Freakyuno

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Greetings everyone,

Here's my situation. I've got a business class Cable Internet Service, that I am hosting servers on. I'm provided with 2 static IP's from the cable company but only one cable modem. Bandwidth sharing is not a concern persay.

I'm looking for a router product that can hold and route / nat multiple IP address from a single cable modem so that I can assign routing / firewall rules on an ip address basis, or at the very least, port forwarding.

Is there a hardware product out there that will accomplish this? Cost isnt a concern. Do I need to be looking into a software solution, like a linux routing and firewall box? I'd rather take the hardware route if possible.

Thanks in Advance.

riser

Illustrious
I don't know the product model off hand, but I know if you head out to Linksys.com you'll find the product. Look under their routers. You're looking for a small, low end router, should cost you about $300 I think.

Freakyuno

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I assume your refering to the business line of Linksys's routers. Like the RV series including the RV082 (their smallest router).

I had considered these, but they have dual WAN ports, so my question is this...would I go from the cable modem to a switch, and dual lines out of the switch to the router?

They are also listed as "Redundant" routers, and my concern is that they are missing the features through software that I am going to need to utilize the multiple IP's from my ISP in the way I need to.

For example: I would need the first external ip address to be resolved to a specific server running dns and exchange, I would need the second interface to resolve to a server doing web serving and sql. I dont want them load ballanced, but I also dont want to DMZ both servers on the router, or I would just hook them straight up to the switch in the first place.

So my question is, are the SoHo routers going to provide the routing features I need to manage servers behind a firewall and gateway without employing workarounds or having to do complicated port redirection to get it to the correct machine on the internal network? Having multiple external IP's is a benifit that I would like to use.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The most inexpensive solution I can think of that would definatly do that is a Cisco PIX 501. It will be more expensive than a linksys, netgear, or dlink router but it is definatly a superior product.