Sign in with
Your question

computer performance check and problems

Last response: in Systems
November 24, 2006 7:48:27 AM

I am working with computer simulations on a cluster of windows Computers. All of them are the exact same configuration with pretty common components (P4 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB memory, intel Mobo 865G and a 80 GB 7200rpm WD HD) and work fine.
However, one of these computers makes his calculations a lot slower (almost takes double the time). As there is no apparent hardware problem because the computer works fine, I can't point to any reason why it's working so slow.

Anyone has an idea on how to check or which software should enable me to pinpoint the exact problem or has an idea on what can be wrong?
November 24, 2006 8:47:26 AM

"start, settings, control panel, administrative tools, computer mgmt.....
check the event viewer, performance logs and alerts, device manager.

try scandisc and defrag, there are so many places to look, wish i could you more.........OH, update system drivers as well
a b B Homebuilt system
November 24, 2006 10:17:43 AM

My first thought is virus or spyware. It might not even be something so evil, maybe someone has something else running on that machine. I remember when I watched a computer lab at college, we had issues with some of the side computers. (not near the other ones, they sat in a corner.) Because they were hard to see the screen, students put P2P software on them, causing them to run slower then the other machines. My first thought is whats running on the machine in question, fix anything that shouldn't be there. My next thoughts are power/heat, network card/settings, or possible failing harddrive/other part.
Related resources
November 28, 2006 10:43:02 AM

thanks, i am rather thinking towards hardware problems but can't check that.

This computer is used only by 3 people and none of them installed anything that isn't supposed to be there.
It recieves regular updates (together with the other computers) and in no way there is any difference with the other computers (who work much faster).
It is blocked by a hardware firewall from the LAN and I highly doubt there is any virus or spyware on it.
November 28, 2006 12:08:24 PM

Quote:
I am working with computer simulations on a cluster of windows Computers. All of them are the exact same configuration with pretty common components (P4 3.2 Ghz, 2 GB memory, intel Mobo 865G and a 80 GB 7200rpm WD HD) and work fine.
However, one of these computers makes his calculations a lot slower (almost takes double the time). As there is no apparent hardware problem because the computer works fine, I can't point to any reason why it's working so slow.

Anyone has an idea on how to check or which software should enable me to pinpoint the exact problem or has an idea on what can be wrong?

Maybe it overheat, then the CPU speed throttle down. Check the cpu cooler and case airflow.
!