Is this system worth replacing? or still has some life left?

vitiris71

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
-Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz Socket 478 Processor Model BX80546PG3000E - Retail
-PC3200 DDR 2GB, 4x512mb
-ABIT IS7-E Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-420W Thermaltake PSU
-XFX 6600GT AGP 8X
-XPPro
-Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I am on the wall about building a new system, but I really dont push some of my games all that hard atleast I dont think I do.

Games WoW, Fear, Surf the net, watch DVD's etc. Someone said to me maybe think about going into a Higher quality AGP card, but I find it hard to think about buying anything AGP anymore with DX10 and PCIX out there right now being the best standard.

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Just throw it all away, honestly. It is defiantely a good time to upgrade. get cornoe, LGA motherboard, DDR2 ram you could keep the PSU and you could keep the graphics card as well as the HDD.

Just tell us your budget. :eek:

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You mean PCIe not PCI-X right? 8O

Or are there PCI-X graphic cards? And who buys them?

And in reply to yas, no, he shouldn´t keep the graphic cards if he gets a new mainboard. Getting a DDR2 mainboard and a conroe and then sticking to AGP wouldn´t be the smartest move to make.

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
You mean PCIe not PCI-X right? 8O

Or are there PCI-X graphic cards? And who buys them?

And in reply to yas, no, he shouldn´t keep the graphic cards if he gets a new mainboard. Getting a DDR2 mainboard and a conroe and then sticking to AGP wouldn´t be the smartest move to make.

sorry about the mistake, no need to bite my head off!

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
If you're saying you'd rather get a new PCIe motherboard and video card next time you upgrade versus an AGP, you're on the right track. Getting yet another AGP card right now only makes sense if someone gives it to you as a gift. (From a stranger ... I hope no one you know would actually do something like that ...)

As for actually doing the upgrade, I suggest waiting at least a month or three longer to see what the motherboards based on the new chipsets from Nvidia and ATI might look like.

It doesn't seem you need to upgrade right this instant and frankly, with DDR2 prices where they are at the moment and with DX10 and other interesting new tech just now popping up, IMO there has never been a better time to take a breath and wait a bit. :wink:

-john

TRENDING THREADS