adam75

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
im hoping someone can help.

I have a new system with an X1800 Xt thats doesnt perform how it should, it runs worse than my 9600 pro on my old pc. (Quick EDIT: when i say performance, i mean in games. atm it runs CS:S with full gfx and stick to 60 fps which is fine, but not for an x1800 xt, which should run oblivion well but even on the lowest settings i only get 30/40 frames :()

The problem is i dont know why and ive tried everything, from reinstalling different drivers several times to browsing forums and trying whatever i can find.

Its basically not properly installed i think, and so isnt working how it should, which is an annoyance as i could of just bought a cheap card for the performance it gives.

Windows claims 'this device is working properly' and reads that its installed and that the drivers are there, so im stumped as to what to do.

I hope someone can help, and any offers are greatly appreciated. thanks in adavance.

Adam.

System Spec:

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
CPU: 2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+ AM2 Socket
Board: MSI MS-7260 1.0 K9N Neo
RAM: 1024 MB DDR2
PSU: HYPER 500w 12v dual rail power supply
GPU: X1800 XT connect 3D

(any more specs needed just ask)

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
What resolution are you playing at?

60fps for source, details up anything 1280x1024 and above is rather fine I might say. However what exactly are the specifications when your running Oblivion?

pauldh

Illustrious
Download 3dmark05 and with drivers set to ATI's defaults, run the default benchmark. Then submit it to the ORB upon finishing the test and give us your score. Better yet, post us a compare link. That system should score in the mid 8,000 range at stock speeds. If you score real low we know something is wrong. Otherwise it could be to do with resolution/settings, driver conflict, etc.

http://futuremark.com/download/3dmark05/

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Just a heads up.

30-40 fps outdoors in Oblivion is not exactly bad. You didn't specify your resolution or the degree of aa/af you're using. Like someone here already mentionned, it's best to benchmark your card with 3dmark before you suspect it's not performing like it should. If you run Oblivion with the same settings on your 9600, I suspect you'll be getting something in the area of 7-9 fps.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS