Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help putting together a system!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 23, 2006 1:59:11 PM

I would like to build a gaming system and need some help finalizing my parts list. Here is what I have so far. I could be completely wrong on some combo's as I have little to no experience in building a system. I am worried about compatibility issues. Let me know what you think. Here is what I have so far:

Thermaltake Armor Black Aluminum case
Antec NeoPower 550
AMD Athlon X2 4600 65w
ABIT Fatal1ty AN9 32X mobo
Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX
Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB
Lite-On Black DVD Burner Retail
ASUS CD -ROM 48x
2 x 1 GB Stick (Not sure what brand to get)
Sony Floppy Drive (Black)

I appreciate any input on this matter.

More about : putting system

November 23, 2006 2:16:34 PM

first of all, wrong section, this section is for cpu discussion you want the general home build section.

but anyway...

nobody should even be thinking about getting a 1950xtx right now, there about the same price as a 8800gts, much better performance, dx10 support, its the only way to go right now if your looking to spend about $450 on a gfx card. and im sure everybody here will agree with that.

next, get a c2d instead, you'll see much better performance for about the same amount of money.

if you get a C2D then your obviously going to need to get a different mobo, the asus P5B deluxe is a good one.

you'll probably want to get a different psu, im not sure if that one will be able to handle a system with an 8800gts in it.

everything else looks good, il let somebody else point you the right way with the ram, and whats your budget?
November 23, 2006 2:21:05 PM

Quote:
nobody should even be thinking about getting a 1950xtx right now, there about the same price as a 8800gts,


So you're saying SLi is better than Crossfire?
Related resources
November 23, 2006 2:25:56 PM

Looks like I need to do some more research. My budget not including the monitor and peripherals is 1600.
November 23, 2006 2:28:13 PM

Both SLI and Crossfire are gimmicks and fall under the category of diminishing returns. A better price per performance ratio can be achieved with a single good card. i wouldn't put much stock in the 8800 just yet too, since AI has yet to release the R600 and we don't know if it'll demolish the 8800.
Jut my two cents.
Ninja.
November 23, 2006 2:33:04 PM

Quote:
So you're saying SLi is better than Crossfire?


when did i say that? all i did was say that right now, if your planning to get a 1950xtx, the 8800gts is the same price and would give you better performance.
November 23, 2006 2:54:15 PM

Quote:

Thermaltake Armor Black Aluminum case
Antec NeoPower 550
AMD Athlon X2 4600 65w
ABIT Fatal1ty AN9 32X mobo
Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX
Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB
Lite-On Black DVD Burner Retail
ASUS CD -ROM 48x
2 x 1 GB Stick (Not sure what brand to get)
Sony Floppy Drive (Black)


Hmmm.... Not quite sure why you'd want to get an X2 with the C2D out there... And as apt403 says, don't bother with the 1950xtx. I see you have a very healthy budget available! Why not go 8800GTX? :twisted:

(I don't think SLI/xFire is worth it... Bang/Buck ratio is almost abysmal for SLI/xFire systems (unless you game at xtreme resolutions))

Regarding memory, I'd go for something like this which gives reasonable bang for buck and is OC friendly.

And of course, the Asus P5W DH :D 
November 23, 2006 3:02:26 PM

If I were to check out the C2D, what would be comparable (price) to the AMD items that I have on my list. Secondly, what are some of the better mobo's for C2D. I intend to use this machine for gaming. I play some FPS but flight sims and other strategy games as well.
November 23, 2006 3:12:58 PM

I'd recommend the Asus P5W DH. It's not exceptionally good at OCing, but it'll do it well enough. It's full of features too and I think a lot of people choose this board for their C2D. Well... maybe I'm biased, as this is the board I'll be getting when I upgrade soon :) 

If you intend to OC a little I'd recommend the E6400. It's OC'd bang/buck ratio is higher than the E6600 @ stock, even with a lower cache size. Once again, I could be biased here :) 

This setup would handle anything you could throw at it. (Especially with a couple 1GB sticks of OC friendly memory!)
November 23, 2006 3:13:26 PM

Quote:
If I were to check out the C2D, what would be comparable (price) to the AMD items that I have on my list. Secondly, what are some of the better mobo's for C2D.


little cheaper then the X2 you where thinking of getting, although if your oc-ing you should just get an E6300 and crank that fsb.
E6400


Abit AB9 Pro:nice board, oc's fairly well.

MSI P965 Platinum:also a good board, im putting it in my new build, and it got the editors choice award in this article

Asus P5B deluxe: asus, P965 chipset, a great board as well.
November 23, 2006 3:21:42 PM

The OCZ gamexstream 700 is a cheap and powerful PSU if you want to save money. Personally I think the asus P5X DH is too expensive for a motherboard. I would recomend the abit AB9 PRO or DS3 and spend the extra money on the E6400.
November 23, 2006 3:37:19 PM

Quote:
The OCZ gamexstream 700 is a cheap and powerful PSU if you want to save money. Personally I think the asus P5X DH is too expensive for a motherboard. I would recomend the abit AB9 PRO or DS3 and spend the extra money on the E6400.


Wouldn't the 600 version of the PSU be better for a non-SLI system? Cheaper, too! 700W seems a bit ott?
November 23, 2006 3:38:15 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145168
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130071
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125444
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128008

Get two of the hard drives for RAID 1. Little bit of a read performance increase, and a huge boost to safety...if it fails, you'll be happy you had RAID 1.

The Chenming case is quite a bit cheaper than the Armor, but just as good as a Lian Li. It's big enough to fit anything the Armor can, like the 8800GTS I picked out, and lighter. If you want, you can swap out the included fans for quieter ones.

Corsair's Dominator series is awesome RAM. Fast, overclockable...which brings me to my next point.

eVGA's new nForce 680i motherboard is just about the best one available right now. Runs fast and cool, and is currently the best-overclocking motherboard out due to nVidia's new chipset they designed in-house. Built to void it's warranty, how do you like that? :wink:
November 23, 2006 5:12:26 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the input. I am now in the process of researching the C2D cpu's and motherboards. I see there is a lot of interest in the evga 680 board as well as the ASus P5W Deluxe board.

I think that the E6600 would be stretching the budget a little. Would the E6400 be a reasonale chip to go with? Bear in mind this is coming from someone who spent the last few weeks researching the AMD market so I am not up to speed with Intel.
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2006 5:29:46 PM

Quote:
I would like to build a gaming system and need some help finalizing my parts list. Here is what I have so far. I could be completely wrong on some combo's as I have little to no experience in building a system. I am worried about compatibility issues. Let me know what you think. Here is what I have so far:

Thermaltake Armor Black Aluminum case
Antec NeoPower 550
AMD Athlon X2 4600 65w
ABIT Fatal1ty AN9 32X mobo
Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX
Western Digital Caviar SE 16 250 GB
Lite-On Black DVD Burner Retail
ASUS CD -ROM 48x
2 x 1 GB Stick (Not sure what brand to get)
Sony Floppy Drive (Black)

I appreciate any input on this matter.


Now there is a problem right now in the GPU/VPU industry. nVIDIA have the fastest card right now, but they know ATI is releasing something that will trash their G80. So nVIDIA is ALREADY working on replacements for the G80 due out in January/February of 2007!!!

I'm not kidding, buy an 8800GTS and it'll drop down in price in about 2 months.. significant drop as well. This is why G80 sales have been lackluster as per many articles so far.

R600 is not a response to the G80, it's a revolution above G80 or anything else. And AMD is forcing ATi to keep on schedule as well with the release.

Whether or not R600 is the last ATi Radeon product remains to be seen. But one things for certain, even I who upgrades ALL the time am not bitting on the G80. I'm waiting for January.
November 23, 2006 7:09:46 PM

Ok,
In that case...What should I(one that does not know that much on this subject matter)do for a GPU. THere is always something better going to be coming out. This is anything but a stagnant market. At this point in time, what would the best option be...keeping in mind the budgetary constraints I am keeping to for this build?
!