IPOD killed my MOBO!

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
hello, something funny for you guys...
I was charging my ipod using the usb port in my old pc... a DELL DIMENSION 4100... I left for about 1 day( I know It was too much) so when I got back to the pc I found it was off. I tried to turn it on but it wouldn't answer... I checked everything and my mobo was the problem(DEAD)

allright, that dell was kinda old anyways... so the following week I plugged my ipod to my new pc... the one in the signature... and guess what happens after 1 day? yeah... it wouldn't turn on.

I don't think is just coincidence...!

has this happened to any of u guys? what to do? :roll:

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You sure that iPod isn't possessed? Well, IMO i think all iPods are possessed.... possessed with Mac evilness! Such as having to be forced to use iTunes just to put songs onto it... heresy!

Anyway, enough of my insanity... yeah, RMA that iPod... or even better, plug it into the USB of an idiot's pc and leave it hidden for a day... might turn the evilness into fun...

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
why would you try to charge it on a new pc if it killed the old one? :? :)
Whereas I would ask if you were in his shoes if would you immediately assume that it was the iPod that killed the Dell system. And if so, why/how? Is charging an MP3 through the USB port a common cause of PC death that I've just never heard about until now? :roll:

Frankly I still find it hard to believe that an iPod could take out a PC via the USB "plug of death".

-john,

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Whereas I would ask if you were in his shoes if would you immediately assume that it was the iPod that killed the Dell system. And if so, why/how?

don't know how but obviously it did. he should have posted this after his old system died, and tried to call apple to find out what could have caused that to happend...

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
don't know how but obviously it did.
Why is it obvious that the iPod killed it? You come back, the Dell is dead. What makes the iPod a more likely source of the failure than the PSU or the motherboard going bad?

The second time around it looks really weird though. So, yeah, talk to Apple about it. But I probably would have done the same thing he did after the Dell died. If the iPod is otherwise functional, I wouldn't have seen any reason to blame it for the Dell's death.

Soooooooo what could be wrong with the iPod which would kill a PC over an extended period of time? I can imagine a bad connection or such that cause a short on the USB power, but I'd expect that sort of a failure to happen right after it was plugged into the USB port.

-john

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
I can imagine a bad connection or such that cause a short on the USB power, but I'd expect that sort of a failure to happen right after it was plugged into the USB port.

true, like i said i've never heard of anything like that but most likely ipod caused the problem

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
My friend had the same thing happen - charged an ipod with the usb port & it killed his board. Asus RMA'd it but he was without that computer for a few weeks. I'd say charge your ipods another way.

Jo

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Soooooooo what could be wrong with the iPod which would kill a PC over an extended period of time? I can imagine a bad connection or such that cause a short on the USB power, but I'd expect that sort of a failure to happen right after it was plugged into the USB port.

Just a guess but it could be that it draws more current than other devices and does so for an extended period of time. The extended time allows some part of the circuit to get hot (in a spot that is not well cooled since the mobo manufacturer did not expect it to have that level of current running through that section steady-state. USB devices are usually either really small & not plugged in long (flash drives) or externally powered (printers).

Jo

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
USB "plug of death".
Now there's an interseting invention....

I am zjohnr, tamed holder of the USB Plug of death, fear me and my plug and play support!!!

Just realesed, USB 2.0 Plug of death! Bring the end of all that is to your enemies at upto 480mbps!!!!

AlexIrvine

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
you have to charge it on a mac.....its how they take out the competition :)

for real....RMA that thing....

That idea sound pretty feasible :)
However I would'nt charge anything off my laptop. Especially a stinky dell.

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
well, I tried with my new pc cuz I didn't imagine that the ipod killed my mobo...! I saw it just as a coincidence... but not anymore after it happened the second time. I rma'd the mobo... I'll get a new one next monday.!

Be aware with the usb killer guys...! the ipod was a video ipod(30GB)

just for u to know.. I got a 'wall connection' charger for the ipod and I left it charging about one day just to see what happened and the charger died as well...!

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I got a 'wall connection' charger for the ipod and I left it charging about one day just to see what happened and the charger died as well...!
Hmmmmmmmm. 8O :? It certainly looks like Apple's got's some 'splaining to do!

Good luck with Apple tech support. And post if they say anything interesting. :wink:

-john

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
just for u to know.. I got a 'wall connection' charger for the ipod and I left it charging about one day just to see what happened and the charger died as well...!

i feel your pain, but i cant stop laughing at that statement.. phone apple tell them what the ipod is doing, let us kno what happens.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Meh. Haven't had problems that bad with a 30GB photo iPod. At least it hasn't killed any of my computers. My foks' computer wouldn't recognize it, and it would sort of crash, not quite a BSOD but things just wouldn't work right.

Apple hasn't impressed me lately. Especially the iPods.

Someone should make a thread about iPod problems, and then have it stickied.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
1) sell it on ebay as "Computer-Killer iPod"

2) Bring Apple to court, make them pay you, fix your two computers and get you a new iPod

Just try to fix your pc's disconnect the DC power connector from the back and plug it back in 5 mins or try to bring it to a technician.

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
bring a technician? lol...!
I'll get a new mobo next monday and that should do it..!

any lawyers around here? we could certainly get a lot of money if we sue apple for killing maybe... 100 computers...?

any volunteers? let me know

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Haha when I mentioned technicians is because I thought you didnt know how to fix it but I see you know :)

Hey if I can get that iPod it would be great hahaha