Why is QX6700 $1500 on Newegg?

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Recently newegg has gotten into this trend of ripping off it's loyal customers because some people refuse to shop elsewhere and love the shipping speed and availability.

I'm not liking it....and if they continue to do that, they will lose a lot of the Enthusiast customers to Zipzoomfly.com

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I was gonna say the same thing just in a different way.

It's like Intel was here a while ago before AMD made their mark with the Athlons. An Intel system was twice the price because no one knew of AMD. Especially with the first revision of the P4's. Everyone just wanted to have one, not because it's faster but because it's an Intel P4.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I like zippy better. I got my 7900GT from there for 280, no tax or shipping, and got it in 2 days 1 day to process and it took only 1 day to ship. thats fast service.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I don't see the retail version anywhere else. Tiger has the OEM for 1,099. You could buy a heck of a fan/heat sink, motherboard, and PSU for the $400 difference tho. Newegg sold out at that price already. They will capitilize on the suckers that must have it NOW on occassion.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
You almost couldnt pay me $400 to buy anything from Tigerdirect with all the problems they have.

Tigerdirect likes to take opened/used products and put them in a box like brand new.....and sell it for the same price as an unopened box....Tigerdirect is well known for doing a lot of really sketchy things.

Check this

Comparred to

This

There is a reason why newegg is the best.

endyen

Splendid
If I were to guess, I'd say that was an old price (before they sold out) The next batch will probably come with a lower price tag.
If not, they wont get many sales.
Newegg's rep is for a good price, good support and quick delivery. It takes all three to keep customers coming back these days.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
American Economy supply / demand principles in an open slather marketplace with no goverment control.

Let the smacktards pay a US$450+ premium to be first in line and have their fun... for a few months ahead of everyone else.

The smart people will be going Xeon 5300 series anyway (2 x quad-core chips, potential for 64+ GB ECC RAM using FB-DIMMs, etc).

No point running quad-core if you don't raise the bar on other components to keep it all relative.
That and Xeon 5300 will be more a commodity part, so the price premium will be lower.
8) Same concept worked for me with Opteron 270 (2 x dual-core) about 2 years ago. :wink:

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
American Economy supply / demand principles in an open slather marketplace with no goverment control.

Let the smacktards pay a US$450+ premium to be first in line and have their fun... for a few months ahead of everyone else.

The smart people will be going Xeon 5300 series anyway (2 x quad-core chips, potential for 64+ GB ECC RAM using FB-DIMMs, etc).

No point running quad-core if you don't raise the bar on other components to keep it all relative.
That and Xeon 5300 will be more a commodity part, so the price premium will be lower.
8) Same concept worked for me with Opteron 270 (2 x dual-core) about 2 years ago. :wink:

Thank you.
Plus also like mentioned before newegg has been getting into the trend of marking stuff up(by alot).

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well, I've been comparing parts, and I estimate you could easily save 5-10% on a home built machine if you just shop around on the web instead of buying everything from Newegg or similar etailer. Bah, for example, I just found that I could have saved $55 on my SST-TJ07-BW case if I had bought from a site called EastLuna.com. Oh well. It doesn't look as reputable as Newegg, but still! $55 is a lot of money for a price premium on only one part. If every part is an average of $30 more on Newegg, then you could easily spend an extra $200-$300.

From now on, whenever I buy computer stuff, I'm going to check Newegg, Froogle, and PriceWatch to help ensure I make the right decision. If Newegg is only a little bit (read: like 1% at most) more, I'll probably go with them just because I trust them. However, no more price premiums! What other sites do you guys recommend?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
While that's a great idea on paper, most "well known" etailers will put a premium because they have the reputation of being able to deliver on time, and their customer service is decent.

Newegg is a favorite of mine, not because of price, but because it does deliver on time (or quicker) and it's RMA support is extremely easy. Other sites I have tried cannot compare to that type of service, and some even take upwards to 2-3 weeks, before delivering, claiming it was a stocking issue, while the item is still "in Stock" on their site.

