WiFy with dial-up modem ?

February 28, 2005 2:44:04 AM

Is it possible to set up a home wireless internet connection using Netzero
dial-up service,to connect to my wifi enabled pda ? Thanks

More about : wify dial modem

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:53:26 AM

"Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to set up a home wireless internet connection using Netzero
> dial-up service,to connect to my wifi enabled pda ? Thanks

You can probably try the http://www.wiflyer.com

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
March 1, 2005 12:53:27 AM

Or you can add wireless to the PC that dials in to the dialup service, and
share the dial up service using Internet Connection Service. You would then
connect the PPC to the PC wireless connection Ad-Hoc. Or if you already
have wireless in the house with an Access Point, again, share the dial up
connection.

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:o BLvnLXHFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> "Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to set up a home wireless internet connection using
>> Netzero dial-up service,to connect to my wifi enabled pda ? Thanks
>
> You can probably try the http://www.wiflyer.com

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> http://www.geekmac.com
> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

March 1, 2005 12:17:41 PM

Thanks, Can you expand on this just a bit ? I would connect my PC to the
internet,then what hardware do I need to transmit that signal thru the house
? I'm new to the wireless technology Thanks again Alan
"Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o LlwHcgHFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Or you can add wireless to the PC that dials in to the dialup service, and
> share the dial up service using Internet Connection Service. You would
> then connect the PPC to the PC wireless connection Ad-Hoc. Or if you
> already have wireless in the house with an Access Point, again, share the
> dial up connection.
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o BLvnLXHFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> "Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it possible to set up a home wireless internet connection using
>>> Netzero dial-up service,to connect to my wifi enabled pda ? Thanks
>>
>> You can probably try the http://www.wiflyer.com
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>> http://www.geekmac.com
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

March 1, 2005 8:41:30 PM

In message <OLlwHcgHFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Sven"
<sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Or you can add wireless to the PC that dials in to the dialup service, and
> share the dial up service using Internet Connection Service. You would then
> connect the PPC to the PC wireless connection Ad-Hoc. Or if you already
> have wireless in the house with an Access Point, again, share the dial up
> connection.
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o BLvnLXHFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > "Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Is it possible to set up a home wireless internet connection using
> >> Netzero dial-up service,to connect to my wifi enabled pda ? Thanks
> >
> > You can probably try the http://www.wiflyer.com
> >
> > --
> > Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> > http://www.geekmac.com
> > Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> > Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

Or besides the excellent advice above, some acces points have serial ports
(rs232) and the ability to operate an external modem. I've done this
successfully with a dlink dl-713p, a hayes compatible 56k modem and access4free
isp. I did it when the hurricanes knocked out my broadband but good old pots
survived unscratched in my area.
Hth,
Dean
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:18:35 AM

If you have not only WiFi but Bluetooth too I think better use Bluetooth.
Bluetooth will be cheaper for your pocket(USB Dongle) (thought not much) and
for battery of your pocketpc(very very much).
Speed of dial-up is much less than Bluetooth.

"Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to set up a home wireless internet connection using Netzero
> dial-up service,to connect to my wifi enabled pda ? Thanks

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:24:13 AM

If you just want to share the dial-up connection and have no experience
installing a new card on your PC (let alone creating a LAN bridge or sharing
a connection), then it will be much easier to somply go the wiflyer way.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz

> Thanks, Can you expand on this just a bit ? I would connect my PC to the
> internet,then what hardware do I need to transmit that signal thru the
> house ? I'm new to the wireless technology Thanks again Alan
> "Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o LlwHcgHFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Or you can add wireless to the PC that dials in to the dialup service,
>> and share the dial up service using Internet Connection Service. You
>> would then connect the PPC to the PC wireless connection Ad-Hoc. Or if
>> you already have wireless in the house with an Access Point, again, share
>> the dial up connection.
>>
>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>> message news:o BLvnLXHFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> "Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You can probably try the http://www.wiflyer.com
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>>> http://www.geekmac.com
>>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>>> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:24:14 AM

The Wiflyer does not work with Netzero according to their website !!!
> If you just want to share the dial-up connection and have no experience
> installing a new card on your PC (let alone creating a LAN bridge or
sharing
> a connection), then it will be much easier to somply go the wiflyer way.

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>

> "Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Can you expand on this just a bit ? I would connect my PC to the
> > internet,then what hardware do I need to transmit that signal thru the
> > house ? I'm new to the wireless technology Thanks again Alan
> > "Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o LlwHcgHFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> Or you can add wireless to the PC that dials in to the dialup service,
> >> and share the dial up service using Internet Connection Service. You
> >> would then connect the PPC to the PC wireless connection Ad-Hoc. Or if
> >> you already have wireless in the house with an Access Point, again,
share
> >> the dial up connection.
> >>
> >> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
> >> message news:o BLvnLXHFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:24:15 AM

With NetZero and some other services, the predicament is that you need their
proprietary dialing software to log on to the service. That can't run on the
Wifi/modem box. The solution would be a little different if you want to
just connect one other device to through the PC, like your PPC, or if you
want multiple other devices connected.

If it is just one, you could get a USB WiFi adapter for the PC. Then you
would set up an adHoc connection between the PPC and the PC. You would turn
on ICS on the PC and that would let the PPC connect to the PC over wireless
and the ICS would forward internet requests that came from the PPC.

If you are looking to have multiple units attach through the PC, maybe a
laptop and the PPC, you would be better off with an Access Point. The wired
port of the AP would be conected to the wired ethernet port of the PC. Again
you would turn on ICS on the PC. The AP would act as sort of a wireless
switch, directing any other IP traffic to the PC to be forwarded by ICS out
the modem connection on the PC.

The second solution might be a little more expensive, as the AP will cost a
bit more than a USB WiFi dongle. Unfortunately the AP solution would
actually be easier to set up, even if you only want to use one device over
WiFi. Reason is that it is harder to set up an AdHoc connection and have it
work with ICS than to just set up ICS and let it handle the address
assignment and such.

"Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
> The Wiflyer does not work with Netzero according to their website !!!
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> If you just want to share the dial-up connection and have no experience
>> installing a new card on your PC (let alone creating a LAN bridge or
> sharing
>> a connection), then it will be much easier to somply go the wiflyer way.
>>

>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>>

>> "Apothecon" <sailerph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, Can you expand on this just a bit ? I would connect my PC to
>> > the
>> > internet,then what hardware do I need to transmit that signal thru the
>> > house ? I'm new to the wireless technology Thanks again Alan
>> > "Sven" <sejohannsen(at)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o LlwHcgHFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> share

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:23:27 PM

Sven wrote:
> Or you can add wireless to the PC that dials in to the dialup service, and
> share the dial up service using Internet Connection Service. You would then
> connect the PPC to the PC wireless connection Ad-Hoc. Or if you already
> have wireless in the house with an Access Point, again, share the dial up
> connection.

In my limited experience, I found that using Internet Connection Sharing
(ICS) on the PC resulted in way too many random dial-ups for my comfort.
I think I saw this mentioned in Windows help or on the MS website, so
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a problem that I created. Do you know of a
workaround for that issue?

If this random dialing is still an issue, I wouldn't recommend the
ad-hoc network route.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu