'How to build part1' misleading and irrelevant

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I dont know if this is the correct place to post this but im going to anyway. I was really dissappointed in crtain aspects of the article entitled 'How To Build, Part 1: Component Selection Overview', for starters they stated here that HDCP stands for "High Definition Content Protection" when it in fact stands for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection". I know this is fairly trivial but it does seem indicative of somewhat lax attitude from toms hardware of late, a kind of 'Why bother looking up what it really stands for, I will just make it up' kind of stance.

They go on about High Defininition support for the entire page as if there is nothing else the consumer should be worried about (forgive me if im wrong but is'nt the main reason some1 would buy a graphics card to play games?). They point out that graphics cards require a component to play HDCP content at full resolution
Both components must contain an HDCP key to ensure authenticity, which is supposed to prevent the unscrupulous manufacture of recording devices with falsified HDCP signatures. HDCP has been adapted to several DVI devices, but any combination that includes a non-compliant component will be forced to reduce image quality.
But fail to mention that the vast majority of graphics cards DO NOT have HDCP keys (this is the component they are talking about). If fact I believe the GeForce8 series are the only current graphics cards to have HDCP keys (without which the quality of protected DCP content is reduced by 75%!!!!).

Im just a little dissappointed with a web site that is supposed to be the biggest hardware web site on the net.

Ok rant over

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Fair enough, but I still think its ridiculous to spend an entire page talking about HD play back and not mention that the only cards that properly support it will cost you over £250. Even then you can still only play up to 720p these £300 cards dont support 1080p, the inquirer.