Intermittent Connectivity problem with Dlink DES-1016D

Tags:
  • PCS
  • Switch
  • D-Link
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 23, 2006 8:58:35 PM

My setup is this: I have two Switches, an ACCTON Cheetahswitch workgroup 3016A (16 port) and a Dlink DES 1016D (16 port). There are 9 PCs connected on the ACCTON Switch and 8 PCs connected on the Dlink Switch. A speedtouch homeplus 511e router/DSL modem is attached to the ACCTON switch for Internet connectivity. The two switches are connected by a cat 5 cable, the ACCTON has a switch (on/off) for MDI/MDI-X while the Dlink has 'autosense'. Sometimes, all the computers connected to the Dlink switch suddenly lose connection with the PCs connected with the ACCTON switch (e.g. LAN games, surfing, etc.). The lights on the DLINK switch are all ok, though (10/100, etc.), and shows the PCs are still connected. So pull the plug on the DLINK switch for 5 seconds and re-plug it. The connection becomes ok again. I wouldn't want to buy a new switch cause its still fairly new so, what do u you guys think is the problem here... the switch? cable?

More about : intermittent connectivity problem dlink des 1016d

March 27, 2006 5:13:22 PM

Are you using the MDI/MDI-X switch on the Accton to connect the two switches or the auto sensing on the dlink? If you are using the switch try putting the cable in a different port on the Accton so the dlink does the switching.
If it stops again try moving the cable to another port on the Accton instead of resetting the dlink. If the link comes back the Accton might be blocking that port. It is an older switch so either it may not handle that much data coming through one port or it is managed and set to disable ports that spam to much (ie virus activity).
March 27, 2006 6:04:51 PM

hmm...never thought of that :oops:  ... am trying it now..

hey thanks! I'll keep u posted .... :D 
!