$55 is a lot of money for a single component for a premium, but it's not worth the time wasted trying to find that $55 cheaper item that you ordered 3 weeks ago from "Joe's Computer Depot".

Just my $.02

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If you order from many sites as opposed to from one site, you will end up paying quite a bit more for shipping and you also have the hassle of having to track all of your different orders and you can't assemble until the last part has arrived (meaning the slowest shipper).

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
another thing that tigerdirect does is screw you over if they run out of stock before they process your order. They either upgrade or downgrade your order (think if you purchased a 4400+ and instead you got a 4200+). 9 times out of 10 they downgrade you.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I admire Newegg, but their unfortunate proximity to my residence (we both live in California) makes me more inclined to etailers in other states, like Directron.

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
like jacking up a price on a hit item is new? demand drives it whether its a damn elmo doll or a car. until the market is saturated with quadcores prepare to pay. if they offer way low than your gonna pay somewhere else in the transaction.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Eh. Well I know I'll never be one to rush right out and get the latest the moment it's released. So I'm not worried, I don't work in the IT industry and my penis isn't small enough to justify convincing myself I need something that I really don't.

But really, if one is willing to pay $1100, $1200 or whatever for the latest cpu the moment it's released. What is a few more hundred going to matter? You're a retard either way or hung like a circus mouse. If someone has to pawn every possession they own in the world to afford something like a cpu, they need some therapy.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Man, looks like someone has a serious penis complex --^

Anyhow, newegg has definitely taken a turn for the shady lately with their price gouging and it is very unsavory of them. Every item I priced out for my new box was 10-15% cheaper at tigerdirect. Both deliver at the same speed and cost as well so it makes no sense to go newegg any more. With any luck they will read this thread and get their $h1t together.

georgelawton

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Recently newegg has gotten into this trend of ripping off it's loyal customers because some people refuse to shop elsewhere and love the shipping speed and availability.

I'm not liking it....and if they continue to do that, they will lose a lot of the Enthusiast customers to Zipzoomfly.com

BIG TIME word. newegg has good service, great shipping, and good specials. But after specials, the prices recently are... blah.

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Heh and with a name like escrotumus.
I like Newegg as well as tigerdirect. I shopped around and found that for the most part, new egg has the best prices. They are reliable and have a good RMA policy also, but if zipzoomfly had a better price I'd consider them.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
If I did, I would have one of those chips in my computer right now. I don't and have no plans to for quite some time.

Actually though I haven't bought anything from Newegg in a couple years now. Between Microcenter and another local, smaller shop I've gotten everything I've needed or wanted cheaper than what items were going for online.

My point is, if you want to be "l33t" for whatever reason. Don't start crying when you have to pay a premium for that status.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Wow, I don't know what microcenter you've been going to but the one near me is always much more expensive than etailers. I only buy things from my microcenter if I am worried that they won't work out so that I can return them easy. I will buy my motherboard there because they have it in stock and judging by how all of the core2 boards have problems it will be easy to take it back if its a pos. These etailers have gotten in a very nasty habit lately of no returns on motherboards, only exchanges. Anyway, after neweggs shenanigans lately with price gouging, I will only buy from them if they are the only one that carries an item or they are substantially cheaper which surely doesn't happen much these days.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I've found Microcenter to be good for general things. Cases, powersupplies, heatsinks, input devices. They always seem to be running sales or rebates on those things, or just have good prices. While it might not always be cheaper to buy it at Microcenter/locally, the savings you get online might not be great enough to counter the fact that when you buy locally you get the item right now. But theres been quite a few times I've bought motherboards, video cards and a low end cpu and it's been quite a bit cheaper than online. Just a couple things, I got the 9600XT when it was new there for $35 cheaper than online. A s478 intel board $25 cheaper than online and earlier this year an A64 3200 cpu for $20 less. From a small local shop I got an x2 4400 about a month after they were out for $50 less than anywhere online.

Though I'm not buying new hardware every month or something. So maybe I just get lucky and happen to buy things when prices are good.