alert on any of the Tom's Guide News Article comments, then you check back later in the day or even a day or two later, the comments you reported are still there, untouched with no moderation what so ever.

Yet when you report a comment posted to a Tom's Hardware News Article, it usually does get taken care of with no problem.

So I don't know if this is just failure on the Moderators part or if something else is going on here.
April 21, 2010 3:08:04 PM

We can't moderate Tom's Guide, I don't know why. The authors should be able to though. Ok, well I know Tuan can :p 

I've raised the issue with r_manic but as yet I am still unable to do anything.
Anonymous
April 21, 2010 3:33:24 PM

Thanks for the response :) 

Thanks why I had included or if something else is going on here

For awhile now, even though we're supposed to be able to click on the link to read the comments in the forums so we can edit our own comments, in Tom's Guide I've found that the edit button has been missing.
Related resources
April 21, 2010 7:26:52 PM

randomizer said:
We can't moderate Tom's Guide, I don't know why. The authors should be able to though. Ok, well I know Tuan can :p 

I've raised the issue with r_manic but as yet I am still unable to do anything.

Good to know.

The Admins/Web devs of this site really need to pull their cr@p together. A few weeks a go, it was re-directed links, now it's problems with submitting comments.
April 22, 2010 12:39:07 AM

This site is huge. Could you show me a typical page where there are comments?
Anonymous
April 22, 2010 1:18:08 AM

Well here's a couple. Couldn't remember all the one's I had seen swears in, but these still have some noticeable swears in them which could get the site banned from "some" schools and work places.

Some of them are Hidden because of negative ratings, but have been quoted.
In both cases, the swears are still there. Other swears are out in the open.

Thieves Steal iPad Along With Man's Finger

School Took Thousands of Private Pics of Students

This next one you can plainly see several members putting Tom's Editorial Staff down with their comments and you can see from a few of the hidden posts negative ratings that they were negatively rated for no reason what so ever other than Trolling or Possible dislike of a member.

A Flash Drive Adidas Won't Sell to You
April 22, 2010 1:45:35 AM

Quote:
For awhile now, even though we're supposed to be able to click on the link to read the comments in the forums so we can edit our own comments, in Tom's Guide I've found that the edit button has been missing.

That's always been the case. Regular members have never been able to edit posts on Tom's Guide Forum.
Anonymous
April 22, 2010 2:26:19 AM

But in this case I'm a member of Both Forums.

Although that was a secondary issue brought up after the fact in this thread. :) 
April 22, 2010 2:50:07 AM

As am I, but I still can't edit my own posts.
April 22, 2010 2:50:35 AM

I get so many tech newsletters that I've never read the articles on this one.
April 22, 2010 4:50:09 AM

There are still offensive posts in this forum that haven't been removed.
April 22, 2010 9:24:49 AM

Then why haven't you reported them?
April 22, 2010 5:10:07 PM

I have.
April 25, 2010 3:20:02 AM

who even reads on the guide? other than a portal from the tomshardware site?
Anonymous
April 25, 2010 10:28:24 PM

I may be at fault here as I was recently asked to Moderate on Articles but have been a bit distracted by technical problems (now at least seemingly solved) and I'm a bit useless at finding my way around and using the Moderator tools as I'm new to it.

I've just had a bash at some of the discussions and discovered a few instances of bad language (well not that bad by the standards common in the UK). The process for deleting the posts seems quite unwieldy but I will plough through some more.
Anonymous
April 25, 2010 11:09:28 PM

Here in the USA, they say that there is supposed to be a separation between church and state (government), but the law and the people have been influence big time by the church as reflected by the censorship laws and other stuff. There is a little too much freedom here in that one generation doesn't like something that others are doing, so they vote laws into being to prevent such a thing. Then the next generation does the same thing and it's a never ending vicious cycle.

It's like everyone here in the USA is minding everyone Else's business constantly.

But yeah, to keep businesses and schools in the USA from blocking this site with their filtering software, the language needs to be kept clean according to USA standards.

Not that it matters much to me.
Bloody Hell! I love watching Chef Ramsey and I don't so much mean the American versions either! :D 
April 26, 2010 12:32:18 AM

The problem is, we can't moderate on Tom's Guide.
Anonymous
April 26, 2010 12:39:22 AM

Then might I suggest a word filter be put in place for use on Tom's Guide and see how that goes until such time as the problem is fixed?
April 26, 2010 12:43:05 AM

That's a good suggestion. There is a language filter for TH, but I'm not sure if it applies to TG or not.
Anonymous
April 26, 2010 12:51:03 AM

But can the filter be applied to the News Article Comments?
April 26, 2010 12:55:34 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but it's something that can be brought to the admin/Dev team's attention.
April 26, 2010 1:54:19 AM

Language filters don't work for the comments. Else we'd have less deleting to do.
April 26, 2010 2:12:57 AM

It's obviously not working right now, but could it be applied to the news/articles sections?
April 26, 2010 2:14:12 AM

I have no idea why it doesn't work, the comments are posted in the forum just like we are now. For some reason the automated posting circumvents the usual process of passing the post through a language filter. I also know that it used to work, because a site that was being spammed got filtered out for a time.

