Sign in with
Your question

Why is QX6700 $1500 on Newegg?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 24, 2006 3:14:53 AM

I'm sorry, but I've seen it for as low as $1050 on other sites. Just froogle it. How can Newegg account for a $450 premium?

More about : qx6700 1500 newegg

November 24, 2006 3:57:46 AM

Recently newegg has gotten into this trend of ripping off it's loyal customers because some people refuse to shop elsewhere and love the shipping speed and availability.

I'm not liking it....and if they continue to do that, they will lose a lot of the Enthusiast customers to Zipzoomfly.com
November 24, 2006 4:13:06 AM

idk about u guys, but i like both retailers. actually i only buy from those two.
Related resources
November 24, 2006 4:13:18 AM

I was gonna say the same thing just in a different way.

It's like Intel was here a while ago before AMD made their mark with the Athlons. An Intel system was twice the price because no one knew of AMD. Especially with the first revision of the P4's. Everyone just wanted to have one, not because it's faster but because it's an Intel P4.
November 24, 2006 4:13:22 AM

I like zippy better. I got my 7900GT from there for 280, no tax or shipping, and got it in 2 days 1 day to process and it took only 1 day to ship. thats fast service.
November 24, 2006 5:07:56 AM

I don't see the retail version anywhere else. Tiger has the OEM for 1,099. You could buy a heck of a fan/heat sink, motherboard, and PSU for the $400 difference tho. Newegg sold out at that price already. They will capitilize on the suckers that must have it NOW on occassion.
November 24, 2006 5:29:35 AM

You almost couldnt pay me $400 to buy anything from Tigerdirect with all the problems they have.

Tigerdirect likes to take opened/used products and put them in a box like brand new.....and sell it for the same price as an unopened box....Tigerdirect is well known for doing a lot of really sketchy things.

Check this

Comparred to

This

There is a reason why newegg is the best.
November 24, 2006 5:47:00 AM

And suckers they are indeed. I could do a whole lot with that money.
November 24, 2006 6:02:21 AM

If I were to guess, I'd say that was an old price (before they sold out) The next batch will probably come with a lower price tag.
If not, they wont get many sales.
Newegg's rep is for a good price, good support and quick delivery. It takes all three to keep customers coming back these days.
November 24, 2006 7:01:45 AM

American Economy supply / demand principles in an open slather marketplace with no goverment control.

Let the smacktards pay a US$450+ premium to be first in line and have their fun... for a few months ahead of everyone else.

The smart people will be going Xeon 5300 series anyway (2 x quad-core chips, potential for 64+ GB ECC RAM using FB-DIMMs, etc).

No point running quad-core if you don't raise the bar on other components to keep it all relative.
That and Xeon 5300 will be more a commodity part, so the price premium will be lower.
8) Same concept worked for me with Opteron 270 (2 x dual-core) about 2 years ago. :wink:
November 24, 2006 7:27:23 AM

Quote:
American Economy supply / demand principles in an open slather marketplace with no goverment control.

Let the smacktards pay a US$450+ premium to be first in line and have their fun... for a few months ahead of everyone else.

The smart people will be going Xeon 5300 series anyway (2 x quad-core chips, potential for 64+ GB ECC RAM using FB-DIMMs, etc).

No point running quad-core if you don't raise the bar on other components to keep it all relative.
That and Xeon 5300 will be more a commodity part, so the price premium will be lower.
8) Same concept worked for me with Opteron 270 (2 x dual-core) about 2 years ago. :wink:

Thank you.
Plus also like mentioned before newegg has been getting into the trend of marking stuff up(by alot).
November 24, 2006 1:55:54 PM

Well, I've been comparing parts, and I estimate you could easily save 5-10% on a home built machine if you just shop around on the web instead of buying everything from Newegg or similar etailer. Bah, for example, I just found that I could have saved $55 on my SST-TJ07-BW case if I had bought from a site called EastLuna.com. Oh well. It doesn't look as reputable as Newegg, but still! $55 is a lot of money for a price premium on only one part. If every part is an average of $30 more on Newegg, then you could easily spend an extra $200-$300.

From now on, whenever I buy computer stuff, I'm going to check Newegg, Froogle, and PriceWatch to help ensure I make the right decision. If Newegg is only a little bit (read: like 1% at most) more, I'll probably go with them just because I trust them. However, no more price premiums! What other sites do you guys recommend?
November 24, 2006 3:52:07 PM

While that's a great idea on paper, most "well known" etailers will put a premium because they have the reputation of being able to deliver on time, and their customer service is decent.

