Zalman Passive Chipset Heatsink

Does anybody know why these can not be used on chipsets with built-in graphics core? Does that mean on-board graphics?

Also, it says if I do have on-board graphics I must meet these conditions:
1. Northbridge must be between CPU and PCI-E/AGP
but the second seems totally unreasonable and a lie frankly,
2. The CPU Cooler must be a reccomended one (IE. a Zalman ... nice promotional synergy there!).

Could I use it without their cooler - I mean, a heatsink isn't eletronic ... its hardly going to know, sounds like flabbergasting to me.
1 answer Last reply
More about zalman passive chipset heatsink
  1. Quote:
    Does anybody know why these can not be used on chipsets with built-in graphics core? Does that mean on-board graphics?
    Yes it means on-board graphics, im not 100% sure about the reasons tho.
    Quote:
    Also, it says if I do have on-board graphics I must meet these conditions:
    1. Northbridge must be between CPU and PCI-E/AGP
    but the second seems totally unreasonable and a lie frankly,
    2. The CPU Cooler must be a reccomended one (IE. a Zalman ... nice promotional synergy there!).

The reason they are recomending there own cooler is yes promotional reasons, but Zalmans 7000 series coolers blow air all around the cooler and it helps ensure the heat sink gets enough airflow.
    Quote:
    Could I use it without their cooler - I mean, a heatsink isn't eletronic ... its hardly going to know, sounds like flabbergasting to me.
    Yes useing Zalman coolers are not mandatory (even tho I'm useing them), as long as the heatsink is in the path of your cases airflow it should offer sufficient cooling. Personally I'm useing one on my Nforce4 motherboard and it cools good enough even with the slightly less then optimal position of the heatsink.

The Zalman ZM-NBF47 is your best choice, but again remember you are moving from active cooling to passive cooling and there is small but still possible danger of dammageing or frying your motherboard. And depending on your motherboard installation can range from relatively easy to total pain (mine was the total pain kind).
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Chipsets Graphics Overclocking