EDIT: Maybe the language filter isn't working here either? Didn't think to check.

EDIT2: Yep, it's working. I saw a reported spam post where the "author" did not realise their site has already been asterisked out :p 
April 26, 2010 2:25:09 AM

Seems like something that could also be applied to the news/articles sections.
April 26, 2010 2:40:21 AM

That's my point, it used to be. But now it's not.
April 26, 2010 5:48:28 AM

I hope BoM can see this.
Anonymous
April 26, 2010 8:18:50 AM

I had a browse in Tom's Guide News section (an area I'd never seen before following Renegade Warrior's link) and all I could do was hide items with bad language Or report them to Moderators. Then checked Moderator alerts and nothing listed there.

So maybe not so Mea Culpa after all.
April 26, 2010 8:21:43 AM

The only way I can moderate Tom's Guide (and I practically nuked one article's comment section today due to the bile there) is by "borrowing" an account which is able to moderate there already.
April 26, 2010 8:31:40 AM

That can't be legal...
April 26, 2010 9:31:52 AM

Of course it is, I was given permission ;) 
April 26, 2010 2:46:42 PM

Hrm. Thought I fixed that.

I know for a long time, the article commentary under both Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide was "no man's land" in terms of moderation. Will have to wrangle privs for universal coverage again. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Anonymous
April 26, 2010 3:22:15 PM

Thank You.

It's like there's different groups of people who tend to forget that they are only Member's here and that Tom's is not their Personal Playground to act as they please.

There appears to be different groups in action here
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your no regards for others, swearing group.

Your Anti Mac/PC flame war group

Your Bash Tom's Editors Group

Your anyone you don't like or disagree with Negative Rating group
April 26, 2010 4:46:28 PM

randomizer said:
The only way I can moderate Tom's Guide (and I practically nuked one article's comment section today due to the bile there) is by "borrowing" an account which is able to moderate there already.

Is that what you do when you don't want to be the bad guy? Use this other account to correct the situation... No wonder 4ryan6 is getting all the bad heat... it is really you doing it under his account!! :lol:  :pt1cable: 

:kaola:  Just joking around... nothing serious!! :kaola: 

I highly respect both you and 4ryan6 as moderators!
April 26, 2010 10:03:56 PM

aford10 said:
That's a good suggestion. There is a language filter for TH, but I'm not sure if it applies to TG or not.

Wait... what language filter?!?!?!?
April 26, 2010 11:48:12 PM

Quote:

It's like there's different groups of people who tend to forget that they are only Member's here and that Tom's is not their Personal Playground to act as they please.

Renegade--Didn't you tell us that you thought censorship was being influenced by religion? Now you approve of some censorship? Do you think there might be a universally agreed standard of civil behavior apart from religion?

I belong to about 10 computer forums, and I have to say, the problem with unacceptable behavior is minimal or nonexistent at all the others. There's something wrong here. I'll let you guys figure it out.
Anonymous
April 27, 2010 12:31:24 AM

The only censorship I'm for basically is that of foul language which could cause businesses and/or schools to block a site as undesirable because of said language.

Usually when a site is blocked, you literally have to try and convince the administrator that the site is worth their while to unblock and they are not always willing to listen to reason.

As for the Negative Rating Group, I'd just like to see people held accountable for their actions. That is to say, someone could hover their mouse over the rating and see who rated plus or minus for said comment. I think that way, people would be less likely to just click the negative rating button for no other reason than to be a jerk.

There are legitimate reasons for using the negative rating button, but plenty of times, I see it abused.
April 27, 2010 12:35:38 AM

Quote:
The only censorship I'm for basically is that of foul language which could cause businesses and/or schools to block a site as undesirable because of said language.

I'm sure any one reading the Forums can use a proxy....
UltraSurf/Tor,etc FTW!
Anonymous
April 27, 2010 12:44:19 AM

greywolf,

I just noticed your mention of no problem in the forum, this isn't about the forums or about the 10 other forums you spoke of.

It's about the Posting behavior of Members when they post comments in the News Section which is entirely separate from the forums, but can still be accessed through the forums.

But Most important....

This started out about the Tom's Guide News Articles not being Moderated.

