RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
I want to put a custom switch on (for the start button)

my problem is my case has the switch already 1 wire green and 1 white... i need to know witch one is the

+12 Volt Source

and witch is the +12 Volt output to trigger source

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
What kind of switch are you using? The switch on a computer really just shorts the two connectors on the motherboard, you can short the two pins using a screwdriver to start your computer if you wanted. So there really should be no wrong way to wire the switch.

Just as an FYI www.frozencpu.com has some nice switches.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
i have a "attitude" (kinda retarded name) switch .. its a flip up top "used in racing slot"

so it doesnt matter it just needs to short

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
i have a "attitude" (kinda retarded name) switch .. its a flip up top "used in racing slot"

so it doesnt matter it just needs to short

Yes, but not a continuous short. The system will turn off after a few seconds. Use a momentary switch.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
In addition to what the others pointed out, I'll add that usually the switches with the flip-up safety covers are usually fairly ordinary toggle switches with the cover just screwed on, so buy a "momentary N.O. (normally open)" toggle of roughly the same size to replace whatever came with the widget you bought and you'll be all set.

You and the rest of the folks here can find lots of interesting ideas in catalogs (print and on-line) like Mouser, Newark Electronics and Digi-Key, where you can find hundreds or even thousands of different switches.

Here's an interesting idea that builds upon your safety switch... go with what you have, don't worry about finding a momentary action toggle, just wire it in series with a panel mount momentary action pushbutton. A large recessed red one like you see in heavy equipment controls, or one of those really easy to hit huge red pushbuttons like you see being used for emergency stop functions in factory equipment.

Wiring the pushbutton in series means it'll be active only when the safety cover is up and the toggle flipped to the "active" position.

Have fun!
-Brad

TRENDING THREADS