Microsoft Just Getting Started with Surface Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Currently the company is facing "tepid" reviews stemming from the pricey Surface Pro tablet
Kevin, where are these "tepid" reviews? you mean the ones on every other tech website on the face of the planet apart from Tom's Hardware?
You mean like the review from Anandtech?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6695/microsoft-surface-pro-review
Post your own review, use as much detail as they have, then come back, till then I just can't stomach this deliberate anti-Microsoft agenda that is being ram-rodded down our throats by what has frankly become a shoddy excuse for a tech website

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Concept of Surface Pro is fundamentally brilliant, the thing that's making it get 'tepid' reviews (even though they aren't as tepid as you might try to make people believe it is) is the fact that tech is not up to par just yet. Just imagine how much better Surface 2 Pro will be with Haswell CPU, GT3 IGP, 256-512GB SSD and hopefully a higher capacity battery.
If rumours about GT3 being on par with GTX 650 are true, it'll single-handedly cause a true revolution in casual gaming, not the angry birds and other similar garbage that has been quoted as such for past few years.
If they add couple of extra USB ports for mouse and proper keyboard, it'll make for a great BYOC LAN events too which could eventually help that niche, opening possibilities for more e-sports tournament organizers who can't necessarily afford to secure dozens of PCs for players to play on, but are willing to organize small events on a more narrow scale (regionally speaking), for example small prize tournament for BarCraft event (watching Starcraft II tournament in a bar, basically) goers.

goodegg

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Will it be like the Zune marathon they ran, where at the end, it was that one runner hobbled over as we painfully watched every labored step closer to the finish line, and then a complete collapse at the end? I like the Surface, and I can only hope that they decide if they want to make a very fast tablet or an extremely light (albeit mediocre) ultrabook.

crabsncancer

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Companies and individuals who want an inexpensive laptop solution will not buy this. Companies and individuals who want an inexpensive tablet will not buy this. Like the Zune, this will have a niche market of followers but ultimately will fail in the end and in this case, the failure is critical because it decides Microsoft's future into the touch and tablet space.

G

people talk about windows 8 and the windows market place having to few apps like it's just another failed venture. the thing i don't think many understand is that it is Windows now, there's no reason for them to just can it in the future, it will only grow. All the future versions will have it, or at least some form of it. plus it just came out it takes time to build all the apps that the other platforms already have. As for the surface pro an the rt, i think as they get cheaper and they can make different models it may catch on, but i think it will be more likely that after people began to buy new computers they will see the advantage to have a tablet withe the same functions, give it a few years.

what holds Surface RT back is the lack of development for desktop RT apps. If MS would open that up (as well as win8 desktop apps in the store) then it would change a lot very quickly for the platform. Nothing particularly wrong with metro, it has it's place, but let's not neuter a product that is perfectly capable of something more. Droping the price a little bit would be nice as well.

Surface Pro is great, and is selling great. Problem is that they are not building more. Part of this is because they are conservative and do not want to jump all in on something that actually could fail. Part of this is because they are relatively new in their relationships with their hardware partners and it is going to take a little time to get them to be willing to ramp up production at a low price. Part of the reason is that they know that Haswell is going to have much better parts for Tablets, so they do not want to go full bore until they have the product that they want, rather than the first revision product that is merely fast enough to make things work. Take your pick, but my bet is that they will not really start true bulk manufacturing until gen 3 products.

Surface Phone sounds interesting... but I think that Nokia has such a monumental following for the WP platform that this will probably be their hardest sell out of anything. Nokia has some 70+% of the WP market, and they were late to join the WP bandwagon... that is some serious work on their part. Still, I will be curious to see if they come up with something that is better than my 920... it is one sweet phone!

At this point I will be very surprised if the NextBox does not get introduced as the Surface PC. Make it a closed system box with win8 that can do both the social/causal and hard core games, and then release Office for it, and bring the entire Windows Store to it. Then, take Xbox, and completely turn it into a distribution platform (like steam) rather than a piece of hardware. Instantly you have access to a huge market of computers more than capable of gaming which can tap into the service, and MS will get a cut of every game sold for both consoles and PC. Just be sure to have good sales from time to time to keep Steam users (like myself) happy.

You want to make a closed ecosystem work? That is how you do it: Make an ecosystem where lots of people can bring their products in and sell them. Make solid hardware that becomes the standard, but do not close out other hardware vendors. Make good standard software for web browsing, searching, email, and multimedia viewing, but do not prevent software developers from making their own stuff which may be better. Make a closed app ecosystem, but do it in a way that makes viruses and malware a thing of the past, and where software developers can keep more of their money than on other platforms. In other words, make a complete package, but still make it profitable for others to come in and do their thing. Don't become Apple who alienates everyone, but also do not become Android which is so open that is lacks coherence. MS is shooting for that middle ground, and while I am not convinced MS will succeed at this, but I am more than happy to see them moving in this direction.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I followed the Windows RT release very closely and noticed how some of the major complaints revolved around hardware performance, software bugs, empty ecosystem. The concept itself seemed to be accepted and even highly praised in most cases. If you look at the major complaints, these are things that will hopefully be resolved in future versions. Next Surfaces will come with more powerful hardware, which I hope will include better battery, screen and storage. As far as software goes, I think the OS will be a lot more polished by the next release (perhaps even include SP1). We've already seen how much the ecosystem has grown since W8 release (I believe the number stands at over 40,000 now). It's gonna be interesting to see how well MS develops this product line.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Even if every surface had terrible sales the surface line has been a success in one very important area. It raised the bar for build quality outside of a certain fruit company.

If this inspires even one Android or Windows tablet to be converted from a cheap glossy plastic frame to a full metal chasis then it has been a resounding success in my book. Way to go Microsoft.

G

God bless Metro! Metro yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We love Metro!

Status
Not open for further replies.