In other words, things were getting out of control and now we know why. It seems that the moderator controls somehow became broken on Tom's Guide if you read up a few posts.

greywolf,

If there was no problem here, then why is it that everyone here at Tom's Hardware was warned several times to clean up their act when it comes to posting comments in the News section?

April 27, 2010 12:47:25 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Wait... what language filter?!?!?!?

There is a filter on the forum that can block certain words or phrases.
April 27, 2010 3:04:35 AM

Or competing websites :lol: 

Just kidding, there was a real reason for it.
April 27, 2010 4:04:44 AM

Quote:
greywolf,
greywolf,

If there was no problem here, then why is it that everyone here at Tom's Hardware was warned several times to clean up their act when it comes to posting comments in the News section?

Read again, I didn't say there was no problem here. I said there are very few problems on the OTHER forums I belong to. But if you want to confine this discussion just to the articles, I'll butt out, as I haven't been reading them.
Anonymous
April 27, 2010 12:07:00 PM

No need graywolf,

Just that you could have chosen to word your reply with a bit more tact.

As for my saying Religion, Yes religion does play a big part whether most people realize it or not, many people are influenced by it as it is part of our cultural upbringing here in the USA.

And what I was saying earlier about vicious cycle, the word I failed to use is from one Generation to the next Generation as I couldn't remember that particular word yesturday.

And yes, other forums do have their own problems, it just depends on how well that they are setup and moderated for how well they are run. The worst thing I have seen at many forums is the Cliques which tend to form, acting as if they own the place and I have seen plenty of them in the time I'm been online.

There is close to about 30 forums that I am registered to under various aliases. Some I frequent more often than others. Others I visit when I need to find some specify information.

I've even run my own WildCat BBS back in the mid 90's which is a precursor to the online forums.
April 27, 2010 2:02:52 PM

aford10 said:
There is a filter on the forum that can block certain words or phrases.

Ahh... ie. links to X CPU,etc?
April 27, 2010 2:10:04 PM

That is supposed to be off the list but yes, that's what it is. It's used a fair bit for spam now too. You'll often see the commonly spammed sites show up as asterisks instead, and the spammers simply haven't realised it yet.
April 27, 2010 4:12:41 PM

Quote:

There is close to about 30 forums that I am registered to under various aliases. Some I frequent more often than others. Others I visit when I need to find some specify information.

My words were chosen very carefully, and as I'm a poor typist, I revise and polish everything before I post it.

I know at many forums, one abusive word or piece of spam is enough to get someone banned, with no discussion. Tom's perhaps is advertising somewhere where young people gather, and attracting folks who just want to vent. If the Guide can't be moderated because of bugs or inconsistencies in the software, it will become the Wild West show that many chat forums have become. Anything goes, and it just goes down the sewer.

I believe we should start another thread about the moderation here, when this issue has run its course. There's a lot of ridicule here among members, even if specific vulgar words are not used.

April 27, 2010 4:20:26 PM

graywolf said:
I believe we should start another thread about the moderation here, when this issue has run its course. There's a lot of ridicule here among members, even if specific vulgar words are not used.

Feel free to report this when you come across it. It's impossible for us to read each post in each thread. So, unless we stumble across it when browsing through, or it's reported, it may slip through the cracks.
Anonymous
April 27, 2010 5:00:05 PM

Remote Tech Support is not really my specialty, I don't really help much in the forums as I'm better suited to providing direct, hands on support. That is to say, doing the work myself for someone who needs the work done most of the time. :) 

So I haven't really been reading the forums much lately.

But if there is a problem in Tom's Hardware forums, then yes, I agree you should start a separate thread so the issue can be dealt with instead of becoming tangled with this separate issue and possibly getting mixed up or forgotten.

Sometimes bugs do creep into the software which by the looks of things, some of the staff wasn't aware of the extent of the situation and with others, it just wasn't brought to their attention before this thread by the looks of it.

As to folks who just need to vent...

What with the nature of the internet and the fact that they agree to a TOS when they sign up here, they should at least know to keep their language clean and if they have to criticize someone, at least be constructive about it instead of being crude and obnoxious.

There's a right way and a wrong way of doing things.

Not only that, but these days, your future employment may just hinge on how you hold yourself online as more and more potential employers are using the internet to research potential employees and they are using such data as Forum posts, Facebook, MySpace Twitter and a whole lot more to decide whether or not someone is worth hiring.

Just recently on TV, one of the News Networks covered this very subject and how it can affect your future employment. They also mentioned how it can affect your current job too as there are people who have been fired already for their online behavior.

So Moderating the forums and the News Article comments is very important.
May 21, 2010 11:27:31 AM

I like Toms the way it is ...

I'm not one to complain about language in the forums ... Iv'e seen it all ... I just ignore the idiots.

!