Home Depot Ditches BlackBerry, Employees Switch to iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I do hope Blackberry takes off, I will myself be upgrading from my HTC android to BB10. Android platform sucks, some phone/carriers let you update, others tough. Hopefully in BB10, Blackberry controls the updates like iOS and leaves the carries out of the equation. I don't want to hear about rooting and customer roms, it should just work.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]I do hope Blackberry takes off, I will myself be upgrading from my HTC android to BB10. Android platform sucks, some phone/carriers let you update, others tough. Hopefully in BB10, Blackberry controls the updates like iOS and leaves the carries out of the equation. I don't want to hear about rooting and customer roms, it should just work.[/citation]
Also i really don't give my crap how my users cry for the device being not as cool as the other one, if the security is already pre built in the system why should i hire somebody or a couple of company to try to reinvent the wheel. I know for a fact that Blackberry Security is Top Notch second to none in the Email world. And have those company assure me that they made the best security for the device I'm using to find out 5 or 10 year down the line that their security was crap.!!

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
People at work do not need toys to distract themselves from helping customers. So WTF why they need an iPhone? Also why spend the extra $$$ ?

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]Also i really don't give my crap how my users cry for the device being not as cool as the other one, if the security is already pre built in the system why should i hire somebody or a couple of company to try to reinvent the wheel. I know for a fact that Blackberry Security is Top Notch second to none in the Email world. And have those company assure me that they made the best security for the device I'm using to find out 5 or 10 year down the line that their security was crap.!![/citation]

So exactly how is Blackberry any more secure than say an iPhone? I hear lots of talk about how secure these devices are supposed to e but to my mind the biggest risk to security is loosing your phone. At least the iPhone has a self destruct mechanism to protect your data!

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I love it when companies give me a reason to not use their services or products.
I tend to stay away from the iAnything stuffs and anything backed with religious cults (especially christian based ones)

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]So exactly how is Blackberry any more secure than say an iPhone? I hear lots of talk about how secure these devices are supposed to e but to my mind the biggest risk to security is loosing your phone. At least the iPhone has a self destruct mechanism to protect your data![/citation]

Let's see if I remember from all those years ago when I supported BlackBerry customers--If you're a Blackberry Enterprise user, your company has a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) that hosts their email, and it is also tied to your company's MS Exchange server, Lotus Domino, or Groupwise Server. Being that they control the I.T. policies, like our company did/does, device passwords were part of I.T. policy so you couldn't get around it. If someone enters an incorrect password 10 times the BB will wipe itself and not even BlackBerry can help you get around that password, or bypass the wipe. I.T. can also disable the BlackBerry's wireless access, and knock it off the BES. This is all fairly standard ops, however BES's encryption protocols are exceptional. They even used to offer xpress messaging which was even more secure and it was limited to gov't use; politicians, various other dignitaries, by extension that included all their mistresses, secret baby mama's and prostitutes, and of course my support group. If you want more specifics on how it's any more secure, then go to their site and download the white papers on their AES and Triple DES encryption algorithms, and encryption keys that are unique to each device. Also the BES is behind the company's firewall, so it's not in the public domain like standard ISP email.

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]I do hope Blackberry takes off, I will myself be upgrading from my HTC android to BB10. Android platform sucks, some phone/carriers let you update, others tough. Hopefully in BB10, Blackberry controls the updates like iOS and leaves the carries out of the equation. I don't want to hear about rooting and customer roms, it should just work.[/citation]

I don't see why you are so against rooting your phone, it allows for much more customization; something iPhones and Blackberries cannot provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.