Plugging Power into SATA Drive Causes PC to not boot

Captpete

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hey guys,

I've been running my system for months now. This past weekend I opened the case to take the fan and heat sink off the processor and blew it off with compressed air. Put the fan and heat sink back on and then put the system asside for a week or so. Went to rebuild the OS today powered on the machine and it stays on for a about 5 seconds and shuts off. I unplugged the power to the Sata drive and the system stays on.

What's up with that?

Pete

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
You need to undo the heatsink and fan Then remove all traces of the old Thermal paste, and apply a fresh drop the size of a grain of rice. Re-assemble and you should be OK :D

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Did you even read his entire post? His system stays on with the HD disconnected, but fails to stay on with it connected... and you give him advice on his CPU? Are you SURE you read his entire post?

I'm not sure your CPU would overheat in 5 seconds if you only had a problem with your thermal paste. The OS wouldn't have even started to load by that point so the CPU would be pretty much idling.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Sorry, I didn't fully read the post. I was just trying to eliminate a possible problem, as the post suggests it could be more than 1 fault!

I did not have any advice regarding the SATA drive plug in, but rodney-ws, (although quick to jump on me) didn't offer you any advice on the SATA either! :oops:

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Unplug and replug SATA cable from both MB and HDD.
Also try a different SATA slot on the MB.
And unplug / replug power connector to the HDD.

Maybe it'll work.

Bazukaz

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
You should try your s-ata drive on another PC to make clear what is causing the problem - drive or something else.

TRENDING THREADS