Newegg is a favorite of mine, not because of price, but because it does deliver on time (or quicker) and it's RMA support is extremely easy. Other sites I have tried cannot compare to that type of service, and some even take upwards to 2-3 weeks, before delivering, claiming it was a stocking issue, while the item is still "in Stock" on their site.

$55 is a lot of money for a single component for a premium, but it's not worth the time wasted trying to find that $55 cheaper item that you ordered 3 weeks ago from "Joe's Computer Depot".

Just my $.02
November 24, 2006 5:39:57 PM

If you order from many sites as opposed to from one site, you will end up paying quite a bit more for shipping and you also have the hassle of having to track all of your different orders and you can't assemble until the last part has arrived (meaning the slowest shipper).
November 24, 2006 10:07:07 PM

another thing that tigerdirect does is screw you over if they run out of stock before they process your order. They either upgrade or downgrade your order (think if you purchased a 4400+ and instead you got a 4200+). 9 times out of 10 they downgrade you.
November 24, 2006 10:21:01 PM

I admire Newegg, but their unfortunate proximity to my residence (we both live in California) makes me more inclined to etailers in other states, like Directron.
November 25, 2006 1:44:36 AM

like jacking up a price on a hit item is new? demand drives it whether its a damn elmo doll or a car. until the market is saturated with quadcores prepare to pay. if they offer way low than your gonna pay somewhere else in the transaction.
November 25, 2006 2:07:46 AM

Eh. Well I know I'll never be one to rush right out and get the latest the moment it's released. So I'm not worried, I don't work in the IT industry and my penis isn't small enough to justify convincing myself I need something that I really don't.

But really, if one is willing to pay $1100, $1200 or whatever for the latest cpu the moment it's released. What is a few more hundred going to matter? You're a retard either way or hung like a circus mouse. If someone has to pawn every possession they own in the world to afford something like a cpu, they need some therapy.
November 25, 2006 2:27:01 AM

Man, looks like someone has a serious penis complex --^

Anyhow, newegg has definitely taken a turn for the shady lately with their price gouging and it is very unsavory of them. Every item I priced out for my new box was 10-15% cheaper at tigerdirect. Both deliver at the same speed and cost as well so it makes no sense to go newegg any more. With any luck they will read this thread and get their $h1t together.
November 25, 2006 3:02:43 AM

Quote:
Recently newegg has gotten into this trend of ripping off it's loyal customers because some people refuse to shop elsewhere and love the shipping speed and availability.

I'm not liking it....and if they continue to do that, they will lose a lot of the Enthusiast customers to Zipzoomfly.com

BIG TIME word. newegg has good service, great shipping, and good specials. But after specials, the prices recently are... blah.
November 25, 2006 3:15:57 AM

Heh and with a name like escrotumus.
I like Newegg as well as tigerdirect. I shopped around and found that for the most part, new egg has the best prices. They are reliable and have a good RMA policy also, but if zipzoomfly had a better price I'd consider them.
November 25, 2006 3:02:04 PM

Yeah but then you need to pay X++ seperate parties for delivery on X++ seperate items.

So that $55 'loss' doesn't look so relative anymore.
November 25, 2006 8:38:32 PM

If I did, I would have one of those chips in my computer right now. I don't and have no plans to for quite some time.

Actually though I haven't bought anything from Newegg in a couple years now. Between Microcenter and another local, smaller shop I've gotten everything I've needed or wanted cheaper than what items were going for online.

My point is, if you want to be "l33t" for whatever reason. Don't start crying when you have to pay a premium for that status.
November 26, 2006 12:47:52 AM

Wow, I don't know what microcenter you've been going to but the one near me is always much more expensive than etailers. I only buy things from my microcenter if I am worried that they won't work out so that I can return them easy. I will buy my motherboard there because they have it in stock and judging by how all of the core2 boards have problems it will be easy to take it back if its a pos. These etailers have gotten in a very nasty habit lately of no returns on motherboards, only exchanges. Anyway, after neweggs shenanigans lately with price gouging, I will only buy from them if they are the only one that carries an item or they are substantially cheaper which surely doesn't happen much these days.
November 26, 2006 11:12:55 PM

I've found Microcenter to be good for general things. Cases, powersupplies, heatsinks, input devices. They always seem to be running sales or rebates on those things, or just have good prices. While it might not always be cheaper to buy it at Microcenter/locally, the savings you get online might not be great enough to counter the fact that when you buy locally you get the item right now. But theres been quite a few times I've bought motherboards, video cards and a low end cpu and it's been quite a bit cheaper than online. Just a couple things, I got the 9600XT when it was new there for $35 cheaper than online. A s478 intel board $25 cheaper than online and earlier this year an A64 3200 cpu for $20 less. From a small local shop I got an x2 4400 about a month after they were out for $50 less than anywhere online.

Though I'm not buying new hardware every month or something. So maybe I just get lucky and happen to buy things when prices are good.
November 27, 2006 12:27:30 AM

Tigerdirect ownz the shit out of newegg, although both are cool. I use zipzoomfly, monarchcomputer, cpusolutions, tigerdirect, and newegg. Newegg is by far the easiest to use has the best website, although usually the most expensive. Oh well, their sexy website makes up for it, just like a dumb woman.
November 27, 2006 12:34:07 AM

You can't be serious... TD.. beats Newegg? Lets get back to basics, one plus one equals two....
November 27, 2006 12:37:11 AM

:roll: *sigh*
I'll let someone else waste their time with you.
November 27, 2006 12:39:17 AM

Quote:
You can't be serious... TD.. beats Newegg? Lets get back to basics, one plus one equals two....

For everything i quoted, TD owned newegg on price. I have never had a problem with TD on service or shipping but had an item with newegg once that took a day longer than it was supposed to. I needed the item then and was pissed that they screwed the pooch on it. Newegg USED to be the best but they got greedy and are now slipping. Let's also not belittle people here by insinuating that they are a retard for liking one vendor over another pls thx.
November 27, 2006 12:42:24 AM

His comment was pretty general, so thats what I was referring too. Newegg still has a better reputation than Tigerdirect and their rebate policy is many times better. I don't feel like arguing anymore so thats all I'll say.
November 27, 2006 12:42:43 AM

I win.

Thank you escrotumus. I appreciate the help very much.

If you were a bucket, I would have you carry the water I drink.
November 27, 2006 4:59:04 PM

Quote:

If you were a bucket, I would have you carry the water I drink.

:trophy: You win the most random metaphor of the day award!
December 3, 2006 1:47:41 PM

Lol, now it's $1700 on Newegg.
December 3, 2006 2:34:21 PM

I know and that would be funny for someone that are paying for it and only to find out it's $600 less in other sellers.
December 3, 2006 3:28:24 PM

In defense of newegg,they dont claim to be the cheapest,never have.Knowing youre probly getting a decent buy from newegg isnt it more exciting to find a better buy elsewhere?And might I add much more intelligent to do so?Never ASS U ME
December 4, 2006 2:36:59 AM

Isn't it like that everywhere. Except maybe the place that claim to be the cheapest and lower their prices when you show them proof that they aren't. Either way it still requires shopping around.
December 4, 2006 3:01:11 AM

Not saying it would cover a 600 dollar gap, but is the TD chip OEM?
The NewEgg is retail.
The QA6700 with fan is 1299 at TD. Good deal. The X6800 with fan is comparible with a few bucks of either place.
OEM proc only at TD is 1099.
December 4, 2006 3:14:04 AM

Quote:

That's what happened with me when they started mail-in rebates.
December 4, 2006 3:40:15 AM

I've ordered tons of stuff from TD and never had a problem. I saved $40 on my OCZ PSU. It pays to shop all the major etailers.
December 4, 2006 4:47:18 AM

I don't know, for the majority of items I've been looking at Newegg has beat almost ever other retailer for almost every item by a few dollers -not every time but enough to say that they are generally the cheapest place for some things. Besides, I wouldn't go online to buy little things like blank media or batteries unless I was going for bulk. Of coarse sometimes I can find things cheaper because of sales but that's just like every other type of store, just gotta shop around.
The thing I don't like about TigerDirect is that most of their deals require mail-in rebates which i find to be a real hassle so even if they're cheaper on a lot of things it's usually not worth it to me unless i'm saving a substantial sum. I did get a good deal for a gig stick back when they were something to ooh and ahh about though.
December 4, 2006 1:33:34 PM

Who would pay $200 more for a retails CPU over an OEM?? Just put $50 of that into a decent HSF and pocket the other $150.
December 4, 2006 2:26:39 PM

Quote:
Who would pay $200 more for a retails CPU over an OEM?? Just put $50 of that into a decent HSF and pocket the other $150.

I would pay $200 more on a $1K+ CPU for the sole fact that the Intel retail box carries a 3year warranty and OEM is 90day unless the seller offers their own coverage.
December 4, 2006 2:47:14 PM

Quote:

I didn't believe you, but you are correct. NewEgg has upped the price to $1,700. It's all supply and demand. If people didn't buy it at those prices then NewEgg wouldn't sell it at those prices. Holiday demand plus and already limited supply = high prices. Even at $1,700 NewEgg says "limit 1 per customer". If they had a lot of these sitting around they wouldn't care how many you bought as long as you bought them.

Sorry, once you take four different economics classes throughout your college career you don't mind when you see supply and demand at work.

I couldn't even find the QX6700 on ZipZoomFly.

Interestingly the Core2Quad will run your more the the extreme edition of the Core 2 Duo at tigerdirect.com
December 4, 2006 4:20:44 PM

Quote:

I would pay $200 more on a $1K+ CPU for the sole fact that the Intel retail box carries a 3year warranty and OEM is 90day unless the seller offers their own coverage.

So you are one of those people that buys the $400 warranty from best buy on your $2000 TV. I didn't know people ever actually bought those things. Personally, I wouldn't pay a nearly 20% price premium for a warranty.
December 4, 2006 4:48:22 PM

Quote:

So you are one of those people that buys the $400 warranty from best buy on your $2000 TV. I didn't know people ever actually bought those things. Personally, I wouldn't pay a nearly 20% price premium for a warranty.

I guess I am one of those people. A few sites (consumer reports to name one) recommended the purchase of the warranty since the technology of the new TVs (plasman, large LCDs, etc) is new enough that it's not certain how they'll age. And in my case I'm very glad I did so, I've used the service 3 times already (generally for the same issue). I don't know the going rate of the service but I'm betting I've about broken even. If they need to come look at the TV one more time, I get a new TV.

Back to the original topic. If it was just a matter of a fan I'd gladly purchase an OEM chip. But as was stated earlier, the difference between a 90 warranty and a 3 year warranty is significant. Especially when there are retailers selling retail versions for the same price as many OEMs. (All backordered of course=/).
December 4, 2006 6:47:37 PM

I agree that for a very small increase in price, the Retail version would be worth the difference. In general, if a processor is going to die, it will happen soon after plugging it in. So, the extra 2 3/4 years on the warranty isn't really worth too much. Most of the time if it breaks, it will be your fault anyways.

As for TV warranties, by far the main problem (at least with projection TVs) is the bulb going on them. Conveniently enough, that is the one thing that extended warranties don't cover. I have a couple of friends that have 50+" DLP projection TVs and they have both had to replace their bulbs within the first 2 years, but have had no other problems. In fact, even my old man has had a 60" LCD projection for about 4 years now with no problems (not even the bulb). Of course everybody has different experiences, too bad you've had bad luck with yours (lucked out on the warranty for once). In general, warranties are not worth it simply because they wouldn't offer them at that price if they weren't going to make money.
December 4, 2006 7:01:06 PM

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it was a bitter pill to swallow when I initially purchased my TV. The extra $400 in price stings the wallet. (Although I did negotiate the TV price down 10%). Generally I am never an extra warranty buying person. I'm building a new computer and purchased OEM drives and didn't think twice about it. And I chuckled at the thought of buying Neweggs warranty. But I think it relates to how much it'd hurt to have to replace (if it is outside of the warranty.) $100-$200 isn't fun to have to spend to replace something, but at least for me, it's not going to horrible. When a processor that costs $1000 breaks (*2 or *3 for a TV), that's going to make life difficult (to buy again, explain to wife, live without, etc).
December 4, 2006 7:17:27 PM

I hear ya. There is just a point where I can't make myself spend the extra money just for the added security.
December 5, 2006 2:19:55 AM

Quote:

I guess the $1700 experiment failed. Newegg has it back down to a measely $1600 now. :tongue:

On a side note I think I found stock of a retail version for a reasonable price (relatively speaking) and snatched up the last one. Now here's hoping it was really in stock instead of 'pretend instock'.
December 5, 2006 5:19:36 AM

yeah $1500 is a fair bit if thats us dollars,this cpu is $1500 in australia,but our dollar is worth less than the us dollar,$1500 us dollars is about $1900 in australian.
!